Bought 3M lens renewal kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 08:21 AM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie101
The clear coating is a urethane film.
The urethane breaks down over time, or even some polish over run from panel polished can degrade it quicker.

You want to sand it completely off, the 3m kit is great, then re coat with a optical coating like Oligo Silane.

In Australia we have a product(kit) called Glassylite that contains Japanese formulated Oligo Silane for final coating.

There was also another product that i could not get anyone in the US to send to me, its a clear urethane spray can, that sets up in UV light or even out in the sun.
Ah thats right: http://www.renulite.com/
I don't see anywhere on the website that you can order the Renulite. I sent them an email but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have heard once you start sanding the lights, you have to do it on a regular basis. Mine are not that bad and I don't want to have to do them monthly or even quarterly.
Old 09-20-11, 10:40 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before:

Pretty cloudy. The South Florida sun really does a number on these.

After:

Conclusion: Much better than before, but still not perfect. There is still a little cloudiness, but I will live with that for now. I am also going to put on some blue magic headlight sealer which should keep it looking good. I will also probably do the process again in a few months when it is cooler here. It was a little bit of a pain. Took about 2 hours.

One other thing. On the 99LS that I had the lenses were almost mint, and it had 190k on it when I sold it. To my knowledge they were never done. I wonder if Lexus changed materials in those lenses after the 99 model year.
Old 09-22-11, 10:20 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 3M Kit

Just one.....

Originally Posted by 64impalaSS
How many cars can you do with one kit?
Old 09-22-11, 11:38 AM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smm3
I don't see anywhere on the website that you can order the Renulite. I sent them an email but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have heard once you start sanding the lights, you have to do it on a regular basis. Mine are not that bad and I don't want to have to do them monthly or even quarterly.

ReNulite does not sell to individuals. They only sell to businesses. This was unfortunate since I think a spray on urethane would work much better than a polish that has to be reapplied every few months just like wax.
Old 09-23-11, 03:14 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B43088
Rev-01 u said people don't tend to take care of their headlight, besides soap and water is there anything else to do to prevent it from looking cloudy
i have my car detail regularly...and wax the lights too
Old 09-23-11, 03:24 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smm3
ReNulite does not sell to individuals. They only sell to businesses. This was unfortunate since I think a spray on urethane would work much better than a polish that has to be reapplied every few months just like wax.
Im sure there is someone on CL that could help out with this.... anyone know a detailer/ painter here on CL??
Old 09-23-11, 08:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you keep you car washed on a weekly basis and waxed a couple of times a year (including headlight lenses) and it is garaged you should never have yellowing/fogging of the exterior headlight lens. I usually keep my cars a minimum of 10 years and have never had a lens get yellow or fogged on exterior but my cars are always garaged (even during the work day most of the time) and I think that makes a huge difference. Cars left dirty for extended periods that are not garaged will almost always have fogged/yellowed lenses in just a few years. Exposure to pollution, temperature extremes, surface contaminants, and harsh UV light will do it.
Old 09-24-11, 06:53 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you keep you car washed on a weekly basis and waxed a couple of times a year (including headlight lenses) and it is garaged you should never have yellowing/fogging of the exterior headlight lens..
This isn't the first discussion about plastic headlight lenses where I have noticed that people who live in more moderate climates (Texas, Hawaii!) think it's easy to keep plastic headlight lenses from deteriorating. Very funny, guys.
Old 09-24-11, 04:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you keep you car washed on a weekly basis and waxed a couple of times a year (including headlight lenses) and it is garaged you should never have yellowing/fogging of the exterior headlight lens. I usually keep my cars a minimum of 10 years and have never had a lens get yellow or fogged on exterior but my cars are always garaged (even during the work day most of the time) and I think that makes a huge difference. Cars left dirty for extended periods that are not garaged will almost always have fogged/yellowed lenses in just a few years. Exposure to pollution, temperature extremes, surface contaminants, and harsh UV light will do it.
That is very true. I've seen a lot of newer cars that were never garaged have their headlights turn yellow within two years. Washing your car periodically can help a lot too.

However, my 99 Saturn is the exception to this. It's been outside since 2003 and the headlights still look brand new.
Old 09-25-11, 03:19 PM
Jsteezy87
Driver School Candidate

i bought the 3m kit yesterday and did my headlights today. very impressed. altough i will say, mine were so bad anything would have been better lol. i also did my tailights to remove the tinting teh previous owener did.

before...

after...

tailights...

Old 09-25-11, 03:30 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Very nice!!
Old 09-26-11, 12:25 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u forgot the wetsand step.. thats what gives it the smooth look
Old 09-26-11, 03:07 AM
64impalaSS
Driver School Candidate

That came out really nice.
Old 09-26-11, 05:58 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks great, nice work!
Old 09-26-11, 09:17 AM
sdbmw
Driver School Candidate

Did same on my E39 couple years ago, looked good... not anymore ... Need to polish again..

Quick Reply: Bought 3M lens renewal kit