LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How does the LS430 handle in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 08:39 PM
vegas1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Sounds like the LS would make more sense if I had a beater SUV or a Subaru Outback or something to use as a 2nd car when needed. I'm interested in all the 01-06 LS430 models. I like the Pearl White color the best, with the light interior (is that the one called Ecru?). I wish Lexus continued the two tone colors from the 90's-- that would be nice if you could get an LS430 with the white on gray colors, but none exists.
Old 08-25-11, 06:04 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^
Follow the link in the FAQ thread to the sales brochures for the various years. They will give you the various interior and exterior color combinations available for each year. There were changes between 01 and 06, especially 2004 refresh. Ecru is a comfort leather available only on the custom luxury and ultra luxury trim levels. Another beige-ish color was used on lower trim levels (cashmere in 04-06).

Good luck in your search. And yes, Subaru seems to be the unofficial state car of CO. BTW, my 07 Outback is for sale, but I'm not local.
Old 08-25-11, 11:45 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Not real good in my opinion. I have a spare set of 17" OEM rims with snows on them and the car is better, but not like a FWD car. My ES was MUCH better in the snow. If I had access to another vehicle, I would park it.
Old 08-25-11, 12:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn't....
Old 08-29-11, 01:45 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

MY LS is horrific in the snow. On the stock dunlops, the car would skate like a hockey player. It is downright scary! I now have Michelin MXV4's on the car, but have yet to see how much of a difference they make in snow vs. the dunlops. I really hate driving the car in snow. I don't feel safe at all.
Old 08-29-11, 03:35 PM
edarte
Pole Position

I drove my 2001 LS 430 throughout the winter in Ontario Canada, the US mid-west, and in the mountains of western Canada for nine years. Before I got winter tires the car handled very poorly in the snow. But with the right tires the car was fine in relatively deep snow even on some very steep uphills that stymied AWD vehicles without winter tires.

Now I have the best of both worlds with an AWD LS460 but I still would not go out in the winter without winter tires.
Old 08-29-11, 07:59 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Yeah, as stated by many, this is not the best car for snow driving. I drive my Silverado in the winter...
Old 08-29-11, 09:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am glad I do not feel unsafe in my LS in the winter so I do not need another car. It is heavy and plows nice and straight in heavier snow unlike my wifes fwd liter Camry which pulls all over the place. The plows do such a nice job here though in Wisco I rarely really find snow an issue and I just go slow when it gets icey. I drive my Van once in a while on actual storm days as the felt liners do load up with snow and that is a PITA.

I used to live in the Sierra and did AC work on ski patrol. Up early with my Nissan 4 X 4, snow up to the bumper, to load on the snowcats to ski cut runs packing 50 lbs of dynamite. That one year was interesting we got 750 inches and I guess I just got used to driving in snow.
Old 09-01-11, 02:53 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

I think the case for AWD and FWD might be overstated here. Car vs. SUV is another matter.

I’ve never felt unsafe driving my LS in the snow. I actually prefer RWD in the Minnesota winters. If the drive wheels break loose, the car’s behavior is very predictable - just steer into the skid to correct it.

A very different story with FWD, however. Combining drive & steering functions at the same (front) axle, means inconsistent, unpredictable behavior when a FWD car breaks loose. It’s harder to regain control, once it starts getting “squirrelly” on you.

AWD is theoretically “better” in snow than RWD and FWD - but for the other 8 months or so of the year (and quite frankly, on all but the nastiest of winter days), the extra weight, slower acceleration, higher price tag, nose-heavy handling, and reduced fuel economy of AWD are hardly beneficial.

With snow tires, my LS is a very fine winter car. I routinely pass FWD cars and even AWDs (with balding all-season tires on them) that are stuck in deep snow or on slippery inclines. You really have to live in extreme conditions to actually “need” AWD. The benefit of AWD (in a car vs. SUV) is further marginalized by the ultimate issue of ground clearance - an 8” snowfall is going to sideline you, regardless of whether your car is FWD, RWD or AWD. So, the number of “real world” situations where AWD will do what RWD absolutely CAN’T do in the snow are few and far between.

Whether a person perceives a car to be “good” or not in the snow is more a function of having the right (winter) tires on it, and his/her own comfort level with driving in less than ideal weather conditions.
Old 10-03-11, 04:22 AM
Sweetdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Good question, I've only driven mine is not too deep snow but had no problems. Have a SUV so when it snows I usually drive this.
Old 02-06-14, 11:46 AM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS 430 on Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 snow tires

On my 1998 LS 400 I had fairly worn Blizzak WS60 tires. On my 2006 LS my LM-60 Blizzaks are nearly new. To summarize snow driving in the bad winter weather this year, the LS has been nearly unstoppable. Only once, I was stuck turning around in the road in front of our house to back in to the driveway.(think running start/momentum from garage to get down the street) We have gotten about 2+ feet of snow since New Years, and our dirt, dead end road was last plowed around January 7th(about a month ago). My wife, who drives our Land Cruiser in the winter, loves the occasional day in the LS as long as there is not too much snow or ice. As stated earlier, in snow mode the car will slowly, but reliably climb the very steep hills we have here in Ann Arbor, Michigan... only with snow tires. I recommend snows to anyone ever telling me a story about being stuck on the way to work etc. The car feels great on the highway with the blizzaks in most any weather short of a blizzard or white out. I almost went with Wintersport 210s, but I think the siping, tread pattern, and rubber on the blizzaks are superior. The snow in the wheel wells(and subsequent rubbing sound when turning, accelerating, and braking) is about the most annoying thing about the LS in the winter. I clean out my wheel wells with a garden trowel every now and then. Snow driving in the LS will always be a relevant topic. I referred to this forum for advice before getting snows for the 98 LS, so I'm just passing on my personal experience.
Old 02-07-14, 05:01 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 02 LS handles pretty dang well in the snow now that I'm running the Blizzak WS70's on back. I'd like to have em on front but it works just fine with them only on back. These tires really let the LS perform in the snow.

With my normal tires, which I don't really like AT ALL, the car still handles extremely well. One day it was raining really hard as I pulled up to a stop light. As often happens, the car next to me wanted test the LS's engine. I always run with the VSC turned off and this day I had it off as I had turned it off earlier before the rain. We took off from the light and the road bent ahead and opened up from 2 lane to 4 lane at the bend. I hit the turn while accelerating over the water and the rear end broke free! It was predictable under those circumstances though not intended. The entire car turned about 70 degrees to the left and I drifted through the turn! The LS handled like it was on RAILS! Totally incredible! I pulled out of the turn looking like a seasoned pro. I learned from this experience, much like I have from my motorcycle wrecks(which made me quite a good rider as I've found where the limits are). Never drive in the rain with VSC off unless you need to spin the wheels. I often turn it off in the snow in order to get up hills.
Old 02-07-14, 08:30 AM
fangtl
Driver

Really depends on the tires and the extremity of the conditions. Had some all seasons a few years back during NOVA's snow storm and got stuck going up a hill in Arlington, once the tires spin and the snow packs the wheel well then the car's done. I try and carry litter with me these days whenever we are calling for anything for than 2-3"s
Old 02-07-14, 08:43 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Had an 03 - great car, but not in snow, particularly in the climate you describe (in my opinion). Tried snow tires as well - Traded for an LX.
Old 02-07-14, 09:26 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i live in alberta, canada and ski the rocky mountains ( Lake Louise) every weekend. i drive from red deer, so its about 3.5 hours one way, and ive never had a problem with my LS, the car is such a dream on the highway i am very happy with it, snow or not.

Quick Reply: How does the LS430 handle in the snow?