LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 Lexus ls 430 VS 04/05 Jaguar XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 09:09 PM
Jcp90ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus ls 430 VS 04/05 Jaguar XJ8

Its been 6 months since my 2004 XJ8 was deemed a total loss.
Lady ran a red!

I replaced it with a 2004 Lexus LS430. Great car, very reliable, fast, but
I made a mistake and drove a 2004 XJ8 at a dealer tonight and it brought back such great memories. I don't know if it was because it saved my life. (The other party passed away, from injuries).

I was thinking about selling the Lexus and getting a 04/05 XJ again.

Guys I know that the Lexus is a more reliable car, and holds its value, etc etc. Thats why I bought it in the first place. I need help to talk some sense into me.
Old 07-27-11, 10:47 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcp90ls400
Guys I know that the Lexus is a more reliable car, and holds its value, etc etc. Thats why I bought it in the first place. I need help to talk some sense into me.
You talked the sense into yourself with the first part of your comment...
Old 07-28-11, 04:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have never driven one but just the other day say a very nice loaded 04 with 70 k on it FSBO for 11,000.

Just read an automag review stating JD powers rated it second to Lexus in reliability after 90 days.

Poor resale value usually means something. What did they give you for your totaled 04? You/others are in my prayerts must of been a hell of an accident
Old 07-28-11, 07:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Do whatever makes you happy. Don't be influenced by others and wind up making a decision that you later regret. Don't try to blame others for your final decision. When you have an initial decision and then try to rationalize a different decision, many times you have made the wrong choice. Go with with your heart and don't look back.
Old 07-28-11, 07:33 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive what excites you. To borrow a slogan from a local establishment "Life is short. cars are cool."
Old 07-28-11, 08:24 AM
LSLex
Driver School Candidate

Agreed with other posts. You should ALWAYS get something YOU want...otherwise, you will regret in a few months and then still trade it for something that YOU wanted from beginning. But an LS is a excellent car!
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The XJ is a seriously sweet ride and one that was on the top of my list. Since I didn't have any Jag dealers closeby, I unfortunately never test drove one (though I still would love to drive one someday). Like others have said, get whatever your heart tells you to. If you're set on the XJ, then you will never really enjoy the LS that much.

That said, the LS is an excellent car and should go on forever with appropriate maintenance.
Old 07-28-11, 08:49 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to give Jag props on interior/exterior styling - super classy. never drove one but I say go where your heart is man. you can't go wrong
Old 07-28-11, 10:34 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

XJs are beautiful cars. But I likely won't own one because reliability is a huge priority to me so the LS430 is the car for me.

Just make important $$$ choices with your eyes wide open. Chances are on average that an XJ will be less reliable and cost more to maintain than an LS. As long as you are aware of that and if reliability is not a huge priority and an XJ makes your heart sing compared to the LS then go for it.
Old 07-28-11, 11:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Drive what you like.

What was the other car that hit you?
Old 07-28-11, 12:40 PM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is a public forum and you asked for MY Opinion, just getting that out of the way haha.
Personally i feel the Mercury Sable, I mean! XJ8, is one of the ugliest cars ive seen for the money. and lets face it.... back in the day (which was way back if u dont know ur back in the day time line) jags were sickkkk.... even lately they are starting to get their game right again. but we cant sit here and act like they were the quality they should be during this time period.
Lexus is sexier, more reliable, faster in my opinion, and more roomy.
You wanted my opinion and someone to talk u out of it. there it is.

just a side note, if u dnt like my opinion deal with it... thats why its not fact lol.
Old 07-28-11, 01:15 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousLS
this is a public forum and you asked for MY Opinion, just getting that out of the way haha.
Personally i feel the Mercury Sable, I mean! XJ8, is one of the ugliest cars ive seen for the money. and lets face it.... back in the day (which was way back if u dont know ur back in the day time line) jags were sickkkk.... even lately they are starting to get their game right again. but we cant sit here and act like they were the quality they should be during this time period.
Lexus is sexier, more reliable, faster in my opinion, and more roomy.
You wanted my opinion and someone to talk u out of it. there it is.

just a side note, if u dnt like my opinion deal with it... thats why its not fact lol.

There is a definite difference between the actual Jaguar based designs which are elegant and classically beautiful, and the abominations from Ford that have been foisted on the general uninformed public as "Jaguars" - the Jaguar "S" type (1999 Ford DEW98 platform) and 2001 X type (2000 Ford Mondeo platform), being a prime examples.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-28-11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 01:34 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
There is a definite difference between the actual Jaguar based designs which are elegant and classically beautiful, and the abominations from Ford that have been foisted on the general uninformed public as "Jaguars" - the Jaguar "S" type (Ford DEW98 platform) being a prime and extremely hideous example.
I drove next to an S-type (just a normal 3.0L one) with the license plate '4chinn'. I laughed quite a bit. If the owner really had '4chinn' he/she would probably be in an XJR or XKR, at least an S-type R..... Btw, driver was a real Dbag, trying to cut everyone off despite the fact that both lanes were going the same speed.
Old 07-28-11, 02:00 PM
94LSon20
Driver

My mother has an 01 XK8 with 34K, garage kept its whole life and its horrible. everything either leaks (the clamp that is on top of the windshield frame that holds the top in place leaked fluid all over the dash over night) worst a/c in a car. steering is very lazy. suspension is horrible in turns. BUT the engine has nice smooth power-band through the revs. IMO
Old 07-28-11, 03:10 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't imagine surviving an accident where lives are lost. Must have been awful.

I seriously considered buying a Jaguar. They are amazing cars, and I have had the pleasure in riding in and driving them ( other peoples) over the years. In my opinion, Jaguar's flagship level style and luxury is superior to Lexus in almost every way. As you move down the line to the lower priced models, the gap is less noticable.

I bought a 2005 LS, basic model. 8 months later I am happy with my decision.
Turns out the Lexus was "good enough" for me.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Stu; 07-30-11 at 07:22 AM. Reason: qualified my post

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus ls 430 VS 04/05 Jaguar XJ8