LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Offered a really low trade on my UL

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 04:57 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

japperwock,i have to disagree with you statement that poor people pay interest.everybody pays interest on something,so if your have a loan you must be poor?remember its the poor people that keep the world going around.jim
Old 07-07-11, 06:34 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones from the dealers are asking 32-36 for similar miles. I have every possible option including the chrome wheels. For a private seller, would 29-30k be reasonable if I have it inspected by Lexus prior to sale? It was CPO 8 months ago when I bought it and have only put 5k on since then. I'd be happy to provide a current inspection for a buyer.
Old 07-07-11, 06:43 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

i think 29k is dueable.i would try and sell it myself and ask 30-31 and let them make you a offer.theres two ways to look at it selling you car,do i want to sell it soon or do i want to let it sit on autotrader forever or craigslist.i have sold maybe 30 cars in my lifetime and if you cars is in outstanding condition you will sell it.price similar cars in a 200 mile area and price yours in the middle of the pack.you will sell it.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-07-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 06:47 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

KBB trade value for and 05 UL with 53K miles for zip code 43420 is about $27K assuming good / excellent condition. They can do better than $20K.
Old 07-07-11, 06:57 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

kbb is about 6-8 weeks behind in values.cars are selling for more then kbb now.auctions are at a premium now.i did a 200 mile for a 05ul in my zip and came up with nothing.the premiums are 27-28.5k with higher miles 24-26k.autotrader search.craigslist,ebay and autotrader is the best indicator of whats going on now.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-07-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 08:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
japperwock,i have to disagree with you statement that poor people pay interest.everybody pays interest on something,so if your have a loan you must be poor?remember its the poor people that keep the world going around.jim

Jim - I hear you. I know my statement is a bit stark but I stand by its basic premise. Too many people don't exercise the basic discipline and patience to save for what they want, instead of just buying what they cannot afford by using debt. It is very difficult to build any financial security by paying interest on consumer loans.

Borrowing money for appreciating assets makes sense, that's financial leverage. It makes economic sense to pay interest for assets that appreciate like real estate (bought at a non inflated price), or a good business investment, or a high demand-high pay education.

On the flip side - paying interest for a rapidly depreciating asset like a car is a bad idea.

Back on subject - trading in cars is almost always a bad financial move. The dealer has to charge you for their holding costs and for their costs of goods sold style fixed costs like salary, rents, inventory, floor plan charges, etc. The most expensive way to sell a car is to trade it in to a dealer. Dealers have to make a profit on every transaction and they also have to spread their huge overhead costs onto each transaction so you ALWAYS pay those costs when you do any transaction with a dealer. If you are on a budget and trying to generate cash - detail the crap out of the car and put it in auto trader.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-07-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 08:30 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up an 05 UL/PCS with 64K miles from a dealer for $23.6, so unfortunately I think around $21 might be about all a dealer trade might bring in this market.

It's too bad your post didn't come a couple of weeks earlier. I might very well have been interested in buying yours.

Congrats on the scholarship!!
Old 07-08-11, 05:13 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ty419
The ones from the dealers are asking 32-36 for similar miles. I have every possible option including the chrome wheels. For a private seller, would 29-30k be reasonable if I have it inspected by Lexus prior to sale? It was CPO 8 months ago when I bought it and have only put 5k on since then. I'd be happy to provide a current inspection for a buyer.

I found my Q45(Y33) on Craigslist for hella cheap bro. Might want to look into that for a change.
Attached Thumbnails Offered a really low trade on my UL-cimg0065.jpg   Offered a really low trade on my UL-cimg0066.jpg  
Old 07-08-11, 05:24 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Couple of more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Offered a really low trade on my UL-cimg0063.jpg   Offered a really low trade on my UL-both-cars.jpg  
Old 07-08-11, 05:44 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

you make a great deal at 23.6k for your 05ul,however that is not the average price they sell for.most will sell for more.when i sell a car i never factor in the lowest price as what i would sell mine for.i keep my cars in such good condition that 99% of people that test drive them will buy it at what i am asking.the other 1% are just kicking tires.one example.i bought a 07 classic silverado new and drove it 13k miles and sold it 13 months later and lost 72dollars.i bought it with employee discount and had coupons worth 3k dollars.the guy that bought it said he has been looking for a truck in this condition for over a year,it looks like its never been on the road.he was one happy camper.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-08-11 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 06:58 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

I was offered only $14K. ( I Paid $40k ) I said I'll send it off the F'in skyway. My car has dropped so much since I got it. I'll never sell it.

PS sorry y'all but this is the worst car I'ver ever owened
Old 07-11-11, 09:43 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Went by another dealership where my buddy is a finance manager and found out what the problem is. In whatever dealership software he was using, it turned out about 80 percent of the cars listed as UL were not actually UL cars. Dealers are purposely misidentifying them to drive traffic, pushing the average listing and selling prices down, which is where black book pricing comes from. About a third of the cars listed as UL by dealerships nationwide did not even have nav.

We can thank shady dealership practices for the discrepancy in pricing, as usual.

Anyway, I posted my car for sale on this site for 28k. I'l let it go here for a week or so before listing it on a national site because I can't stand the BS that comes with doing so.
Old 07-13-11, 08:40 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
you make a great deal at 23.6k for your 05ul,however that is not the average price they sell for.most will sell for more.when i sell a car i never factor in the lowest price as what i would sell mine for.i keep my cars in such good condition that 99% of people that test drive them will buy it at what i am asking.the other 1% are just kicking tires.one example.i bought a 07 classic silverado new and drove it 13k miles and sold it 13 months later and lost 72dollars.i bought it with employee discount and had coupons worth 3k dollars.the guy that bought it said he has been looking for a truck in this condition for over a year,it looks like its never been on the road.he was one happy camper.

Condition certainly is a big difference maker and I do believe I got rather lucky in my find.

I'll make a mental note about how you take care of cars in the event you're ever selling something at a time when I'm in the market to buy something...
Old 07-13-11, 08:50 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ty419
Went by another dealership where my buddy is a finance manager and found out what the problem is. In whatever dealership software he was using, it turned out about 80 percent of the cars listed as UL were not actually UL cars. Dealers are purposely misidentifying them to drive traffic, pushing the average listing and selling prices down, which is where black book pricing comes from. About a third of the cars listed as UL by dealerships nationwide did not even have nav.

We can thank shady dealership practices for the discrepancy in pricing, as usual.

Anyway, I posted my car for sale on this site for 28k. I'l let it go here for a week or so before listing it on a national site because I can't stand the BS that comes with doing so.

I hope everything works out well for you. Ultimately things are worth what someone is willing to pay and there's no doubt you're selling a gorgeous care in great condition with low miles.... Very desireable !!!
Old 07-13-11, 09:42 PM
mrxeb38
Rookie

I think 20k for a trade in is pretty high considering dealerships low ball the hell outta you. Its just business though

Quick Reply: Offered a really low trade on my UL