Smog sensor settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 11:24 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smog sensor settings

Look what i found.

When you hold the AC recirculate button this menu pops up. I'm not sure how exactly it controls the smog sensor but as you can see there is low, medium and high setting. Hope this is not a re post.

The following users liked this post:
Diplocar (07-21-21)
Old 07-07-11, 12:03 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you,

This is very useful.
Yes, it has been mentioned in the Tips/Tricks (merged threads), but it is a bit hidden there.
And I could find no picture till you took the trouble of making it and posting it for us to see.

No harm in mentioning things more than once.

Thanks again,

Jac
Old 07-07-11, 05:05 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you have to have the AUTO light illuminated on the recirc / outside air button in order for the smog sensor to operate. But, I don't remember whether setting the smog sensor toward HI makes it more sensitive (switches to recirc sooner) or more tolerant of smog (switches to recirc later). Anyone?
Old 07-07-11, 08:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The high setting makes the smog sensor more sensitive and changes the airflow to inside recirculate quicker. I always leave mine on the highest setting. See no reason not to. Why do I want to allow any outside odors into my car if I can prevent it?
Old 07-07-11, 07:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the sensitivity between HI and LO is not that great. I had found this setting right after cleaning out the smog sensor and putting on HI sensitivity really didn't make it jump to re-circ. that much faster. You still get a slight sniff of smog no a truck before it kicks in. But hey, better a small sniff than a few big gulps.
Old 10-19-12, 07:52 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Smog Sensors

Originally Posted by xuserx04
Look what i found.

When you hold the AC recirculate button this menu pops up. I'm not sure how exactly it controls the smog sensor but as you can see there is low, medium and high setting. Hope this is not a re post.

I have a 2009 LS-460 and if anybody has a list of "TIPS" like I got on the 430, I Would appreciate it. It may be under the "Maintenance" menu, I just haven't looked. Am I lazy or what ? Thanks for any secrets of the 460 that I don't know about.

--Carnut
Old 10-22-12, 07:57 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I didn't know where to find that option before.

Found it now!
Old 12-22-12, 03:21 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

My 04LS is ALWAYS on recirculation when Auto mode is selected. I have it set for medium low. Is San Diego that dirty? I thought we had good air. It's literally NEVER on fresh air. Is there something wrong with my car?
Old 12-22-12, 03:38 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aypues
My 04LS is ALWAYS on recirculation when Auto mode is selected. I have it set for medium low. Is San Diego that dirty? I thought we had good air. It's literally NEVER on fresh air. Is there something wrong with my car?
My two-cents worth is, NO, you do not have clean air in a city that large, and secondly, your setting should be on at least Medium to Medium High to ensure a better safeguard to change for "Recirculating" to "Outside" air. Or, change it manually. I have mine set on Medium High and it changes to fresh air.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-13, 09:52 AM
kl323
Pole Position

Hey guys, I come from the IS forums.

Where is the smog sensor located? Someone mentioned cleaning it a few post up. I'm asking because even with mine set to HIGH... it will NOT change to recirc even with the truck right in front of me and my cabin smelling real bad.

Does the cabin filter have anything to do with the sensitivity? Thanks!
Old 02-01-13, 09:56 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sensor itself is by the horn in the LS430.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-cleaning.html

Last edited by xuserx04; 02-01-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:07 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kl323
Hey guys, I come from the IS forums.

Where is the smog sensor located? Someone mentioned cleaning it a few post up. I'm asking because even with mine set to HIGH... it will NOT change to recirc even with the truck right in front of me and my cabin smelling real bad.

Does the cabin filter have anything to do with the sensitivity? Thanks!
NO, the cabin filter has nothing to do with the smog sensor located in the grill of the LS-430. I would change the setting to Medium and see if your air intake changes. I understand the sensors are not all in the exact same place also. So you may have to get some more advice on where it is on your car. Good luck.
Old 02-01-13, 10:08 AM
kl323
Pole Position

Great! Appreciate the replies!
Old 02-02-13, 06:45 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

People! Clean your smog sensor at least once a year. It's easy and rewarding.
Old 07-22-13, 01:12 PM
TheLexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Smog Sensor Musing

This is a great thread and promises to solve my A/C issues.

Scenerio: A/C mix from driver and passenger sides was different even with sync'd controls. Noticed Fan noise was louder than usual under almost all conditions - like a mixing door was not operating correctly. Also noticed that pushing the reciculation/auto button did not make a noticeable difference. Saw on an earlier thread that by holding the recirc/auto button IN when starting the car a list of codes would be revealed in the Nav screen. In my case, the SMOG SENSOR came up.
Hit the CL boards again and found this thread.

Originally thought I had a freon leak or a clogged mixing door, but if my results equal what others have found: - WOW!

I'll get under the hood before the weekend and report back. This could be a major $$$ saver. Imagine what one might have to pay to have someone troubleshoot this issue before this simple fix is found.

Thanks much to all the SMOG SENSOR pioneers before me.

Last edited by TheLexor; 07-22-13 at 01:13 PM. Reason: This is a 2004 LS430

Quick Reply: Smog sensor settings