LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Have to replace my engine - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 08:30 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Have to replace my engine - advice needed

Took my 2004 LS430 into my Toyota dealer for regular maintenance and they recommended I change my timing belt (7 years old, 75k miles). I said ok. Well, to make a long story short, a day later they informed me something went wrong and when they test drove it the blew the engine. So they are putting a new (used) engine in for free. The replacement has 70k miles on it and comes with a 1 year parts/labor warranty.

What questions should I ask? What concerns should I have? What should I ask for?

Thanks
Old 07-01-11, 08:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replacing an engine is major surgery, almost every system in the car is affected. You should specifically tell them (preferably in writing) that ANY gremlins that show up in any system will be repaired with no questions asked.

Any problems that are created by the swap will most likely show up in the first year.
Old 07-01-11, 08:45 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice dealer ! Can we have the name and location ?
Old 07-01-11, 09:02 AM
User 82021
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its pretty straight forward. not that big of a deal, i would tell them to put a waterpump on it, and new plugs. they are inconveniencing you after all. putting a used motor isn't a big deal, but maybe ask for an additional year warranty from them since it isnt your fault that the motor had an issue while it was in their care.

you have the upper hand, and the more calm and adult that you handle the situation the more likely they will be willing to help you. they arent going to want bad press.
Old 07-01-11, 12:14 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Ask them to do the timing belt deal while the engine is out and show proof that use engine is 70k and paperwork/documentation just in case something went wrong later on.
Old 07-01-11, 01:40 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Why are they not giving you a new engine
Old 07-01-11, 02:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Absolutely no way you should take that deal - I would refuse the used engine under the current terms . Unless they can prove that used engine was meticulously cared for (with a fully documented maintenance history) and they give you a 3 year warranty on the engine I would tell them no thank you, please give me a new engine. Your first call should be to Lexus regional customer service manager - tell them the story. Its an embarrassment that the Lexus dealer blew up your motor doing a simple timing belt.
Old 07-01-11, 04:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If these Toyota cats can't even put in a Lexus timing belt how can they put a Lexus engine in?

Dear sir, When can I expect my new engine from Lexus crated in and put in at a Lexus dealer of my choice?

Or Dear sir, please find a Certified LS from a southern dealer with a perfect service history and ship it to my nearest Lexus dealer for me to pickup. I will take an 06 CL with under 50 K.
Old 07-01-11, 05:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

The way you described the intial post there is nothing "free" about there offer.

Checkered history now, inconvenience, unsure care, gremlins, future worrys uneeded problems,

I would be frick'in livid ya mistakes happen have them keep the mistake.
Old 07-01-11, 07:16 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Sounds like a good shop to work with.

You won't get a new engine.

They made a mistake and they are correcting it, thats all you can expect.

The law is they have to make you whole again... no better ... no worse.

They are being up front. taking care of it. Offering a warranty.

If you want to turn this into a fight you wont win. In court they will have proof they offered to make you whole and you wanted more.

Take the deal and get on with life.

Old 07-01-11, 07:26 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing they somehow set the belt wrong, the timing was off and all the rods and valves got bashed up because of the incorrect adjustment. Otherwise, I don't see how the engine can get blown just on a test drive.

First, you're not getting a new engine because you did not bring in a new engine. You brought in 70K engine and you're getting a "replacement" engine of same/simliar mileage.

Wow... hopefully you atleast get a nice loaner for the time being. Not sure if Toyota will offer that. You'll probably get a Camry.
Old 07-01-11, 07:31 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warminwisc
If these Toyota cats can't even put in a Lexus timing belt how can they put a Lexus engine in?
Thats what Im saying.
Old 07-01-11, 09:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I would accept a used engine only if Toyota can provide adequate documentation that the replacement used engine was maintained as well or better than the engine in my car and that the engine was not run hard or abused..and I would insist on a 3 year warranty, not one year. It can take way longer than a year for premature wear and oil burning etc to show up on their potentially bogus used engine. So well documented engine and 3 year extended warranty free of charge. That is close to making making the owner whole.

Simply shoving in some misc. used undocumented engine with a 1 year warranty is not making the customer whole - not even close. Who knows if that engine was properly maintained, maybe it was run hard and abused, maybe it was raced - who knows?

I would say NO - that deal sux and I would demand better from Toyota. And I guarantee you I would indeed win in court if they did not work with me in good faith and offer up a well documented engine, a 3 year extended warranty, and a sincere and abject apology for the permanent damage they did through their gross incompetence to my car's long term value.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-01-11 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-02-11, 05:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I would not let this dealer put in my engine period, and you always ask for more than you want and offer up less than you want to give. I am sure they can get a engine with say 20 k on it I would be more happy to trust, and not hit my resale value, then a 70 k mill from a front end crash. Verify its history so you do not get like a flood car or something thats been sitting around from 01.

If ya got another car to drive take em to court that will peak their interest to give a little more.
Old 07-02-11, 08:05 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

If I was in this situation, the dealer that did this major screw-up would be buying the car from me at retail and I would be moving on to another car with a documented maintenance history. An alternative would be for the dealer make an even trade with no money exchanged and provide a similar LS430 with similar miles and documented history. The dealer might end up selling your car with its replacement engine at auction.

Quick Reply: Have to replace my engine - advice needed