LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

alternative to jacking up the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 12:35 PM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternative to jacking up the car

I wanted a safe and relatively easy way to be able to work under the car.
It is absolutely necessary to use the parking brake and block both rear wheels.
(but we do that always anyway, right?).
I looked for ramps to buy, but the ones I found were just too small (not wide enough for the tires of the LS430....).
So I made my own ramp.
The front wheels are raised by about 14 cm (5.5"):

The car drives up this ramp very easily.
I could add an extra inch or so by putting the car in "height high" mode.
An extra step (= 4 tiles per side) might be more comfortable to work under. Not sure yet.
It should suffice for an oil change I guess.

A new floor jack is under way (the old one gave up).
I feel more safe with the car on stands i.s.o. with the raised wheels...

But when you are under way, and suddenly feel the urge to inspect how rusty these LS430s get, any side walk should be able to get you the required tiles

Jac
Old 05-03-11, 05:31 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jac430
But when you are under way, and suddenly feel the urge to inspect how rusty these LS430s get, any side walk should be able to get you the required tiles
Fortunately, far less rock salt is used on roads in Canada and the USA during Winter than in the U.K. and Europe. A number of less corrosive chemicals, such as calcium chloride, are used instead.
Old 05-03-11, 06:16 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of 2x10s in various lengths that do the same. I bought and cut them for loading one of my past vettes on a trailer.
Old 05-03-11, 06:53 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good ideal, I like
Old 05-03-11, 07:57 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Something about that setup using multiple paver blocks does not look safe to me - I have no idea what kind of compression strength they use on that material, but I would not trust my life to it. I suggest you get a set of pro ramps and jack stands or a floor jack and jack stands.
Old 05-03-11, 11:27 PM
jac430
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Something about that setup using multiple paver blocks does not look safe to me - I have no idea what kind of compression strength they use on that material, but I would not trust my life to it. I suggest you get a set of pro ramps and jack stands or a floor jack and jack stands.
I fully agree with you. With the car on the blocks I did not have the courage to get under the car, so something tells me I don't trust it either.
The suspicion that it is unsafe is probably without much ground. These tiles are used on almost all pavements in this country, and very often cars are parked with two wheels on the pavement (which is not allowed btw).
These tiles are laid on (white) sand. But despite the weight of cars, you don't see cracked tiles. I checked (and selected) the tiles that were on top of each other for flatness, because sometimes there is a small blob of cement on them, which would certainly give an uneven weight distribution and could cause a crack.

I have jack stands (used them for cleaning my brakes) and the new floor jack will arrive today or tomorrow.
I could not find any pro ramps over here.

Working on the brakes is only possible with the car on stands, so just consider my post as thinking aloud

Jac

Last edited by jac430; 05-03-11 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 11:30 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Hmmm.. scary!!
Old 05-03-11, 11:41 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a very smart idea!i would still squeeze in some jck stands just in case. imam do this the next time i need to get under. but imma raise the rears too.
Old 05-04-11, 05:31 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a problem getting a jack under my car so I just bought some ramps. They work great.

Old 05-04-11, 06:16 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I have a problem getting a jack under my car so I just bought some ramps. They work great.

I've got some of these as well, but I don't trust them either...I still use jack stands as backup.
Old 05-04-11, 06:30 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Crawling under a car should always require a belt and suspenders safety plan to insure you can crawl back out alive. This means using a primary lift method (ramps or jack) and backup jack stands. And don;t forget good quality wheel chocks - the strongest jack in the world will fail if the car rolls a few inches.
Old 05-04-11, 10:17 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Reminds me of these:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/wood-block.htm
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-mod-pics.html

I think wood can be strong enough to use as a ramp for the LS430, provided it is constructed properly.
Old 05-04-11, 10:25 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest if you are going to stick with the paver method, extend the paver on the other side just in case you don't stop in time at the top.

My method would be to jack the car up and place stands underneath with the jack still in place as a backup. And if possible, have another person with you just in case.
Old 05-04-11, 10:41 AM
jac430
Driver

You are absolutely right: safety first.
But these are all the tiles I have.
I first tried 1-2-1 and 2-1 tiles to see if there was any displacement of the tiles. But they stay in place when I let the car go up the "ramp".
Then I used up all my tiles on the 3-2-1 stack. I put a street-stone (I don't know the proper name for it) on the end of the stack, and I could clearly feel that the wheels touched that. But I put them away for the photos.

My new jack arrived, but I have to raise the car (quite?) a bit before I can use the jack.

The ramps of Boomer01 and McSwine are not available over here. At least I could not find them.
In this country most cars are much smaller than the LS430.

I have always used stands so far. And sure intend to keep on doing so.

Thank you all for reminding again of the safety aspects. You are never "too safe"!

Jac
Old 05-04-11, 11:00 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Only jack I could fit under to raise the front of the vehicle from the approved subframe lift point is a trolley jack... ramps are a great idea for basic services where you don't need the wheels unloaded (oil changes, etc.).

Anyone have experience with these? They were on sale for $40 and they have 20% coupons as well... hmmmm

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnum-...ock-67722.html

Quick Reply: alternative to jacking up the car