LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Minor Upgrade - HID Fogs w/Pix

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 09:17 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
so if i want to upgrade my stock fogs, i can get a pair on ebay for $39 (if they still have it)?

do you have a link?
Link to eBay http://tinyurl.com/64k7bec

Came in 2 days from California. Literally plug and play. Did not need all the extra wiring it came with.

Reminder if you haven't changed the fog bulb before, to remove the factory bulb, just twist counter clockwise about a quarter or less turn to remove. Grab the L ship connecter and twist. No need to unscrew the two Philips on the ring around it. If its really tough turning by hand, use a pair of pliers. When placing the new one in, line up the notches and turn clockwise until it locks in. A pretty simple procedure if you know what you are doing. One side might take longer as you get the hang of it, but the next side would be a breeze once you understand the concept.
Old 04-27-11, 09:23 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by sojah
i too want to see a 6k hid in my drl spot. will an hid ballast fit in that spot? what size bulb would you put in there cuz i actually have a set of 3k & 6k left over brand new 2006 hid bulbs so all i would need is a pair of cheapo ballasts.....
I don't see why it wouldn't fit as you can place the ballast pretty much anywhere as the lead is long enough. What I'm looking for is the Bi-Xenon kit so I can have both DRL and high beams but they don't make it for 9005, only other sizes. My other concern is the aiming, would placing HID in the DRL spot blind other drivers?

Last edited by airtime; 04-29-11 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Its 9005 instead of 9006
Old 04-27-11, 10:23 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how was the connections. was it easy? can u tell me how u did it
Old 04-27-11, 10:55 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by akabond
how was the connections. was it easy? can u tell me how u did it
Easy. Take unplugged wire from factory bulb, then plug into the ballast. Ballast output wires then connects to the HID bulbs. Its male/female so you cannot make a mistake even if you want to. I think a 5 year old can figure it out.

Test before you put everything back together. Note: you have a 50/50 chance of getting the plug into the ballast the correct way, if it doesn't light up, just turn it around.

Its incredible how a 35w lights up so bright. They also do sell a 55w HID kit which would be insanely bright.
Old 04-27-11, 12:29 PM
davatron88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question airtime- where did you zip tie the ballasts to? Is there a spot on the liner?

thanks
Old 04-27-11, 12:38 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
I don't see why it wouldn't fit as you can place the ballast pretty much anywhere as the lead is long enough. What I'm looking for is the Bi-Xenon kit so I can have both DRL and high beams but they don't make it for 9006, only other sizes. My other concern is the aiming, would placing HID in the DRL spot blind other drivers?
i meant 9006 my bad....

so is a 9006 what the drl bulb is stock on our vehicles?? if so than this is a no brainer for me.

by putting an hid in the drl spot you are only gonna have them on when daylight hours or when you flash on your highbeams so even if it is bright as hell who is gonna care if its daylight then its daylight and i don't care, but if its dark out then there must be a reason i wanted my brights on anyhowzer...

on my old gs i found a bulb that still shined somewhat bluish at half power (it was a purplish bulb normally but shined blue-ish under half power of the drl's (just like our ls430's do) but when you put the high beams on it was still a usable amount of light being shined.

i wonder what the light output would be like compared to stock if you put on your highbeams but had hid bulbs instead of stock bulbs????
Old 04-27-11, 11:08 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted my ballasts on un-used brackets under the headlights,up behind the fog lights. They hang there quite nicely,and are away from any potential splash damage.
There's a tonne of room in behind the guard liners.

As for aim,I haven't adjusted mine away from how the factory setup the fog lights,and the spread is quite good. Lights up the whole road directly in front of the car,and several metres out on both sides of me. No oncoming cars have flashed or abused me yet,so I doubt it's annoying anyone else. I'd know about it if I was,as people aren't backwards about coming forwards with stuff like that where I live...

Justin...
Old 04-27-11, 11:43 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HIDs look a lot better compared to your halogen set up. Im also thinking about adding hids to my fogs. Any more pics?
Old 04-28-11, 04:12 AM
Yeayou808
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone seen or heard someone convert a regular 430 to and UL package or atleast added the the rear cooler and ac controls??
Old 04-28-11, 04:59 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i saw the inside of my trunk or what is behind the seats a lot on monday and i can safely say its the most complicated looking trunk i've ever seen. i was originally thinking about removing the back of the mini fridge for an air pass thru, well after seeing all the ducting and complicated stuff back there i will not ever think about doing that again. i think it would be very very difficult, not worth the cost and not necessary. the rear seats are nice but i saw those too and it is way too complicated to add to a non UL car in my mind.
Old 04-28-11, 03:42 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Agreed. I had the boot trim out of my car recently adding some dynamat sheeting and the space taken up by the rear A/C, fan blower and it's plumbing is almost scary.
You could fit another set of golf clubs or three cased rifles in there without it!

Justin...
Old 04-28-11, 03:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

There's more to the rear A/C than what's behind the rear seat. There's the freon line from the common A/C compressor in the engine bay (plus the required valves and controls). The cooled rear air is supplied to vents above the rear doors, surely not an easy task to add those. Then, the rear A/C controls are located in the rear armrest which also includes controls for the sound system.

You'd have a better chance of just getting rid of you car and get a UL than trying to incorporate all these items. Probably be cheaper also.
Old 04-28-11, 10:15 PM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by airtime
Link to eBay http://tinyurl.com/64k7bec

Came in 2 days from California. Literally plug and play. Did not need all the extra wiring it came with.

Reminder if you haven't changed the fog bulb before, to remove the factory bulb, just twist counter clockwise about a quarter or less turn to remove. Grab the L ship connecter and twist. No need to unscrew the two Philips on the ring around it. If its really tough turning by hand, use a pair of pliers. When placing the new one in, line up the notches and turn clockwise until it locks in. A pretty simple procedure if you know what you are doing. One side might take longer as you get the hang of it, but the next side would be a breeze once you understand the concept.
thanks much airtime...

i'll be ordering my 9006 kit as soon as i figure out what color to get...

should i get the 5000k or 6000k? i want it to match my factory hid low-beams...

wish me luck as i've never replaced the fogs before...
Old 04-29-11, 04:36 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i found it easier for me to get to the fog bulbs from just underneath the front bumper danxp ^ ^ ^,, not saying its the best way but for me it was easiest. i tried the wheel well first and now i go through the underneath.

my friend ordered 5k (GS) and i ordered 6k (LS) and when we compared mine were almost more white (like a crystal white) but with a light hint of an icy blue, sorta like a bmw (in my opinion). the factory headlights are closer to 5k and if you get 6k you will notice how non pure white the stock headlights (HID's) truely are. i think the 6k looks cleaner in the fogs than 5k but 5k is closest to stock hid's.

in my opinion the 5k looks like older tech and the 6k looks like newer tech.
Old 04-29-11, 08:38 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by Yeayou808
Has anyone seen or heard someone convert a regular 430 to and UL package or atleast added the the rear cooler and ac controls??
I have not seen anyone convert and as many have said above, a lot of work. I have frig, not much use in reality. It is cool to have as a conversation piece. The AC / radio control is nice but again, I never saw the appear of separate AC for front and back passenger as the temp in an enclose car will be pretty much the same as it will balance out. The recline seat is another matter as that does add comfort.

Quick Reply: Minor Upgrade - HID Fogs w/Pix