LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is there really a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 04:55 PM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there really a difference?

I currently own a 1999 LS 400. I'm considering moving to a 04-06 LS 430. I've driven several of these - some with air suspension and double pane glass - Custom and Ultra Luxury; and some without. I really want the maximum in smooth ride and quietness, but I've not been able to tell much difference on cars with these upgrades.

Is there really a noticable difference or is it so subtle that it can hardly be detected?

PS: Thanks CarGuy89 and Jabberwok for the insightful response to my question on the 05 Ultra value. I really think I'd feel better about owning a base or Modern instead - unless I'm giving up a real improvment in ride and quietness.
Old 04-18-11, 05:35 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice a definite difference both with the double-paned glass and air suspension. You won't notice it every moment, but longer drives really illustrate the differences. The air suspension also gets you full-time dynamic shock adjustment in both modes.

The rear air conditioning of the UL helps to cool down the whole car faster and adds a lot of air circulation and filtration. I personally love the auto door closers and the feel and look of lots more leather (on the console, door pulls, dash, etc.) on the CL and UL. These things really make the LS430 stand out for me.

All of this is of course on top of the UL "wow" party piece, the rear executive seating package, which you may or may not have any use for.

That said even if you choose to pass on these options, which obviously do add complexity, even a base LS430 is quite a car and you will by no means feel deprived.
Old 04-18-11, 07:13 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Be aware of the wheel size and tire pressure of the cars you are test driving. Cars with 17" wheels (or 18" wheels with lower tire pressure) will have a softer ride, with or without an air suspension. Drive a bunch of cars a decide what you want / can live with. If you think a Modern Luxury with 17" wheels provides an appropriate ride, they are far more prevalent than CLs or ULs.
Old 04-19-11, 05:36 AM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

It always seems to me, when I drive a 04-06 430 that it really doesn't improve on the ride or quietness of my 99 LS 400. My 400 only has 74K miles and is in near perfect conditon and there is no real reason, for me, to move to a 430 unless I get a noticable improvement in the ride and quietness. Many of the additional gizmos on the 430 are of little or no significance to me. I plan to keep the 400 as I may actually like it better than the 430.

I find it almost impossible to determine in a test drive - even a fairly long one - how well I'm going to like the car over the long term.
Old 04-19-11, 06:12 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In your situation I'd definitely keep the LS400.
Old 04-19-11, 06:38 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would still be driving my 95' LS400 today if it had not have been totaled. I miss the fact it had 250k and still rode like a dream.
Old 04-19-11, 08:24 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I could be of some help! If you like your LS400 a lot still, have no problems with it, and don't really prefer the 430 to the 400, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend a lot more $$ to replace something that won't make a whole lot of difference to you. I've never had the pleasure of driving a 400 so I really don't know how these 2 compare, but from what I hear the 400 had a better ride quality b/c of smaller wheels (16s vs 17s and 18s on the 430).

Should you decide to move to the 430, you won't be disappointed either. The 430 is easily the best all around car I've had so far. It does everything well, from daily driving to weekend fun.

As for trim packages, if you sit in the back often, or if you drive clients around frequently go for the UL as that tailors to backseat passengers. If you're like me and is the only who ever drives the car, then modern luxury or custom luxury is all you really need. Custom will give you nav, laminated glass, radar cruise and more leather (like UL). Modern lux just gives you nav (which integrates backup cam, bluetooth, voice activation). The thing is the screen integrates the function of radio presets/tuning, climate and other things so should the screen break, you will lose a few things. If you prefer a portable GPS system, then go for the premium (a lot less to go wrong on those). Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-19-11, 08:30 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

[QUOTE=davelex]It always seems to me, when I drive a 04-06 430 that it really doesn't improve on the ride or quietness of my 99 LS 400.

The only improvement will be better hp performance and handling. Doesn't seem like you care about appearance? I like the look of the 04-06. You lose the coushy ride if you have the 18" wheels.

I drove my clients LS460 for a bit and thought I'd be "roughing it" when I got back into my Ls430. Definately not the case. My Ls430 was still the same amazing car to me. Not worth getting into a car note debt to move into an LS460....yet

Last edited by JLAWS; 04-19-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 08:44 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

I had a 1999 LS400 and loved that car. Often, I think that it rode smoother than my 05 430, probably something to do with the 16's on the 400 and the 18's on this car. Also, I think I liked the seat better in that car. If all you care about is ride quality and quietness, I'd keep the 400.
Old 04-19-11, 02:51 PM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input, folks. I drove the Ultra 05 430 today and it felt very nice but, again, not much different than my 400. Like TY419 above, I prefer the seats in my 400 to the lounge chairs in the 430. I also like the styling of the 400 at least as much as the 430. I know this is a personal preference thing. The 430 looks more substantial than the 400 which can look almost delicate. The 400 has lower beltline and cowl and more glass and this is a BIG factor to me. I hate the feeling of most newer cars - slits for windows, high cowl and hood, thick pillars and terrible rearward visibility. Every time I drive one of these things they feel like a tank or armored car. Get back in my glassy, airy 400 and I breathe a sigh of relief. The 430 ceratinly is not as bad as newer cars but it still has reduced visibility compaired to the 400.

Think I'm going to pass on this Ultra but will probably keep watching for a premium or maybe modern. I don't plan to give up the 400 even if I try a 430.

PS: The 400 is governed at 149mph vs the 430's 130. At least I can pass a 430 at 19 mph at top speed!
Old 04-19-11, 05:40 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck Davelex I don't know whether or not you've got any help deciding to get an LS430 or not, but I think if I keep reading your posts I will end up w/ buying an LS400!

I think I know where your vascillation comes from. I had a first generation Acura Legend coupe and then a later iteration of the model, a first gen TL. At the time the decision was easy as I needed a four door car. Thinkin' back, while the TL was a very good ownership experiance I really wish I had never gotten rid of the Legend since it was more fun to drive and had nice curvy bodylines - sexy, for a car.

In the case of LS400 vs 430 they are quite similar in look and driver/passenger experiance. It sounds like your LS400 is in great condition and still low miles. For you newer does not necessarily seem to be better as your present car sounds like it pushes your buttons better than the 430. If you do change your car I hope you don't have seller remorse.

Wait a minute. I don't recall you saying you were getting of rid of the 400 so there, you can have both!
Old 04-19-11, 06:03 PM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Exactly what I was thinking! I'm certainly going to keep the 400 if I buy a 430 - at least until I'm sure I like the 430 better. Like you, I've sold or traded cars and later regretted it.

Bought my 400 in 04 with 16K miles and have enjoyed it (and fanatically maintained it) up to it's present 74K miles. Rides, drives and looks just like it did at 16K miles and I'm sure it would continue to please me for a long time.

I've just got the itch for something new - but maybe if I relax a little it will go away.
Old 04-20-11, 07:50 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

A set of 430 wheels for a little freshening and some fresh shocks/springs might be enough to put the itch to buy a new car on hold.
Old 05-06-11, 10:24 AM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Found a super nice, one owner, 06 430 with flawless car fax and complete Lexus dealer service history. 27k miles, moonlight pearl with cashmire leather and modern lux pkg. It's now in my garage along with my trusty 400. The 180 mile drive home reinforced my initial impressions of the 430 v 400. I like the more solid and rigid feel of the 430 but don't like the ride (has the 18's) nearly as well as the 400. It not hard or harsh but always "busy". Nearly constant minor jiggling on surfaces that the 400 runs smooth as glass on.
I'll need lots more time to get the full measure of this new one but, for now, I'm sure glad I kept the 400 with only 74K miles. Dealer tried hard to get me to trade it and made some tempting offers but I just couldn't let it go - thankfully.
Old 05-06-11, 10:37 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new addition! Glad you ended up keeping both. Post up some pics when you get the chance. In the meantime enjoy the new ride

Quick Reply: Is there really a difference?