LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

oil change DIY question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 09:28 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change DIY question

I intend to do some DIY on this car in the future.
Mainly for 2 reasons:
* the dealer is very expensive
* the local dealer has a questionable reputation

I guess some things I should be able to do myself.
I am not a car mechanic, but with some help from you, I am convinced that the relatively easy things should be possible for me.
A time-belt change is certainly beyond my possibilities and equipment.

Le me start with a (stupid?) question about oil change:
If I raise the front of the car by, let's say, 20cm (8 inches), can I then still drain all the engine oil?
(Or is it an advantage that the engine is at an angle?
It would work if the drain plug is (with the car raised) at the then lowest point.
Otherwise it would not be possible to drain all the oil)

To be honest: I have not looked under the car yet

Thanks for your advise.

Jac
Old 04-13-11, 12:32 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

buy some ramps and you will be good to go.
Old 04-13-11, 12:37 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

When I do my oil change I feel it is best to raise the car up only on the drivers side because the drain plug is facing the passenger side and that allows the pan to empty out almost completely.

Then remove filter, drain, clean, reinstall plug and filter and refill.

Old 04-13-11, 02:22 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another tip would be to cut the plastic shield under the car where the filter is located so that you don't have to unscrew half of it each time. It may already have been done if the dealer has changed the oil. You just bend it down to change the filter. It makes it alot easier.
Old 04-13-11, 06:32 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS change is super easy. Follow some suggestions (cut the panel if not already cut, lift on driver's side only) already given and you'll be done with the change in like 10 min. Easiest car I ever did oil change on. Filter and plug all right in front of your face once lifted up. No extra stretching or fumbling for filter location.

I have an '04, so 5 qts brings you up to middle of hash marks, 5.5 qts right to top line.
Old 04-13-11, 11:42 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The LS change is super easy. Follow some suggestions (cut the panel if not already cut, lift on driver's side only) already given and you'll be done with the change in like 10 min. Easiest car I ever did oil change on. Filter and plug all right in front of your face once lifted up. No extra stretching or fumbling for filter location.

I have an '04, so 5 qts brings you up to middle of hash marks, 5.5 qts right to top line.

I think you just sold me on doing the oil changes myself... I hope my dealer (or dealers!!) precut the holes. I gotta check
Old 04-14-11, 02:40 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Change

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I think you just sold me on doing the oil changes myself... I hope my dealer (or dealers!!) precut the holes. I gotta check
Very good for you. I feel that oil change is one of the easiest things to do on a car that's both not overly time consuming and easiest to save big $$$ when you DIY. I read all the time "I can't be wasting my time..." but you waste time driving to the shop, waiting at the shop, coming back from the shop, and on top of that paying in some cases $30 above cost on the change. What? That's not money spent also?

When I say 10 min. I mean it really only takes 10 min. (if you're not **** with getting every last dripping of oil out). When you put the filter on, you should handtight until contact and then another 3/4 turn. If you hand tighten on, you can hand tighten off next time, so no need for wrench. Therefore, the pan will drain in like less than one minute (I just let it drip out about 15 min because I'm the **** type). The hardest part is jacking the car up and putting on jack stands.

Anyway, have fun everyone. After you're done, you'll be thinking "why didn't I do this earlier" and you'll fell like you can now tackle the whole car (not recommended )
Old 04-14-11, 01:04 PM
jac430
Driver

Thank you all for your replies!
This should give me enough confidence to do it.

Thanks.

Jac
Old 04-14-11, 01:17 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought 5 qts bring it to the top line.
Old 04-14-11, 08:27 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good for you. I feel that oil change is one of the easiest things to do on a car that's both not overly time consuming and easiest to save big $$$ when you DIY. I read all the time "I can't be wasting my time..." but you waste time driving to the shop, waiting at the shop, coming back from the shop, and on top of that paying in some cases $30 above cost on the change. What? That's not money spent also?

When I say 10 min. I mean it really only takes 10 min. (if you're not **** with getting every last dripping of oil out). When you put the filter on, you should handtight until contact and then another 3/4 turn. If you hand tighten on, you can hand tighten off next time, so no need for wrench. Therefore, the pan will drain in like less than one minute (I just let it drip out about 15 min because I'm the **** type). The hardest part is jacking the car up and putting on jack stands.

Anyway, have fun everyone. After you're done, you'll be thinking "why didn't I do this earlier" and you'll fell like you can now tackle the whole car (not recommended )

any tips on cutting out the hole for the filter and the plug?
Old 04-15-11, 06:49 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default keep your sawsall away form the lexus people!

An oil change should not require cutting the undercover right? Mine has an access panel that swings down after removing one 10mm screw. What are you suggesting should be cut in this undercover? Please post a pic of your cut part so we can see what you are referring to, if you will.

Thx
Old 04-15-11, 07:16 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just use the access panel as well - I dont mind removing 2 screws each time I do an oil change. I want as much of the engine compartment clean and protected from road debris as possible.