LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 06:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the SL2Vi and have played a video from my camcorder that I put on the iPod. Yes, you can only play when parked with the emergency brake on. It's really a novelty as far as I am concerned and wasn't a real consideration on my choice. Just something to show the grandkids that they are on the cars video. No big deal.
Old 04-07-11, 06:46 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting SCC1 & iPod in glovebox

Today, I had some time to do the final mount in the govebox, drilling some holes in the air filter access door to run the Sirius tuner and antenna wires, as well as the iPod connector wire.

With pictures being worth thousands of words, here are some pictures:
Name:  Glovebox1.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  73.9 KB

Here you can see the holes I drilled, and how the iPod press fits into the glovebox:
Name:  gloveboxinstall.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  78.0 KB
Old 04-07-11, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Very useful post - and excellent pics. It really is pretty easy once you get past the learning curve - I had to redo mine a couple of times, once to correct a rattle with some foam and then again to address a loose connection on the adapter. By the third time I was opening it up pulling it apart and reassembling everything in maybe 15 minutes total - (note my car is non Nav so its 2-3 less steps and items to dissemble).

I definitely appreciate your work methods - organized approach, clean work area, using towels and tape to protect the car, using the right tools. Bravo.
Old 04-14-11, 09:36 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up with details and pics. Thank you for taking the time out to put together this tutorial
Old 05-29-11, 03:30 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was looking for directions on how to do something similar and came across this thread. Very excellent write up! The pictures and explanations are first rate. Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly document this process for the rest of us. I know it will help me reroute the XM antenna that the dealer installed on the dash.
Old 10-23-11, 03:47 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Default Update: 1st SL2i unit caused GPS signal problems

Just an update on my Vaistech interface installations:

As it tured out, my original SL2i iPod unit was causing interference with the GPS signal. A replacement unit from Vaistech solved the problem and got my navigation back on track

I drove around for a couple of months, fat, dumb, and happy, not realizing that I never had a GPS lock. Then I began to notice that my navigation would sometimes put me miles away from my true position.

I suspected the Vaistech units and contacted their support/help to ask if they knew of such issues. Sure enough, they had the issue in the past and asked me isolate which of the two units was causing the problem. Popping out the SL2i resulted in the the "GPS" icon in the left upper corner of the nav screen to show up within a few seconds...something I hadn't remembered seeing since the original install.

Within a week, I had a new unit from Vaistech (with a same day turn around at their location), popped it in, and have been trouble free since.

With my over 2 hours of commuting each day, I can't imagine being without the satellite radio or my music collection....all controlled through the nav screen. I've also recently started to load podcasts on the iPod...Adam Carolla has three great podcasts... You never have to miss an interesting part becaused you arrived at work...It's waiting for you to continue at the end of day.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-20-17)
Old 12-08-11, 07:53 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I'm new to Lexus and this forum i want to try this DIY Excellent post!! Super job documenting your steps in writing and photos. Thanks.
Old 02-11-12, 07:09 AM
WTSherman
Driver School Candidate

Question Follow up questions on your install

MDEC,

Great job on your post. I have a 2006 GX-470 with navigation and would like to accomplish your exact setup. I have a few questions for you:

1. In your configuration, is the satellite signal going directly to your receiver or is it using an FM signal to accomplish the connection between the satellite feed and your receiver?

2. I noticed your Sirius/XM antennae is considerably smaller than one built on top of a car with OEM satellite hookup. Do you ever have any trouble with your signal dropping out (other than in parking garages, tunnels, etc)?

3. I live in metro Detroit. Can I pay you to do my install?

Thank you,
Scott

p.s. has anyone out there attempted this on a 2006 GX-470?
Old 02-23-12, 01:05 PM
mywong23
Driver

thanks for the excellent writeup and photos.
you've given me the inspiration to pull out a busted CD changer for repair;
and to install an iPod interface, too.

looks like you only needed a flat and a 90 degree prybar ?

plus magnetic screwdriver and 10mm nutdriver.

mike
Old 02-23-12, 06:40 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Looking at this continuing post of iPod connectors, I notice that I now have 110 Playlists on my VaisTech SLi2. All are albums, and this exceeds a previous description that says you can only have 99 playlists.

I love this unit and couldn't do without it. I don't listen to the radio and this is absolutely perfect. I print out my playlist on excel spread sheet so I have an index available in the car if I need it. But since my playlist is alphabetical by musician, I can usually find what I want fairly easily.

This should be an accessory in every LS430 music lovers!
Old 04-25-12, 06:27 PM
Sactown01
Driver School Candidate

Wow. Very impressive work. I'm in the process of just getting the iPod interface I don't want Sirius radio I have it in another car and I don't use it much. Would that be less work than what your procedure shows? I have a 2001 Ls 430.
Old 05-17-12, 01:43 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

This post is sooooo helpful. Thanks, thanks, thanks. I am EMBOLDENED. I have the yellow gizmos.
Here's to manly endeavors!
Old 05-25-12, 08:59 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

GREAT post, thanks so much.
Got this done in about two hours - just installed the SL2S for Sirius, not the ipod. I think doing it the next time would be more like 30 minutes.

A few very minor suggestions/additions:
First, getting the bottom trim off to start the whole process was harder than it looks. (The one with the seat heater controls) It was so "deep" in the dash, that the pry bar couldn't get a good grab on it without applying a lot of lateral pressure to the beige trim next to it. I found it I went in next to the trim piece above (with the dollar bill in it) - much more carefully than the picture shows!!) I could get the right side popped out part way.

Secondly, I found a "magnetic nut driver" set (also from harbour freight), which was $4 was VERY helpful. All the screws I took out were hexagonal on top, so it worked GREAT. The set I had was SAE (hate to be ignorant, but isn't Toyota going to be Metric?) - but the set worked AOK since the bolts were all fairly loose. They are only holding trim on. Next time, I'll see if I can't get a metric set. These things will come in handy all around the house!

Finally, my radio unit had a white plastic wire-retention ring that got me a bit confused, since you have to pop it open before you can pull the radio out far enough to get a good look at it. I thought some pics might help -- you open it by pulling on the release tab on the bottom side of the ring.
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation-img_2438.jpg   Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation-img_2439.jpg   Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation-img_2441.jpg   Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation-img_2443.jpg   Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation-img_2445.jpg  

Old 05-26-12, 06:47 AM
boilerroom
Driver School Candidate

Fantastic writeup!
Old 05-28-12, 03:42 AM
jpmackin
Driver School Candidate

Incredible patience. Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Vaistech Sirius SL2s & iPod SL2i install 2006 LS430 w/ navigation