LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for a 04 - 06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 05:43 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 04-06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips and Market Price

Im looking for a DD for <24k that is reliable gets at least 18 mpg and preferrable has a fuel tank of at least 18 gallons. Im currently looking at the Ls430 and an 08 STI (dont ask) a few BMWs / MB fit but they dont seem like cars you can own with out a warranty.

Any tips on where to look ive found only 2 of them online. The 2 features I want are the air suspension(nice to have) and the radar cruise control (I drive alot of miles)

Looking at prices it looks like the ULs are 20k?

what should I pay?

should I get a low mileage one that is more? or a high mileage one is cheaper and use the money I save for maintenance(or mods

I have a total budget of say 26k, It looks look I can get a +04 ls430 for 15 - 25k.

Thoughts opinions? Any other cars I should be looking at?

Its seem my 2 options are
1) ls430 UL + Air Controller + Rims
2) ls430 ML + Coils + Rims

What should I look for when I visit the car? I know on the UL to look for leaky shocks but that is about it.

Random fact Im pretty familar with Toyotas so I can do 90% of work my self.

Last edited by Sentinel; 03-11-11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:05 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to have air suspension, then UL is your only choice. However, if you only have to have radar cruise, then you expand your choices to CL (custom lux) and UL. While UL is the most complete package, those air springs/struts are very expensive to replace out of warranty (which seems like a concern for you). I would recommend either the CL or ML trim. ML gives you navigation (Bluetooth, rearview cam, ML sound sys). CL adds laminated glass, radar cruise, headlamp washers, more leather for the interior (I think that's it).

As for price, it all depends on the mileage, condition, year, and trim level of the car. Also, buying from a Lexus dealer will likely be more expensive, but they're usually a higher quality used car. CPO might also be something to look into if out of warranty ownership is a concern. While these cars are problem free, it's nice to know you won't have to spend anything if something big breaks (CPO is 3 yrs long and will add a few thousand).

I picked my current one up in the summer, 04 ML with 25k mi and CPO for around $25k. A bit on the high side for an 04, but I couldn't ignore the low miles and CPO (and color combo but that's personal taste).
Old 03-09-11, 06:57 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Well it depends on the price if I get a UL for a good price then I could pay to get the shocks fixed if necessary..

CPO is an option but in NYC they are 25 - 30k which is too much and none are UL or CLs.
Old 03-09-11, 07:03 AM
lx470kid
Driver School Candidate

I dont recomend the air suspension in NYC, our roads sucks. But if it's your personal preference then go for it.
Old 03-09-11, 07:11 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470kid
I dont recomend the air suspension in NYC, our roads sucks. But if it's your personal preference then go for it.
I'd think the air suspension would be better for rough roads (vs. coilovers)
Old 03-09-11, 07:18 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Whats prices did you guys pay if you bought them recently? What issues do you or have you had?
Old 03-09-11, 07:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I avoided the UL because I didn't want to deal with the known air suspension issues. I got seduced by the semi aniline leather and additional leather trim of the CL though, and searched for that. Probably the most practical LS to buy is the Premium package which gives you the heated / cooled seats and parking sensors, but omits the dated nav system.

If I lived in NY, I'd search for a car that hadn't seen NYC roads, parking dents, and winter salt/slush. One advantage you have, though, is that if you search beyond UL units there should be a fair number of cars to choose among.
Old 03-09-11, 08:02 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Is that navigation that bad?
Old 03-09-11, 08:39 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The overall look and feel is 90s-ish as it was introduced in 2001. It's inferior to what's in the current RX.

Some folks like to go with a stand-alone Garmin-type nav unit. Others like the look and feel of the factory nav. I felt the non-nav center stack looked too Toyota-esque for my taste. I also wanted the backup camera and bluetooth that accompanies the nav.
Old 03-09-11, 08:41 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

It looks like the 4th gen one is decent? I want an 04 one I think they have the 4th gen NAV.
Old 03-09-11, 09:03 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

You'd need an 06 for it to still qualify for CPO. Look for that to be 30k or so.
Old 03-09-11, 10:04 AM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the UL, you won't be disappointed, it has everything.
Old 03-09-11, 10:35 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

I am thinking the UL what should I look for when inspecting one aside from the typical car stuff.
Old 03-10-11, 09:17 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well make sure there are no accidents or paint work done to it.
If it is a one owner car, that would be great.
Yes it has to have a Clean Title.
You can tell a lot by looking at the car, how is it taken care of.
Test drive, It can reveal a lot about the condition of the car.
How the interior feels like, Do You feel comfortable in it?
Non smoker, No rips and average wear and tear according to the mileage will help.

Those are the main points to consider.
If You are willing to travel, we just got one and it is a beauty. For more information You can PM me.
Thankyou and good luck in Your search for a nice LS.
Old 03-11-11, 12:03 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by focsle
Get the UL, you won't be disappointed, it has everything.
Leather quality, quiet and smooth ride is what you'll get with UL. Also don't forget about a fridge.

Originally Posted by jaymk
Well make sure there are no accidents or paint work done to it.
If it is a one owner car, that would be great.
Yes it has to have a Clean Title.
You can tell a lot by looking at the car, how is it taken care of.
Test drive, It can reveal a lot about the condition of the car.
How the interior feels like, Do You feel comfortable in it?
Non smoker, No rips and average wear and tear according to the mileage will help.

Those are the main points to consider.
If You are willing to travel, we just got one and it is a beauty. For more information You can PM me.
Thankyou and good luck in Your search for a nice LS.
This gentleman here sounds like he knows what he's talking about. You should probably write some of what he said down.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I avoided the UL because I didn't want to deal with the known air suspension issues. I got seduced by the semi aniline leather and additional leather trim of the CL though, and searched for that. Probably the most practical LS to buy is the Premium package which gives you the heated / cooled seats and parking sensors, but omits the dated nav system.

If I lived in NY, I'd search for a car that hadn't seen NYC roads, parking dents, and winter salt/slush. One advantage you have, though, is that if you search beyond UL units there should be a fair number of cars to choose among.
Caddy, as always, right on point.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 04 - 06 Ls430 UL in NYC Tips