LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering Looseness (Is that a word?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 06:37 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Two bushings are DIFFERENT and each should be installed in it's proper place.
Old 08-22-13, 05:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
just wanted to update this thread with the current part # for the bushings

45516A 50030 $36.99 at Sewell w/CL discount

45516C 50040 $32.71 at Sewell w/CL discount

can anyone explain to me why one pair is more expensive than the other when they look identical??

Just to make sure, you need to order 2 of each of these parts. 4 total bushings. Correct?

So the total to replace the steering rack bushing through Sewell would be

2 x ($36.99)=$73.98
+
2 x ($32.71)=$65.42

Total = $139.40

It does really irritate me that these rubber bushings probably cost Lexus 50 cents to stamp out.
Old 08-22-13, 06:15 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are correct.

And no, toyota uses only high quality rubber for original bushings. That's why they last 100k+ miles.
Old 09-18-13, 02:14 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced 3 bushings on my 04 UL yesterday with 112K miles. I don't know how you guys did it. I wasn't able to get enough clearance on the driver back bushing to remove it therefore after an hour of futile attempts I gave up. I just replaced 3 bushings and perhaps do the driver back busing on my next attempt. Yes, I did move the wheel to the left, right and every which ways.

I only have the LS430 for 1 month and let me tell you the the improvement on the steering is really dramatic even only 3 bushings got replaced. The steering is much tighter and less bounce over bumps. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 09-18-13, 02:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I replaced 3 bushings on my 04 UL yesterday with 112K miles. I don't know how you guys did it. I wasn't able to get enough clearance on the driver back bushing to remove it therefore after an hour of futile attempts I gave up. I just replaced 3 bushings and perhaps do the driver back busing on my next attempt. Yes, I did move the wheel to the left, right and every which ways.

I only have the LS430 for 1 month and let me tell you the the improvement on the steering is really dramatic even only 3 bushings got replaced. The steering is much tighter and less bounce over bumps. Thanks everyone for your help.
Sounds great. I also ordered a set for my UL a few weeks back. Both Lexus of South Atlanta and Sewell are on back order. Should be here soon though. I notice the vibration when going over cobble stone especially. Can't wait to get them in and installed. I'm also doing the sports rear sway bar with sport bushings. Heard good things about that as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-19-13 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 05:20 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Sounds great. I also ordered a set for my UL a few weeks back Both Lexus of South Atlanta and Sewell are on back order. Should be here soon though. I notice the vibration when going over cobble stone especially. Can't wait to get them in and installed. I'm also doing the sports rear sway bar with sport bushings. Heard good things about that as well.
Why did you have to mention of the sport rear sway bar. I have forgotten about it. I just placed an order for it.
Old 09-19-13, 04:28 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Why did you have to mention of the sport rear sway bar. I have forgotten about it. I just placed an order for it.
If you get it installed before I do please share your experience.
Old 09-20-13, 02:46 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the wander from my 03 I will be ordering these parts in the near future. Good write up.
Old 06-06-20, 01:33 PM
ChrisLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh wow

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just replaced the rack bushings today and also all sway bar ones since I had the car in the air.

After chasing road wander and throwing parts at the suspension for the past year, this is what finally fixed everything. No more wheel grabbing around town over uneven surfaces and back to no wandering on the highway. Took about an hour and a half for everything.

If you have an older LS, this is definitely worth doing. Got my OEM parts through MyLParts.
Old 06-07-20, 02:06 AM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisLS430
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just replaced the rack bushings today and also all sway bar ones since I had the car in the air.

After chasing road wander and throwing parts at the suspension for the past year, this is what finally fixed everything. No more wheel grabbing around town over uneven surfaces and back to no wandering on the highway. Took about an hour and a half for everything.

If you have an older LS, this is definitely worth doing. Got my OEM parts through MyLParts.
I just did this recently too. The rack bushings didn't make any difference for me (and I even used the Daizen poly bushings), but the sway bar links and bushings totally solved my wandering issue.
Old 08-13-21, 07:51 PM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
Good luck Stu! FWIW I replaced my steering rack bushings on my SC430 this weekend. The bushing design is very similar to the LS. I had choices, though, with the SC of using aftermarket polyurethane bushings instead of the OEM rubber. I chose Daizen polyurethane bushings. And, wow, what a difference. I just don't see a down side to using stiffer steering rack bushings. The directional stability and precision is instantly noticeable. I just can't imagine a down side. Prior to changing the bushings I did the "move the steering wheel and look for excessive rack movement" and didn't think I'd gain much by changing the bushings - Wrong again! It's night and day.

The bushing that I removed "looked good" but they're about as firm as gummy bears.
Like clockwork, this thread will be resurrected again for its annual update.

Just did my steering rack bushings at 139K miles and noticed little improvement. I was a bit concerned about using the Daizen poly bushings. The oval shape of the OEM bushings is what is allowing most of the movement, and the added stability of the Daizen bushings comes from removing that excess space. It has been mentioned previously in this thread, but became clearer to me when replacing the bushings and understanding their significance, that the side to side movement in the bushings is very much intentional

I know little about the mechanics of hydraulic power steering, but might removing that space and engineered tolerance increase the force required to be produced by the power steering system and perhaps contribute to premature rack failure?

As a side note, what made the biggest difference for me was switching to GS-F/RC-F lower control arm rear (caster) bushings several months ago. That significantly eliminated any wander I had and improved handling, echoing some of the improvements others have noticed from replacing their steering rack bushings. However, that came at the expense of more road feel. Perhaps that's why I noticed no difference with replacing the steering rack bushings.