LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Watch your surroundings -

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 12:56 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah something like that would get my Spidey senses tingling. Glad we didn't hear that you had been a victim.

Don't forget about using the "panic" button on the Key fob. That could have startled them and drew alot of attention of others. I have airhorns with my stock horns and it is ridiculously loud when they go off. No one is immune to jumping when I get on my horn
Old 02-16-11, 12:59 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Yeah something like that would get my Spidey senses tingling. Glad we didn't hear that you had been a victim.

Don't forget about using the "panic" button on the Key fob. That could have startled them and drew alot of attention of others. I have airhorns with my stock horns and it is ridiculously loud when they go off. No one is immune to jumping when I get on my horn
you know I had my FOB in my pocket with other keys and it must have held that panic button long enough to set it off - IMO the factory horns are loud enough!
Old 02-16-11, 02:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Its a good idea to keep your eyes open in parking lots - 20 years ago I "almost" got mugged in the parking lot of a bi-lo store in Atlanta. It was close to 10 pm and parking lot was pretty deserted and I had just bought a bunch of household stuff and was loading my trunk up when I notice two guys walking up on me when they were still about 20 feet out. The funny thing was at that point I had been seriously training in Wing Chun and Kali for almost 6 years. And had my kali sticks (basically rattan clubs about 2.5 feet long) in the trunk laying on top of my workout bag. I quickly pulled out the sticks and whipped them around just to loosen up and said "Let's go". The two guys stopped dead in their tracks like they had hit an invisible wall - eyes bugging out - they turned and walked away without saying a word. Being 20 years younger, I was pumped to boogie at that point, so I was a little disappointed they reconsidered their plan to jack me up.... but in retrospect I am certainly glad nothing happened.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-16-11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 02:08 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Its a good idea to keep your eyes open in parking lots - 20 years ago I "almost" got mugged in the parking lot of a bi-lo store in Atlanta. It was close to 10 pm and parking lot was pretty deserted and I had just bought a bunch of household stuff and was loading my trunk up when I notice two guys walking up on me when they were still about 20 feet out. The funny thing was at that point I had been seriously training in Wing Chun and Kali for almost 6 years. And had my kali sticks (basically rattan clubs about 2.5 feet long) in the trunk laying on top of my workout bag. I quickly pulled out the sticks and whipped them around just to loosen up and said "Let's go". The two guys stopped dead in their tracks like they had hit an invisible wall - eyes bugging out - they turned and walked away without saying a word. Being 20 years younger, I was pumped to boogie at that point, so I was a little disappointed they reconsidered their plan to jack me up.... but in retrospect I am certainly glad nothing happened.
haha - I feel ya on the "20 years" younger part - and I love Martial Arts ESPECIALLY Wing Chun and will practice that for life. have you seen "IP Man" yet? you should rent it - best MA flick ever.
Old 02-16-11, 03:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you change the unlock setting from all doors to just one door whithout seeing the dealership?? this has always bothered me when some shady characters are just sitting in their car on my passenger side when i walk up to my car.

all my smart handles unlock all doors presently...

btw i don't carry a gun, cuz i would shoot it
Old 02-16-11, 03:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^it's only through the dealers

Glad to hear you're ok

Nowadays, everyone is distracted with the stupid cell phones. They're yapping on their cell phone with the neck and shoulder while trying to load their trunk.
Tell me, how aware of your surroundings now when you're not even paying attention?

Same goes with kids I see walking home. They got both ears plugged up with the ipods, looking down, and a hoodie over their head-how the hell are they able to pay attention? You wonder how some of these kids are kidnapped?
Old 02-16-11, 04:09 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually I'm pretty sure you can change the unlock setting yourself without a dealer visit, I've not messed with mine as they are currently set to only unlock the handle that is touched which is the way I want it. But i do remember seeing it in the manual.

BTW you may want to report this to the store secuity, even though nothing happened this time let them know people may be casing the lot for future robberies/carjackings.
Old 02-16-11, 04:58 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
... posted tips:

...caddyowner: drive a junker if you have to travel to a shady place. (joking!)...
LOL I'm not sure if your saying my advice is a joke or my Subaru is a joke. But, driving a car that doesn't attract attention is not a joke. A number of folks have commented in the past that our cars attract vandals and other unwanted attention.

This type of situation is another vote for power door closers that can allow you to enter the car without slamming the door.

I could never sneak into my car after shopping at WM. I do all my grocery shopping and it takes time to fill the back of the Subie.

Too bad you couldn't alert the police to possibly nab these perps before they steal from or injure someone else.
Old 02-16-11, 05:12 PM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
how do you change the unlock setting from all doors to just one door whithout seeing the dealership?? this has always bothered me when some shady characters are just sitting in their car on my passenger side when i walk up to my car.

all my smart handles unlock all doors presently...
1 Unlocking a single door
2 Unlocking all the doors
3 Unlocking side doors
When you push the “LOCK” button together with the
“TRUNK” button on the smart key for about 5 seconds
with the ignition switch off, you can change the settings
for door unlocking.
The settings will change from the door on which you take hold
of the outside door handle, to all the doors, to the doors on the
side closest to the smart key, and then back to the door on
which you take hold of the outside door handle.
After setting, a tone sounds and the multi−information display
shows which setting is selected. Outside the vehicle, one beep
sounds when a door is set to be unlocked, 2 beeps sound when
side doors are set, and 3 beeps sound when all the doors are
set.

from the 2005 online manual at MyLexus
Old 02-16-11, 06:25 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. So will this work like someone mentioned earlier in this thread where the drivers door will only open the drivers door but by touching the rear door handle will unlock all of the doors, cuz this is ultimately what I am looking for??
Old 02-16-11, 06:43 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow glad you made it out of there without incidence.
Old 02-16-11, 07:26 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

You can never be too careful these days. If my wife and I are going into a rougher area,we take her pathfinder over the 430.

My tip: when you pull up at an intersection,always leave enough distance from the car in front of you to be able to pull out and go if someone tries to come up from behind,or from alongside. crossing onto the wrong side and getting away is far better than sitting put and being attacked.

backing into a spot in a parking lot is advisable also. you can just pull straight out and go,as opposed to having to reverse out first,and then go. Also,if someone follows you to the car,you are behind the door as you get in and have covered yourself from an immediate threat. most attacks are from behind. A guy is less likely to try and attack someone that's looking them straight in the face.

Justin..
Old 02-17-11, 05:18 AM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. So will this work like someone mentioned earlier in this thread where the drivers door will only open the drivers door but by touching the rear door handle will unlock all of the doors, cuz this is ultimately what I am looking for??
I don't know as I haven't tested it.
When I got my car it was set to only unlock driver's door and I switched it to all. Now thinking I should change it back, however I rarely go to shady places and practically never in the dark. Best option would be as you describe.
Old 02-17-11, 05:51 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
LOL I'm not sure if your saying my advice is a joke or my Subaru is a joke. But, driving a car that doesn't attract attention is not a joke. A number of folks have commented in the past that our cars attract vandals and other unwanted attention.

This type of situation is another vote for power door closers that can allow you to enter the car without slamming the door.

I could never sneak into my car after shopping at WM. I do all my grocery shopping and it takes time to fill the back of the Subie.

Too bad you couldn't alert the police to possibly nab these perps before they steal from or injure someone else.
Haha sorry bout that caddy owner - I was just joking with you not at you - my LS430 makes all my other cars I have driven seen like junkers - I also owned a Suburu outback long long ago.

but you are right these cars attract attention from the wrong people.
Old 02-17-11, 06:30 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope,

Setting it to the one-door-position will just unlock the one door of which you grab the door-handle, independent of which door that is.
Pushing the "unlock" button on the remote will always unlock all four doors, independent of the setting.

Hope this helps.

Jac

Quick Reply: Watch your surroundings -