LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Driver's Seat for LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 05:47 PM
kevin123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
Mine is brutal on long rides so what I do is pull the seat bottom back very far...where the cushion slides under the backrest thus giving me a smaller seat area. This for whatever reason makes it comfy again. So for everyday I have the bottom out near full then halfway through a two to three hour trip I slide the seat bottom back and have no issues.

Not sure how many cars offer that bottom seat feature but I think that is part of the problem most people tend to have that part extended too far and as you can see in the picture that put a lot of pressure on your hip area as it declines to the thinnest part of the cushion. I am 6 ft and 275 with an 02 ls430 with 139k so my car seat has seen better days...lol
Agreed on ways to get comfortable.
I have a 2 inch cushion that helps some but makes the seat extra warm during the summer months, without the cushion feels like I am sitting in a mini tub even with the seat raised up.
Not a fan of hollow sports bucket seats in 2014 IS 250 Fsport, 2013 model seats were much better.
Lexus dealer recommended Tim's Upholstery shop in Duluth, GA, in case someone has similar concern. Will update if they are able to do something.
Old 12-10-14, 03:14 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin123
Agreed on ways to get comfortable.
I have a 2 inch cushion that helps some but makes the seat extra warm during the summer months, without the cushion feels like I am sitting in a mini tub even with the seat raised up.
Not a fan of hollow sports bucket seats in 2014 IS 250 Fsport, 2013 model seats were much better.
Lexus dealer recommended Tim's Auto Upholstery in Duluth, GA, in case someone has similar concern. Will update if they are able to do something.
So I bought my car with 120K mi on the odo. The driver's seat bottom was sunken in. I could deal with it on short trips but for longer trips I had to use a cushion. Reading the forums revealed that this is a common problem in LS430s. After getting a ridiculous quote from my local dealer to fix the problem ($1000+), I followed kevin123's advice and called Tim's Upholstery shop in Duluth last week. Here's what happened:

Tim answered the phone. What a nice guy! After describing the problem, Tim revealed that he does a lot of work for Lexus dealers. He diagnosed my problem as a worn seat bottom foam cushion. He called Lexus and got a quote on the part, which was $240.15. He said that the job would take about 1h and the labor would be $100. I scheduled an appointment for today. So I arrived at 9:00. By 9:05 the technician had taken the driver's seat out of my car! From advice I read on the forum, I asked the tech to add a bit of extra padding along with the OEM. I waited for the job, which was done by 10:15. Needless to say the seat feels wonderful!! The trip back home was delightful. And yes, the seat heating and cooling functions and stored memory settings are all just fine. I highly recommend Tim's Auto Upholstery!
Old 12-10-14, 08:30 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
So I bought my car with 120K mi on the odo. The driver's seat bottom was sunken in. I could deal with it on short trips but for longer trips I had to use a cushion. Reading the forums revealed that this is a common problem in LS430s. After getting a ridiculous quote from my local dealer to fix the problem ($1000+), I followed kevin123's advice and called Tim's Upholstery shop in Duluth last week. Here's what happened:

Tim answered the phone. What a nice guy! After describing the problem, Tim revealed that he does a lot of work for Lexus dealers. He diagnosed my problem as a worn seat bottom foam cushion. He called Lexus and got a quote on the part, which was $240.15. He said that the job would take about 1h and the labor would be $100. I scheduled an appointment for today. So I arrived at 9:00. By 9:05 the technician had taken the driver's seat out of my car! From advice I read on the forum, I asked the tech to add a bit of extra padding along with the OEM. I waited for the job, which was done by 10:15. Needless to say the seat feels wonderful!! The trip back home was delightful. And yes, the seat heating and cooling functions and stored memory settings are all just fine. I highly recommend Tim's Auto Upholstery!

Congrats! I really want to find a used LS seat from a part place. The problem is mine is UL and the seat connector is totally different, so it has to be a UL seat. I messed it up doing various padding changes and stupidly some upholsterer wanted to do the back and the butt, and it completely changed the shape to where it throws out my neck! I have to use a back pad which is uncomfortable for long drives. Then for the butt I've had it altered so many times it's cooked. I have to sit on 2 towels on the outside and a cushion over that. Such a nightmare! So I think the best would be to find a used seat and just do what you did, that way the back will be normal, which was never the problem anyway! I've had terrible luck with parts companies. If anyone knows of a reputable part company please PM me! I want to order a new seat ASAP and then put a new OEM pad in with a little extra soft foam on top of that. I would keep my seat but to fix the back is just outrageous. The back assembly is like $1500 just for the part. I was talking to a part company for the entire seat for $850 but they could never deliver.
Old 02-17-15, 01:00 PM
honasbone
Driver

Default steam the foam padding

I called a local car upholstery shop about rebuilding my driver's seat. They said they'd first try steam to rejuvenate the foam. So I youtube'd what they were talking about. Looks pretty straight forward once you get to the actual foam. I have a portable steam cleaner at home ($40 on amazon) and figured if I could remove the leather covers myself, I'd be able to avoid the $350ish the shop quoted me for the work.

So I guess what I'm curious to know is:

1. Anyone removed and reinstalled the leather seat cover? Can you provide instructions/tips on how this is done?

2. Anyone steamed the foam back to its original shape and thought it made a difference in the level of comfort?

I'm feelin' adventurous and want to give this a try. But please feel free to share your sad tales of similar efforts gone wrong. I don't want to make the seat any worse than it already is.

I also thought if steaming doesn't make a difference then I could buy some memory foam and add strips to the existing foam in an effort to add what I feel like is much needed padding.
Old 02-23-15, 12:37 PM
honasbone
Driver

I had a chance to steam the foam on the bottom driver's seat cushion over the weekend. Removed the seat from the car and moved back the leather cover. Cut my finger up nice and good. And in return? No benefit whatsoever. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective), the foam was all still in great shape even after 14 years and 70k miles. I steamed it all just in case. But none of the foam was compressed/wrinkled/crushed. It didn't need any reviving. Everything looked good. After steaming it all, there was no difference in the level of comfort.

I guess the lexus padding was subpar from the factory. Seems like adding foam is the only way to change the feel of the seat. It's can't be reconditioned back to it's original cushy/comfy state because it didn't start out life as a cushy/comfy seat.

That all said, has anyone successfully added foam (memory foam or otherwise) and made the seat more comfortable?
Old 02-27-15, 06:07 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

217,xxx KM's on my LS and i drive take it skiing (4.5) hour drive one way and have never felt as though my seat was bad.