LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 06:28 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had mine done at 813332 because the price was extremely good from a toyota dealer in north central Pa. The mechanic said that usually all you need is the belt and water pump, so that is what I did. 2003 ls430
Old 08-22-11, 07:12 AM
atmijlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got quote from a independent garage for $952 to replace timing belt, water pump and thing around it. Plus new radiator hoses. all Lexus parts.
Old 08-22-11, 06:44 PM
atmijlin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wcl77
I just purchased an 02 with 73k. I called a friend who is a lexus mechanic who told me if were his car he'd change the belt and water pump. age can be a significant factor as with miles. I'm taking the car in today.

Thanks very for your information.
Old 01-10-15, 03:35 PM
Caketoo
Driver School Candidate

Default TB weather

Just got my 05 LS430. W 92k miles. I'm in Chicago and don't plan to drive her at all when snow is around. Currently in the garage and anxiously awaiting better weather. My question for the group is does extreme cold weather affect TBs? My plan is to change at 100k after reading thread. I gotta get the kit when I do. Thanks
Old 01-10-15, 04:01 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure that the extreme cold weather does affect the belt to some degree (pun intended) but it does not get so brittle that it is going to snap due to the cold. Gentle driving when the engine is cold is the key to allowing the timing belt and other components to properly warm up.

Now, if you notice the water pump leaking at all, get that pump and belt changed ASAP.
Congrats on your 'new' purchase! You are going to love your LS430.
Old 01-22-15, 07:41 PM
BigRon239
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine at 164k and the belt was surprisingly not that bad at all, no stripped teeth or excessive wear marks on it. I live in Florida however where the steady warm climate prolongs the life of the belt (and mostly every part in general). If you live up north, its probably best that you change the belt a little earlier than I did.
Old 02-26-19, 10:05 AM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a 05 LS with 122miles, still on original belt. While it is not too far off distance-wise from the recommended 90k miles, it is 15 years old now, and therefore way past the recommended time. Plus it is an Ontario car with colder winters. I didn't physically open up the covers and check the belt's condition, but I didn't see any signs of a failing belt like the engine ticking, engine light on, leaking oil, etc. Anyone experience any warning symptoms of a near-failing belt? And are there anyone still on the original timing belt now in 2019? I have an appointment to get it changed this Saturday, and I somewhat expect the belt to be in good to great condition even after all this time and distance. Nevertheless I am still definitely paranoid about the 1% chance of it snapping on me sometime this week.
Old 02-26-19, 10:19 AM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

You have nothing to worry about between now and Saturday. Ask to see the old belt when the job is finished you'll see...
The following users liked this post:
potaijee (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19, 10:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

True I don't think the chance is even 1% that the belt breaks before Saturday. There has been speculation that Toyota made the recommended interval 1/2 of what it could do. It would be easier if there were people who came forward, timing belt schmiming belt my car has 300k and is a 2001 and I Have no plans of ever changing it! It's possible. My Maxima is near 21 y.o. and original timing chains, tensioners, water pump.
Old 02-26-19, 11:27 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my '01 LS (last year), the dealer had another one with 200k miles that, as far as we could tell, had absolutely no preventative maintenance done to it except oil changes and fixing whatever broke (alternator, etc.). The check engine light was on, the trunk and hood supports were shot, the tires were worn...etc...but that darn thing was still running! It was a "one owner" car though LOL
Old 02-26-19, 12:31 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
True I don't think the chance is even 1% that the belt breaks before Saturday. There has been speculation that Toyota made the recommended interval 1/2 of what it could do. It would be easier if there were people who came forward, timing belt schmiming belt my car has 300k and is a 2001 and I Have no plans of ever changing it! It's possible. My Maxima is near 21 y.o. and original timing chains, tensioners, water pump.
The amount of engineering behind timing belt design, material hp rating tooth pitch rpm longevity etc etc etc, is staggering. Part of the fear is derived from the term "belt" which started decades ago before serpentine belts and timing belts were used on automobiles. The fan belts of the 60's were of a much simpler technology and thus occasionally broke. If the terminology were changed to Timing "Loop" or Timing "Link" (just a silly example) the fear would likely subside. Also a special thanks to the dealership service advisors of the world leveraging this fear to get more cars in the service bays. My 1.5 cent rant for the day...
Old 02-26-19, 01:02 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
The amount of engineering behind timing belt design, material hp rating tooth pitch rpm longevity etc etc etc, is staggering. Part of the fear is derived from the term "belt" which started decades ago before serpentine belts and timing belts were used on automobiles. The fan belts of the 60's were of a much simpler technology and thus occasionally broke. If the terminology were changed to Timing "Loop" or Timing "Link" (just a silly example) the fear would likely subside. Also a special thanks to the dealership service advisors of the world leveraging this fear to get more cars in the service bays. My 1.5 cent rant for the day...
haha with my Maxima I dreaded a water pump replacement, because the forum debated on whether timing chains should be touched when doing a water pump. Some replaced guides and tensioners and then had a problem mainly with noise, where they speculated the guides purchased and installed in say 2010 were now different than the ones installed in Japan in 1997-1998. My brother had a 2007 Frontier purchased new which got lemoned due to chain issues. The car is so old now it's not something I worry about anymore...

Even serpentine belts, service advisors try to scare people into replacement, and it could be $60+ for the part and another $130+ for the labor depending on make/model...they start doing this as soon as a car is out of warranty lol
Old 02-26-19, 01:04 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

When a timing belt breaks, there is a very high probability you won't have any warning. I know someone with a VW who's belt snapped with no warning 2 weeks ago. He drove to work no problem, car was running fine, parked in the parking garage, at the end of the day, tried to start the car and couldn't get it to start. Had it towed out, which apparently isn't easy in a parking garage, and apparently the belt had snapped and damaged the engine. The local VW dealership and VW corporate are battling it out whether they need to replace the entire engine or just take it apart and rebuild it, and he's stuck in the middle without a car or even a loaner.

Our LS430 engines will also suffer the same internal damage if the belt snaps while the pistons and heads are moving. This is the "interference" engine design. Timing chains are basically maintenance-free, but the LS uses a belt, not a chain. The replacement of the belt is doable by yourself if you are mechanically-inclined, there is a good YouTube video for an LS430 timing belt replacement at

My 2002 had its timing belt (and water pump) changed by the previous owner's Lexus dealership (immediately before selling to a used car dealer, who probably requested this change) after 6 years of service and 60,000 km. The 2002 Lexus Maintenance spec for timing belt change is every 7 years or 144,000 km, whichever comes first. I'm now 10.5 years since that change and 104,000 km of use on it. I think I'll change it whenever I hit 144,000 of use, which will take another 4 years. Or if I go on a long roadtrip across the country before then, I'll change before 15 years and 144,000km.

I'm not overly concerned about the belt's age because the climate is relatively cool here in Canada and I don't do much driving in hot weather. If your area is hot, your belt will age faster, and I recommend following the factory change interval if you wish to keep your car long-term. A broken belt means you either need to spend thousands on labour to rebuild the internals, or thousands to replace the entire engine.
Old 02-26-19, 01:42 PM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be easier if there were people who came forward, timing belt schmiming belt my car has 300k and is a 2001 and I Have no plans of ever changing it! It's possible. .
Just to clarify, you have a 01 LS with 300k miles on its original timing belt and don't plan on changing it?? Wow and is it still going strong?
Old 02-27-19, 06:07 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Wish I had your outlook on life!

Quick Reply: Another Timing belt question