LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

climate control....its never comfortable!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 09:18 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: climate control....its never comfortable!

So i have had my 03 ls for about 6 months, but I have come to one issue.

The climate control is always hot when set to 65* or higher. The only time i get cold air is when set to cold.

Is there a sensor that measures interior air temp that could be malfunctioning? the a/c and heat work properly, just at 70degrees, the car is very hot, i have to switch to cold (without a/c) to cool down the interior.

Solved - pulled kick panel off tonight to find that the plug for interior temp sensor was unplugged. Smh @ whoever worked on this car before.

Last edited by Mr.Doback; 03-05-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 05:35 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have it on auto?
Old 01-28-11, 08:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Sound like you may be low in freon.
Old 01-28-11, 09:07 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Possible causes (not an exhaustive list):

* unable to mix the correct amount of hot and cold air to maintain the set temperature, either air blend doors don't move correctly or the air mix servomotors are not functioning properly. For example, if the cold air blend door position is measured by a potentiometer, and the pot is broke and reports position open when it is actually closed, then the computer thinks the door is open and you get no cold air coming in.

* temperatures reported by cabin and/or ambient sensors are wrong and therefore the climate control ECU functionality is based upon the incorrect sensor readings. For example, cabin sensor says 50F when it is actually 65F, or ambient sensor says 30F while your cabin is actually 65F.

Ambient/outdoor temp sensor part # 88790-22131, $16.31 retail price.
In-car cabin temp sensor part # 88625-50180, $26.32 retail.

The cabin sensor is the small grille under the ignition switch. You have to disconnect a connector and a hose, and then unscrew the sensor to remove it.

Before spending money on the repair, try turning the Auto button on and make sure the air intake/recirculate mode to Auto, and then set to a reasonable temperature. Make sure all vents are open so the duct sensors work.

Also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and leaving it off overnight. I notice the climate control does a special initialization after doing this. The Front defog button will flash for a minute or 2 while the system initializes itself.

Lastly, there is a CBEST setting that the dealer can set to adjust the offsets of the temperature sensors. They can adjust the target temperature sensor from the displayed temperature by +/- 2C. I don't think this is your problem though, but something to keep in mind.
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (12-16-19)
Old 01-28-11, 11:14 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing and it drives me nuts.
Old 01-28-11, 01:51 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm that's odd because I must say that the LS has the best climate control system I've ever experienced. It keeps me comfortable at all times in auto setting. It knows when to send me heat and when to stop after a while. In the summer time it will send me a generous amount of A/C then decrease it gradually. It suits my taste perfectly. At the same time, the system is a whiz at keeping fog off my windows when the weather is cold (like right now). I've only used the heated windshield (front/rear) 5 times maybe.

StanVanDam is a very knowledgeable guy and always posts great diagonsis ideas. I'm willing to bet it is one of those things.
Old 01-28-11, 02:09 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Hmm that's odd because I must say that the LS has the best climate control system I've ever experienced. It keeps me comfortable at all times in auto setting. It knows when to send me heat and when to stop after a while. In the summer time it will send me a generous amount of A/C then decrease it gradually. It suits my taste perfectly. At the same time, the system is a whiz at keeping fog off my windows when the weather is cold (like right now). I've only used the heated windshield (front/rear) 5 times maybe.
I concur with this, the climate control works perfect when both lower left buttons are set to Auto and rear AC is set to Auto, with swing vents enabled.

I keep mine at 23.5-24.5C all year round (it gets -30C here in the winter and up to 40C in the summer). I rarely need to use the front or rear defrosts in the winter (factory water-repellent windshield helps) and the system knows when to engage the AC to get rid of interior fog. It's a fantastic system.

It's unfortunate that the OP's climate control doesn't work properly. I hope you can get it fixed and then experience how the climate control should work.
Old 01-28-11, 02:31 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

perfect! thats the info I was hoping to read. For some reason I could not seem to find any info on the ambient temp sensors.

Heres some info in the mean time that may also lead me to a possibility. When I press auto, the system automatically turns the fans on High and turns a/c on.

Once im done doing all this work to my parents land rover, I am gonna take a stab at this,
Old 03-05-11, 10:24 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

problem solved, see first post.
Old 03-05-11, 11:09 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naffy
Could you give more details? I think i was having similar issue but always thought it was normal.
Old 03-06-11, 04:32 PM
vitaman59
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate control problem

I have a similar problem.but on a 2002 SC430. Anyone know if the CC is the same. The temp buttons only allow the set temperature to increase and it always starts a 75 f. I will try the negative battery lead off over night. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-06-11, 04:40 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Free fixes are the best!! Had a simple one myself today, made my day
Old 03-08-11, 07:30 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Kudos

I too, want to take a second to thank StanVanDam for all the detailed, valuable information he shares with this Board. I wish there was an MVP award, as he would certainly be amongst the top candidates, not to slight MMarshall et.al. I learn so much from all of them and it's all practical, worthwhile advice.
Old 03-14-11, 10:06 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Originally Posted by xuserx04
Could you give more details? I think i was having similar issue but always thought it was normal.
well quite simple, the only way cold air would come out of the vents was on max cold. A/c turned on, auto settings on would blow heat, nothing else.

What are u encountering?
Old 03-14-11, 04:45 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well quite simple, the only way cold air would come out of the vents was on max cold. A/c turned on, auto settings on would blow heat, nothing else.

What are u encountering?
I think he's wondering, as I am, what kick panel you are referring to. The one under the ignition switch previously mentioned?

Quick Reply: climate control....its never comfortable!