LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you make the exclamation point light go out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 07:54 PM
mjblaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make the exclamation point light go out?

How do I turn off the service engine light after service is done? Only a dealer knows how to do it right, and its a pain in the butt to turn off. I replaced my tires and the light came on indicating low tire pressure; I push the reset button & turned the key at the same time, being careful to clear the trip odometer as instructed by the service tech at my Lexus dealer. I have checked the tire pressure & its ok. Tomorrow I'm going to air them up again & maybe that will satisfy the computer.....what am I doing wrong?
Old 01-17-11, 06:34 AM
cargui76
Driver School Candidate

Mjblaw-

I had to reset both lights last month. I was reading the owner's manual and it states that you must check and make certain all pressures are correct before re-initializing the system. Then the initialization process takes about an hour by driving on smooth, straight, dry road over 30 MPH. The reset button is underneath the dash right next to the Smart Key reset button. I actually had to move the seat back and lay on my back to see it. It's up underneath the ignition switch.

As far as the pressure satisfying the computer.. I don't think that it will without the going through this process. From what I've read, the computer does not sense actual air pressure like the newer cars. It has to do with rotation of the tire relative to the others or something like that.

For the tire pressure light:
1. key on
2. engine on or off
3. close all doors
4. press and hold the tire reset button under the drivers side dashboard (this is tough to do and impossible without a flashlight)
5. the warning screen by the odo will say pressure initial
6. release the button when the screen returns to blank.

For the oil change/oil filter warning:
Start with the ignition switch "ON"
1. Push the "ODO/TRIP" button to change the display to blank.
2. Turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" with the trip meter "RESET" button held down.
4. Keep pushing the "RESET" button for longer than 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on.
5. the master warning light comes on, a warning tone sounds and the message disappears.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-11, 08:32 PM
mjblaw
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down How do you make the exclamation point light go out

Thanks! I knew how to make the oil change light go out, and didn't know about the ridiculous procedure to make a low tire pressure warning shut up. I'll crawl around under there and try to see if I can make it work. Thanks very much. I guess I need to spend more time with the 3 inch thick manual! I wonder what committee of geniuses thought that up.