LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Removing Center Console Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 04:47 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing Center Console Cover

I need to get my center console cover re-covered due to a hole in the factory leather.

Any clue how to remove the dang thing?

This is a 2003 LS430 with luxury package.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-13-11, 04:56 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interested myself as I have a new armrest coming in to replace my worn one. When I get the piece in I should have a better idea but not right now. If no one chimes in with any info before I receive mine I will post up picks of the removal and install.
Old 01-13-11, 05:00 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

How much is the new replacement?
Old 01-13-11, 07:14 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

I was lucky to get the one that was for sale in the classifieds.
Old 01-22-11, 07:51 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if this is what your looking for but installed my armrest today.

First pry off the panel with the VSC button. I like to pry it from the bottom instead of the sides to not damage the leather. I removed the shift **** too but you dont have to.

Then remove the center console panel.

Next take out the cup holder by unscrewing these 4 screws.

With the cup holder out you can undo these 2 plugs.

Take out the liner at the bottom of the armrest and remove the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom.

This duct needs to be taken out to get to the rest of the bolts.

Pry it from the back to get it out. There are just clips holding it in.

There are 4 10mm bolts and 1 screw you need to remove.

Last are these 2 clips at the front of the armrest. Pry it up and pop the whole armrest out.

This is with the armrest out.

On a side note there was an open plug under there and another cable which looked like a TV cable plug. Anyone have any idea what those are for?
Old 01-24-11, 02:29 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Awesome post. This is exactly what I was looking for. As for the coaxial cable, optional factory installed Telephone hookup perhaps? Not sure. It would be interesting to find out.
Old 01-24-11, 02:33 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Hilo, is that an Ipod / Ipone jack I see? Can you post picks of where it rests when in use, and alo when it's not in use please. From the looks of the location in the pic, looks like it stowes in the ash tray?
Old 01-25-11, 10:14 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes that is an Ipod jack. I have an SL2Vi from Vaistech installed. I have the cable routed to the ash tray location. I had a hole drilled to pass the cable through. I dont have use for an ash tray since I dont smoke so I took it out. The cable resides in the ash tray compartment when not in use.
Old 01-30-11, 09:46 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice post but isn't there a way to only remove the leather covered arm rest? Mine is really rough.
Old 01-31-11, 09:48 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Chunkyda, The pad has 4 screws holding it to the pivot arm. The only way to get to it is to follow the instructions above and remove the whole assembly which is comprised of the bucket, top tray, sliding bracket, and pad.
It took me about 20 minutes to remove it as per the above instructions. Then I just held the assemply in my lap upside down and took the arm rest pad screws off and out it came. Then removed the front latch and it was nice and clean for the upholstery shop. They want $100 + to take it apart and put it all back together. Plus 200 to make a new cover and pad.

While I had it all apart, I cleaned and waxed the wood peices. They cleaned up really nice and look like new with a couple coats of wax.
Old 01-31-11, 09:53 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Hilo, So am I understanding that the coaxial cable, when paired with the appropriate IPOD cable will give me IPOD function with my stock radio, or is the SL2Vi from Vaistech a different radio or head unit of some kind?

I saw another post on this site that had a long drawn out method of installing a different head unit using the single DIN slot occupied by the factory CD player. I was planning on doing that, but a cable is so much easier. Please tell em this IS possible....
Old 01-31-11, 11:09 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2vi.php

The SL2Vi is an integration unit to use the Ipod with your factory system.
Old 01-31-11, 11:51 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Awesome.

Did you install yours? Do you have or can you post instructions on removing the factory radio, or is it nessecary in order to plug up the SL2vi?
Old 02-02-11, 03:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor
Awesome.

Did you install yours? Do you have or can you post instructions on removing the factory radio, or is it nessecary in order to plug up the SL2vi?
Suggest you do a search on this forum for "SL2vi". People have posted photos showing the complete steps in removing the dash parts to be able to install the SL2vi. After reading all them, it gave me confidence that I could install one myself. Using the photos and instructions the installation went perfectly. I installed the SL2vi unit in front of the lower dash panel which has the seat temperature controls on it. I routed the SLv2i leak into the rear of the glove box. Everything is hidden. I connect an iPod to the lead and leave it on the shelf in the glovebox. You never have to touch it except when you remove it to add new music. It turns on an off by your audio controls (you push the CD button twice as it adds a new channel there. The iPod is charged when the car is running. All controls are from the normal dash/steering wheel controls. It will remember where you were on the iPod when shut down or leaving the car. I love being able to see the album name and title of each track when playing (I use the playlist on my Mac iTunes to set it up). I now have a 160GB removable hard drive in my car, completely integrated.

I love this thing. They are the perfect add on for a luxurious car like the LS. I think I could almost be a salesman for these!
Old 02-03-11, 11:17 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Yes, you could.

Will this acomodate bluetooth as well? I didn't see anything on it on the site....

Quick Reply: Removing Center Console Cover