LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Caliper Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 06:20 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still ambivalent about which torque spec to use. I've emailed Alldata for their take on this. I don't know if they'll respond. In the interim, my front caliper bolts are at 58 ft. lbs. and I'll wear a motorcycle helmet while driving the car.
Old 01-17-11, 11:57 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

81 ft. lbs front caliper bolts.
58 ft. lbs rear caliper bolts.

Both per Lexus service manual.
Old 01-17-11, 03:41 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question then. I use anti-sieze on all the bolts before I put them back. Should I avoid doing that since it says the bolt should have no foreign matter on it?
Old 01-17-11, 04:08 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

In addition to Alldata, I emailed Mitchell this morning as well. Mitchell emailed me back and verified the front caliper bolt torque is 81 ft. lbs., and the rear is 58 ft. lbs., as was stated here by a couple of members. I hope they change the info on their site.

Alldata hasn't gotten back to me, but they need to update their spec's as well...

I re-torqued the front caliper bolts to 81 ft. lbs this afternoon...

Milan, I put anti-sieze on my caliper bolts. I didn't find any information either pro or con for this so I went ahead with it. I think when they talk about foreign matter they mean dirt, etc... The old ones that I took out looked like they had lithium grease on them. No idea who put them in though.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by JimsGX; 01-17-11 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 05:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
They may be stretch bolts. The bolts stretch when they are torqued to spec. The stretching keeps the bolts tight through their service life of extreme heating and cooling. You may get away with using them a second time but each time they're torqued they neck down a bit and may break when torqued up or later in service.
JimsGX, thanks for bringing this topic up, I always wonder about this.

I am with Bon, I think on theory they are not reuseable, they get weaker each time you torque them down, but they do have a safety margin build in to them, so most likely they won't break if you use them again for the 2nd time, even 3rd....4th........but eventually they will break.

I will use new bolts when I eventually have to take my calipers off, but looks like I only have to do that every 100k~150k miles? I don't mind spending a few more bucks every 150k miles, it makes me feels better

What is your mileage on your car now that it needs new wheel's bearings?
Old 01-17-11, 05:31 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
What is your mileage on your car now that it needs new wheel's bearings?
The left front started making noise a few weeks ago at 105k miles... Changed them both out at 105,750 miles.

Jim
Old 01-17-11, 05:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The left front started making noise a few weeks ago at 105k miles... Changed them both out at 105,750 miles.

Jim
Thanks for sharing

Mine is at 82k, another thing I need to keep in mind.
Old 01-17-11, 07:26 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Quoting my own post here but I wanted to let everyone know that the caliper torque of 81 ft. lbs. that I had copied and pasted into the message above is incorrect. Mitchell has erroneous data posted... I found another reference on Mitchell that says the torque for both front and rear caliper bolts should be 58 ft. lbs... I also double checked on AllDataDIY (I have a subscription on there as well) and they also state that the caliper bolt torque should be 58 ft. lbs...
I have no idea what this "Mitchell" source is (is it like the Haynes manual?), but I have the FACTORY Lexus service manuals (all 4 volumes) for the 2005 and the torques are 81 ft-lbs for the front, and the order in which you torque the bolts are as stated in the above response. Seems odd that there's an order to torquing the bolts, but that's what the factory manual says...there must be an engineering reason behind it!

Last edited by V8_Fan; 01-17-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 07:25 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Mitchell is a very common reference for many non-dealer repair garages. They typically pay a yearly fee to have access to all vehicle repair information on a CD. They receive periodic updates to keep everything current.

https://www.mitchell.com/mitch/start.asp
Old 02-22-11, 02:30 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When Bolts Go Bad

Was in the process of installing all new rotors on 2006 LS430 when I ran into an issue with stripped bolts on both rear calipers and all other bolts being under torqued. I believe that all of the bolts had been removed and recycled by the prior owner without having the locktite applied. The two stripped bolts probably corroded which now forces me to replace the knuckle because you can't/shouldn't use a Helicoil on a brake caliper for safety sake. Thus, I would suggest always replacing these bolts and make sure to use an appropriate thread lock adhesive. Lastly, don't over torque these suckers cause it is a major undertaking not to mention expensive to replace the stripped out parts. It should also be noted not to use an air ratchet to get these bolts out if they are corroded you will definitely strip the aluminum to which it is being bolted. Be prepared to apply heat to bolt if bolt presents significant resistance after breaking the thread adhesive. A little heat and some penetrating oil might save you some serious money.
Old 02-23-11, 04:01 AM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Caliper bolt torque

Per the Lexus service manual on the 2006 LS430 bolt torque is listed at 58 ft-lbs and you are supposed to torque the top bolt first. Also, if you are changing the rotors make sure you align the access hole for the rear rotors up with the parking break adjustment screw.
Old 04-03-17, 06:46 AM
NolanG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread pitch

Hey everyone - I am wondering if anyone has or knows the thread pitch for these bolts? Lexus dealers won't tell you anything as you can only get parts from them, but I am in hopes someone has this info.
Old 04-03-17, 07:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by NolanG
Hey everyone - I am wondering if anyone has or knows the thread pitch for these bolts? Lexus dealers won't tell you anything as you can only get parts from them, but I am in hopes someone has this info.
I have my old ones in the garage, I could always run them over to Lowes and get the answer, but unfortunately, not anytime too soon, maybe next weekend...
Old 12-11-17, 08:44 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if this issue has been fixed, but the bolts are M14x1.5 per the thread below:

Link

I just ran across this issue replacing my rear brakes yesterday. Trying to decide whether it's worth it to use an insert, or buy a used knuckle from fleabay for $90...

EDIT: Just saw user had one post... So, bump for posterity.
Old 12-12-17, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodMoney
Not sure if this issue has been fixed, but the bolts are M14x1.5 per the thread below:

Link

I just ran across this issue replacing my rear brakes yesterday. Trying to decide whether it's worth it to use an insert, or buy a used knuckle from fleabay for $90...

EDIT: Just saw user had one post... So, bump for posterity.
I have the bolts in the original Home Depot bag, from another car, and they fit my Centrics (rear) in the basement. I was gonna verify they fit the rears yesterday when I was mounting the snows, and wouldn't you know I can't find the bolts. The current rotors are without any coating so I hope the bolt holes will be ok, they are rusted...

Not to stir up controversy, but my notes said M8 with a 1.25 pitch, fit the Centrics in the box. Using common sense, 8mm seems like it could be the right size, 14mm is pretty large (think of drain plugs). Since I can't find my bolts and will have to buy new ones, I won't know for sure again until next year...a person could buy both and return the wrong ones, but I'll try M8's first...

Quick Reply: Caliper Bolts