LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Intro from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 05:00 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride sam glad you got one. Sorry i couldnt let go of mine. I have those coilovers still tho sitting there.

Anyway new drivers have L plates (learners) for a year. then is followed by P plates (provisional) for 3 years which restrict alcohol content, speed before you get to your full license.
Old 02-23-11, 06:00 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
Nice ride sam glad you got one. Sorry i couldnt let go of mine. I have those coilovers still tho sitting there.

Anyway new drivers have L plates (learners) for a year. then is followed by P plates (provisional) for 3 years which restrict alcohol content, speed before you get to your full license.
They need that system here in the states!
Old 02-23-11, 06:12 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet car man! That's a very unique color, I think I have seen one pic of dark green somewhere on the Internet (never in real life though).

I do agree the plating system is nice. We should be able to take some advanced driving courses here and earn the S plate (speeder) so you can legally go faster than everyone else....sigh but I dream lol
Old 02-23-11, 06:50 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome with this very nice car!

I looked in a Dutch 2001 brochure and the paint colour could be 6s6.
"Racing green" it is called over here.
Nice interior also!

All the best,
Jac
Old 02-23-11, 05:34 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfg23
My only peeves with it are that the previous owner was a hefty fella at 150-160kgs so he has flattened the drivers seat cushion enough to start to get uncomfortable after about half hour in the seat.
And it needs new brake rotors on the rear as it shudders when braking at high speed. (knew this when purchasing, got half a grand off the price because of it)
I had a similar issue with my 430. I had a local upholstery shop replace the cushion with a fresh oem cushion. The cushion was a little pricey ~150, and the installer charged me 60. Money well spent.
Old 02-23-11, 05:47 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P plates = Provisional licence.

It varies from state to state here,but the gist of it is that you start with a leaner's permit,which allows you to drive on the road,while receiving instruction.
You must pass a written test to get your 'L' plates and be allowed near a vehicle.

In NSW where I'm from,you have to do 120hrs of logbooked instructed driving on your L's before you can do a practical test with an examiner from the RTA (same as DOT). If you pass the practical,you get your Provisional licence,and must display 'P' plates on your vehicle. You have Red P's for one year,followed by green P's for 2years. At the end of the third year,you get your black full licence.

P plates stand out from a mile away and scream for the police to pull you over,especialy if the car is modified. P platers have a zero alcohol restriction,speed restrictions,less demerit points,and in some places,restrictions on how many passengers they can carry at certain times and allowable engine types and power to weight ratios.
None of the above stops them from killing themselves though.

Justin...
Old 02-23-11, 06:20 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fergo308
P plates = Provisional licence.

It varies from state to state here,but the gist of it is that you start with a leaner's permit,which allows you to drive on the road,while receiving instruction.
You must pass a written test to get your 'L' plates and be allowed near a vehicle.

In NSW where I'm from,you have to do 120hrs of logbooked instructed driving on your L's before you can do a practical test with an examiner from the RTA (same as DOT). If you pass the practical,you get your Provisional licence,and must display 'P' plates on your vehicle. You have Red P's for one year,followed by green P's for 2years. At the end of the third year,you get your black full licence.

P plates stand out from a mile away and scream for the police to pull you over,especialy if the car is modified. P platers have a zero alcohol restriction,speed restrictions,less demerit points,and in some places,restrictions on how many passengers they can carry at certain times and allowable engine types and power to weight ratios.
None of the above stops them from killing themselves though.

Justin...
Sounds pretty thorough. I wish the US would force a stricter driving course/test. There are far too many idiots on the road who don't look when changing lanes, can't park, can't judge distances, don't know the limit of their cars, etc. here. Driving in a state that gets plenty of snow, the lack of training is evident when the weather gets real bad lol.
Old 02-23-11, 07:25 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh don't misunderstand me,we have our fair share of bad drivers here as well. Just because we tell them to log hours of instruction doesn't mean that they receive proper instruction during those periods,or that the hours logged match the hours actually carried out...
The restrictions on P platers make the kids pull their heads in a little,but not enough to make any real difference. And just like school,once they pass the test,they throw the books away and forget all about it...

Justin...

p.s. sorry for hijacking the thread guys...
Old 02-23-11, 09:17 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The plate system is a joke in my opinion.
I was supposed to go to full licence once I was 19, but I got caught idling along in a McDonalds carpark without a seatbelt so my provisional licence was suspended for 18months.
In the 18months I got a speeding fine for 66 in a 60zone which resulted in loss of licence due to demerit points.
I get my licence back and get caught without my P plate on one time and get disqualified again for six months, resulting in me being 24, driving for 8 years and I also have a curfew so I cannot control a motor vehicle between 9pm and 5am.
That is great when I have to start work at 4:30am.

Thats fine about the 430 Peter, this one doesn't have the rear seat package, but I got it a few grand cheaper than we agreed on for yours. Catch me on msn one time to discuss the coilovers.
Old 02-23-11, 09:41 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bfg23
The plate system is a joke in my opinion.
I was supposed to go to full licence once I was 19, but I got caught idling along in a McDonalds carpark without a seatbelt so my provisional licence was suspended for 18months.
In the 18months I got a speeding fine for 66 in a 60zone which resulted in loss of licence due to demerit points.
I get my licence back and get caught without my P plate on one time and get disqualified again for six months, resulting in me being 24, driving for 8 years and I also have a curfew so I cannot control a motor vehicle between 9pm and 5am.
That is great when I have to start work at 4:30am.

Thats fine about the 430 Peter, this one doesn't have the rear seat package, but I got it a few grand cheaper than we agreed on for yours. Catch me on msn one time to discuss the coilovers.
Wow some serious consequences for harmless things. I can't believe the idling in the parking lot one! Also were you actually doing 6km/hr? I've gotten a few speeding tickets (I'm 21 btw so the right foot was very very heavy a few yrs ago) but they all either got knocked down or thrown out in court (cop didn't show). Didn't seem to affect too much. Here in the states, you go take a useless driving course (some real time driving with some classroom stuff) that doesn't teach you anything, get a permit for 6 months without incident or till you hit 16 (permit = must have licensed driver next to you always, time restrictions for driving), then you get a full fledged license. The most useless thing I got pulled over for was failing to signal in a left turn lane only (I had a green turn signal) at 2am when I didn't see another driver on the road the entire way.