The Cop and the Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 06:51 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The Cop and the Lexus

Short story to share you with all.

On my way into work this cold winter morning, i found myself in a potentially troubling situation. A cop stopped me at a gas station. Before that, some background.

My trip to work is rather short. About 8 miles, passing through about 6 stop lights. After about a minute into my drive into the office, i saw a police car pulling out onto the road after i passed by him. I was going the speed limit and was not concerned about my driving. HOWEVER, i do have illegally tinted windows on a black car with super shinny wheels . Well, he didn't pull me over and i continued on my way. I realized i needed to put some gas in the tank (less than 40miles on my distance to empty readout), so i stopped a gas station. No sooner did i get out of the car... the same police car was driving thru the gas station. He circled around the store and then pulled in next to me. I started to think i was going to get a ticket for window tint violation. But... he said "that is a beautiful Lexus. what year is it?" I told him a 2005. He said, "man that is nice." Then he says... "you know your side mirror is folded in" I smiled and said that's what happens when i turn the car off, it folds the mirrors in. He was impressed and told me a story about his buddy having 2 Lexus cars. He gave a few more parting compliments and then drove off. Wheeeew. Good thing he liked the car, otherwise, i would might be writing a different note this morning.

Cheers.

Old 12-28-10, 06:56 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would never happen to me....
Old 12-28-10, 06:59 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

How dark is your tint? In Massachusetts it would be hard to get an annual inspection sticker. State Troppers would've tell you to take the tint off on the spot.
Old 12-28-10, 07:01 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

JLAWS:
we don't have yearly inspections. Just pay for you tag online and you'll get the sticker for the plates.

Infamous 1:
Back in by earlier years, i would have been in handcuffs, getting the car searched, and received a $150 ticket In my 30s, i guess i'm now perceived as harmless
Old 12-28-10, 07:05 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice story... I love happy endings. In NJ, if the cops talks to you, it's only to give you a mouthful about what you did wrong and what ticket you're getting.

Our tint is illegal here too, but because the state inspections have been revamped to just do emissions, the "safety" aspect of inspections were removed. So, now you can get 5% tint is you want all aroud and they can't fail you. The cops however can still pull you over for illegal tint. ahhh... beauracracy... love how it works.

I guess violations must be few down where you live.. a cop can just follow you to admire your car.
Old 12-28-10, 07:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i like your happy ending story, i too had one just sunday (2 days ago) myself and feel this is a pretty appropriate time to tell it. i hope you don't mind my putting my story up on your thread.

i used to live in VA, and they are very very very strict about everything not factory done to a car there. i now live in MD and have MD plates but still go into VA 1-2 times a month and always comment on how i am so thankful i no longer have VA plates, my wife thinks i'm crazy but here is proof.

i have like 7-8k super bright DRL's (day time running lights) and (i have it wired so that my fogs will be on with the parking lights only) i have just switched to 3k hid's in the fogs. so i'm driving down the road in my super clean 05 ls430 with only a mild 14% tint (illegal by VA standards) with my 3k & 7500k lights on only and after passing by this cop while i was doing exactly the speed limit he whips it around like dukes of hazard style flying up behind me. he flicks his lights on and then immediately turns them off after seeing my MD tags. he then floors it up next to me and i couldn't help but look over and notice him just ice cold grilling me with a dirty harry type stare down. i was trying not to laugh for fear of somehow getting tazerd out of all of this, but i swear i had a grin from ear to ear. the cop immediately floored it and would you believe that he flipped on his lights and pulled over some old POS honda civic with some nasty fake looking euro tail lights on it doing exactly the speed limit as well and i know he didn't have time to run the plates and i know that we were not speeding as well.

talk about profiling. the cop was obviously just looking for someone to pull over and ticket while we were just minding our own business driving back home with a car full of christmas gifts after leaving the fams house in VA.

morale of the story: VA cops suck a fatty!!!
Old 12-28-10, 08:31 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow nice, always nice to hear some positive things about the police. The cops vary in MI, the ones in Ann Arbor (by my home) are polite. In fact, I hardly see any at all. The ones up at my school (Mich State) are complete *male body part*. They preach about safe driving when they pull you over for stupid things (like not signaling on a left turn only lane at 2 am when there is no one else on the road) and then fly down a 25 mph zone doing 70+. That and they tailgate me like crazy when I obviously am sober, follow the speed limit, and obeying all other traffic laws. I appreciate what the cops do to make the community safer, but some of them really let that authority go to their head (much like Cartman...if there are any South Park fans here)

EDIT: Oh yes, very LS DDLexus. Someone close to home (in Ann Arbor) has one just like it. Black on 18in chromes. Always has it clean, looks fantastic I can understand why you got stopped!
Old 12-28-10, 09:17 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that picture almost makes me regret not getting a darker color. But I know how hard it is to keep my fiance's black Accord coupe clean, not to mention how easy it is to see swirls and any kind of water spots. Good read!
Old 12-28-10, 10:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

That's a great looking car and its always gonna get some compliments, even sometimes from the Po-Po.

I understand about the Police having a serious aversion to heavy tint - if I was police and had to regularly walk to up cars I had stopped, I would very badly want to be able to see through the windows of the car I was approaching. Sometimes not being able to see inside the car window has been a matter of life or death for a police officer.
Old 12-28-10, 11:17 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Retracting mirror story. When I first got my 430, I took the guys in the office out to lunch in it. One of them walks up to the passenger mirror (which was auto-retracted) and before I could say anything, grabs the mirror and manually and forcefully twists it outward! He thought I had been driving with it stowed and was just "helping" out. Yeeeshh! I just about soiled my pants.

No damage done, thank goodness.
Old 12-28-10, 12:27 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

dude ^ ^ ^, not cool. good story but that hurt me reading it sorta like seeing another guy get kicked in the nuts...
Old 12-28-10, 05:50 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Pretty as a post card...
Old 12-28-10, 06:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

At least you didn't get a ticket for parking in the handicap spot.
Old 12-28-10, 10:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

thanks for sharing lol! you always read about people getting ticketed in their lex
Old 12-28-10, 10:36 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Crazy stories u just never know when ur gonna get pulled over these day.

Quick Reply: The Cop and the Lexus