LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering CPO 05 ML -- minor issues from service history

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 08:06 AM
TKPK430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering CPO 05 ML -- minor issues from service history

I'm considering a one-owner 38k mi. CPO 05 ML. Service every 5k mi. at the same dealer that sold it (and that's now offering it for sale). The service history shows a few issues. The previous owner had the car in for power mirror issues (passenger and driver mirrors not adjusting properly) at 15k mi. ("passenger mirror binding"), 25k mi. ("driver mirror intermittent in operation"), 30k mi. ("both mirrors inoperative intermittently"), and 35k mi. ("both mirrors won't adjust properly"). At 35k, the customer also complained that the air bag light had come on (although it was not on at the time the car was at the dealer). At 35k and the again 200 miles later, the customer had the car in for issues with the driver's power seat. Finally, after trade-in, the dealer replaced the "left rear lower control arm."

The car is otherwise supposed to be in beautiful condition. The salesman says it's been on the showroom floor since September as an example of how nice a CPO car is.

The car is the color and trim level that I prefer (silver over black ML -- yes, I know that the silver will fade more than other colors, but I love it with the black interior!).

I'm most concerned about the recurring issues with the mirrors (although I note a number of forums threads on those issues). The mechanic who's inspecting the car at this moment has said the passenger side mirror won't tilt up, so it's still not right after being replaced twice by the dealer according to the service history...

I guess I just wish I'd found one of those cars where the original owner had ZERO issues from purchase to trade-in. I wonder if the prior owner traded it in out of frustration? (Although I guess they still bought a Lexus...)

Would you be concerned based on the issues I mention?

P.S. I should note that I don't think I have the time or patience for a year-long, cross-country search. And I'm now seriously thinking about paying more to extend the warranty beyond the three year CPO period. I'm just worried that it won't be very "luxurious" to have regular annoying issues with the mirrors...

Andy

Last edited by TKPK430; 12-21-10 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention two things
Old 12-21-10, 08:50 AM
TKPK430
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I now have the final report from the mechanic:

Passenger mirror was not working properly first thing this a.m. but is now working fine. He was able to adjust it in all directions 15 to 20 times.

Other issues:

Rocker panels bent up somewhat near rear on both sides of vehicle. Looks like someone tried (incorrectly) to jack vehicle up.

Interior power rear sunshade -- mechanism (sunshade frame) does not work properly and sunshade fabric is not there (!).

No sign of panel replacement or heavy collision damage, but high-quality repaint done on left rear quarter panel and on front bumper cover.

Thoughts?

Andy

Last edited by TKPK430; 12-21-10 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Unclear wording
Old 12-21-10, 09:14 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i think you'll find that almost every used car you run into has had some work done to it. Usually, at a minimum, the bumpers are repainted. Many times, they also repaint the hood to remove all the chips from road debris.

As for the mirrors, just have to expect that this is a weak point for the LS430. A replacement isn't that expensive, and their pretty common at junk yards now. But, with a CPO warranty, don't worry about it.

The rear power sunshade seems very strange. I'm hoping the dealer will replace/repair that part before selling.

I guess these problems, or concerns, would justify a good price. What is the list price?
Old 12-21-10, 09:15 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for another one then
Old 12-21-10, 09:15 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Sounds like minor issues with mirrors. I would be concerned about bent rocker panels - and previous damage requiring repaint. You need a significant $$$ discount from normal market price if you are going to purchase that car because you will have to offer a serous $$$ discount if you ever want to sell it with that damage on it. Its been sitting at the dealer since September because its over priced....don't be the guy they have been waiting for all this time that comes in and overpays for it.

If you can negotiate a lower more fair price remember that you only have leverage before you buy the car so make sure you have them completely fix everything you are concerned about.

If its a CPO Lexus, then you are 100% covered on the mirrors and other mechanical failures for 3 years - if a mirror fails, the dealer will replace no questions asked. I had a mirror stop adjusting on my 06 and they replaced the entire mirror. Car was in the shop for 24 hours and I had a free loaner - no fuss.

If you want to extend CPO for an additional 2 years, I am pretty sure you can do that before the 3 year CPO expires. Don't do it now because you may want another car in 3 years.
Old 12-21-10, 09:37 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have the rockers redone if it is a real blemish on the car. Then get your best price and if you feel it is fair contingent on talking to the previous owner to discuss the past body work. I think old paint jobs may fade but with the clearcoat finishes of today fading is a thing of the past.

I little bit of quality non major repaint I would not worry about in this instance if you are not willing to wait or travel. I backed up into my garage can and had the rear quarter fixed and had the bumper painted before I bought it. The car is 6 years old.

How much do they want 28 g's?
Old 12-21-10, 10:08 AM
TKPK430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. They're asking $ 30,999, and I had assumed upper 20's if the vehicle was truly mint. With the issues flagged by the mechanic, they'll definitely need to come down significantly on the price. I had been planning to drive up to see the car, but I think I'll defer that until the dealer can fix the sunshade. Then we'll see if the dealer will be realistic on price. If not, the search will have to continue...
Old 12-21-10, 11:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

31K for a 05 with 40k miles? Wow...they really are very proud of that car.

I suggest you go to Edmunds.com and do the use car appraisal modeler they have on the site. It does a very good job of estimating any car's current market value.

I can't imagine how a 05 LS with 40K miles can be worth $31K..especially with body damage. If it had 10-15 K miles that might be a different story...keep looking or offer them $25K plus tax and title drive out and not a penny more. It is the end of the year, trust me, they are absolutely dying to sell anything and get it off the lot at this point. Offer the $25k over the phone and let them stew on that for a week or so. Call back on New Years Eve day and make the same offer again if you haven't heard back before then.

There is a possibility that they were stupid and paid too much for the car themselves - so they may not take the offer but that does not mean you have to subsidize their mistake.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-21-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 12:56 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

that price is way too high. Check autotrader for similar cars and you'll see that it's several grand above the average. HINT: the CPO warranty will add about $1,500 to the cost of the car. So, a non-certified used one on AutoTrader might come in around $24,000. If that's the case, then expect to pay $25,500 for a CPO with same miles/condition/package.
Old 12-21-10, 03:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

My main concern would be paint work. Other than bumper covers which always need repainting, if there is any metal that has been repainted, I would either walk or get a SIGNIFICANT reduction in price. If there is anything other than just some respray (body work) I would pass. A car is that price range should be close to a "museum piece".
Old 12-21-10, 03:17 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

that price is high.offer them around 28.5 on the street.not the only fish in the pond.
Old 12-21-10, 03:29 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife bought a 2005ML this past April with 58k miles----3 year Lexus warranty for $24k. Their original price was $29k---then they dropped it to $26k. That's when we became interested.
Old 12-21-10, 04:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

There are many LS430s on the market to choose from. Be patient.
Old 12-21-10, 05:33 PM
TKPK430
Driver School Candidate

Great advice guys -- this forum is truly wonderful. And looking at the cars.com listings tonight has reinforced how many LS430s are on the market. If the dealer won't come way down on price, I think that 05 will be sitting around well into 2011.
Old 12-21-10, 05:42 PM
combres
Rookie

I agree that price is high but I guess you have to factor in lexus dealership plus the CPO. Dealers think if they have a mint used car (which it sounds like this has a few problems) they can charge a ton for, as if you don't know the market value. I wouldn't trust bluebook either.

I bought my 2005, CL silver on black (price matters with this color scheme since it is sought after) with 39k for 25,750 in august of this year, private party. I think I paid a little high, but it was absolutely mint. It also had keyless entry and the upgraded leather. Also, the previous owner had put in a vaistech ipod and modded the bluetooth with a switch in the center console.

I think prices have come down a bit since then since this year is finished. Factoring the CPO for ~$1,500 + dealership markup of say $1k. ML of course would be lower...
Oh btw, this in california, where things are a bit inflated since we have no snow. I see that you are in MD, so prices should be lower where you are.

hope that helps on price.

Quick Reply: Considering CPO 05 ML -- minor issues from service history