LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Traction Control save my A$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 09:26 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Traction Control save my A$$

Now that winter is fully here, finally got a chance to swap my performance wheels to stock 17 inchers.

Forgetting how the car will handle differently, while on the freeway exiting one highway entering another where there is a tight right curve where I can normally take that it at 70mph, well, not the same with 17 in wheels and tires.

Traveling the same speed, the car just about lost it but the beep beep beep of the traction control kicked in and the car made its adjustment and saved my ***. If I had the TC off, I would of skidded into the grassy medium or rolled the car( or best case scenario, power sliding throughout the whole turn) . My wife was with me and asked what that beeping sound was and I told her how it saved us.

This always happened when I swap out one set of wheel to another. The quietness and comfort of the stock wheels makes speeding really easy and when you finally look at the speedo, you are way over the limit.

So remember all, leave that TC switch on
Old 12-05-10, 12:07 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was saved from accident two years ago by my Traction Control as well. Was a very wet day and at a light also. As I proceeded to turn a left and not stopping because the light was green as I approached it. I'm going 30mph when turning, forgetting how wet the ground is. As I turned I go into a brief slide and the car corrects for me. I literally had to do nothing to correct my human flaw of driving to fast when making a turn during wet weather. Almost hit another car but, the Traction Control corrected just before contact and no accident happened and traffic kept going.

There were alot of cars as well so may have been a pile up because I was at a business intersection also. Thanks for new technology because 25-30 years ago, Im getting sued!!! And thats nothing to laugh about. These cars are very safe and have technology that avoids accidents. So do most cars these days. I can only imagine how it will be in 50 years! LGNM
Old 12-05-10, 05:13 AM
99stang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to read the TC system works well in this car.
My mustang has trac on by default (button to override it), and it works great on dry ground, but once the ground is wet, the car will be completely sideways before the TC can react.
Old 12-05-10, 06:07 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel like i need some sway bars or something to keep my same cornering abilities on my stock 17's that i just put back on over the previous 19's or 20's with the nitto 555 tires.

btw my stocks are the pilot sport a/s which are decent but not anything like the nitto's.
Old 12-05-10, 09:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Airtime, Traction control didn't save your a$$. That "beep beep beep" was from the VSC which cannot be turned off on the 2004-up LS430 like it could on the 01-03 LS430. I posted the relevant pages from the 03 and 04 LS430 owners manuals at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...control-3.html

You could have turned off your traction control and VSC would have still saved your a$$ because you have an 04 LS.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-05-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 11:18 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Airtime, Traction control didn't save your a$$. That "beep beep beep" was from the VSC which cannot be turned off on the 2004-up LS430 like it could on the 01-03 LS430. I posted the relevant pages from the 03 and 04 LS430 owners manuals at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...control-3.html

You could have turned off your traction control and VSC would have still saved your a$$ because you have an 04 LS.

Guess I have to change the title to VSC save my A$$ Thanks for the correction. I did have 20" with Nitto 555 and had great grip, the stock 17" are with Goodyear Eagles which is great in rain and light snow.
Old 12-05-10, 11:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

VSC saved me from crashing our 03' GS300 SD also, the car just had a dealer visit and those lame *** adjusted the tire pressure to 32 psi front and 38 psi rear making the car oversteer prone, so in a high speed sweeper the rear end of the car started to come out. If the VSC was off, I would have crashed the GS hard.

Lesson learned?

1, I can't drive
2, VSC rocks.
3, Some dealer tech sucks. (well in general, I know there are exceptions, so all you great dealer techs out there reading this, don't hate me )
Old 12-05-10, 02:07 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Airtime, stay safe out there. I hear you've been getting some messy winter weather. While someone flipped the winter switch around here to "ON" on December 1, we're just getting flurries along with the cold (and wind today).
Old 12-05-10, 04:05 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had my wife in the car and tried to take a tight right turn at 70, the VSC wouldn't be the only thing "beeping" at me.
Old 12-05-10, 08:27 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by randal
If I had my wife in the car and tried to take a tight right turn at 70, the VSC wouldn't be the only thing "beeping" at me.

Agree since we not driving a sport car but sometime I do love to punch it . Be careful though as this year weather really crazy.
Old 12-08-10, 08:14 PM
SteveM
Driver

I also experienced this beeping and a small correction when I slid slightly cornering on some ice at low speed. I had the trac off also so thought it must be the VSC. Interesting feel having it correct for you but appreciated
Old 12-08-10, 08:25 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like vsc save you more than t/c. We had a bit of snow a few days back and I went out for a fun drive. I found out that I could only disable t/c and not vsc (regardless of how long you hold the t/c button down). As a result it let me spin the wheels in a straight line, but prevented sliding through corners. While I appreciate the safety feature, I also wish I could at least have the option of turning it off when I want to have some real fun. For the record my attempts were made at empty intersections.
Old 12-08-10, 09:44 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The T/c saved my a$$ a hundred times here in NYC during winters and wet days. It really does a good job correcting the slide. Its been almost 2 years since i got my LS and i still love it as much as i did before. This thing is staying with me for at least another 150k miles
Old 12-08-10, 09:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the VSC off in my SC430 yesterday morning and I got instantly sideway in an intersection when I gave it too much gas during a turn! This 4.3L engine got A LOT of low end torque! Have to be really careful if the VSC is off!
Old 12-08-10, 11:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can vsc be turned off in the 04+ models? I read somewhere it can't.

Quick Reply: Traction Control save my A$$