LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Side View mirror mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 10:12 AM
JClaudia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side View mirror mechanism

Months ago the passenger side view mirror on my LS 430 stopped opening and I was only able to adjust it manually. I brought it into the dealer for repair and was told it would cost $500! When I went to pick up my car, I noticed that the driver's side view mirror now also doesn't work. The dealer wants me to pay to replace it, another $500, even though it was working when I brought my car in for repair. Any suggestions on how to handle this problem, and for less than $1000 for both?

Last edited by JClaudia; 12-08-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 10:15 AM
JClaudia
Driver School Candidate

This is a test.
Old 12-08-10, 10:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Ask to speak to the service manager. Be polite and courteous - ask him or her if they could give you a discount or comp the second repair. Point out gently that the driver's mirror stopped working while in their care, but be sure to let him know you aren't accusing them in any way.

Its likely a coincidence that the mirror stopped working but at the same time you should feel free to ask for some discount.
Old 12-08-10, 10:57 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If what Jabberwock suggests does not work try reading the information found in this link about the mirrors. It seems that it is a fairly common problem as most of us have had the same thing happen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-adjujst.html
Old 12-08-10, 11:21 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

If the original post refers to the power folding of the entire mirror assembly, not the power-adjustable mirror glass, see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...or-mirror.html
Old 12-08-10, 03:09 PM
JClaudia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Ask to speak to the service manager. Be polite and courteous - ask him or her if they could give you a discount or comp the second repair. Point out gently that the driver's mirror stopped working while in their care, but be sure to let him know you aren't accusing them in any way.

Its likely a coincidence that the mirror stopped working but at the same time you should feel free to ask for some discount.
Although I was polite and courteous, the service manager merely offered to comp the labor. I do not feel that is adequate compensation. While it is conceivable that it is a coincidence that the driver's side mirror mechanism stopped working when brought to the dealership, contrary to your assertion, I think it is highly unlikely to be a coincidence for two reasons: (1) the mirror was working fine when I brought the car in for repairs and (2) the service department was looking at the very same problem on the passenger's side and both window mechanisms are operated by the same switches. It seems to me that the service manager is not taking appropriate responsibility for a problem that occurred while my car was in his custody. A car should be returned in the same condition it was in when it was brought in, not a worse condition. By the way, it was only when I tried to operate the mirrors after paying for the repairs that I discovered the problem-- no one called me up in advance and said that this problem occurred while they were trying to fix the other mirror.
Old 12-08-10, 07:12 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes its build up of debris in the mechanism. Thats said, may not be the case with your. As you know, nuts and bolts assist in the folding action done by the rearview mirrors. I found that they can become stiff(weather/rust/build up of debris/etc.) for various reasons which I have no clue what mines was. I got some WD40 and applied it in the areas were the mirrors were able to fold and the issue went away. If its the actual motor/machine that makes it fold, thats another issue and you may have to bite the bullet.

I know your upset/frustrated but, trust they didnt intentionally mess with your drivers side mirror. The thing is I have for years on this site complain about dealerships and there service departments. I get attacked when I state how unfair they are etc., so I feel you. Its possible they did mess with the drivers side mirror to check on why the passengers side one was malfunctioning and mistakenly damaged it but, intent is to hard to prove. I feel you fellow member, theres no by chance they did something(without intent I think) that caused now the drivers mirror to go out. Don't sweat it though cause they wont help you at all cause the dealerships service department is all about money, not customers. Check to see if Toyota or another company that does Lexus' can do it for cheaper. Maybe if you buy the parts then have it installed, you can come out cheaper as well.

Also, keep in mind we all own luxury cars and repairs will be steep at dealerships(Priced very high, I feel you) and if you go there, beware,hahahhaah! Best of luck dear member on getting a price break. May not be a WD40 fixer you have so dont do what I did, dont want you to damage it further. Mines just needed lubricant. LGNM
Old 12-08-10, 08:14 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Having the service manager offer to comping you the labor on th second mirror is pretty good offer if the other mirror just happened to die at the same time which is certainly a possibility.

But if you are convinced that somehow the dealership caused the other mirror to break while performing service on the first mirror, than it is not a good deal for you at all.

The problem is that there is no way to prove the dealership caused the mirror to break - I guess I'd ask to speak with the technician who did the work and ask them about it.

Bottom line is that if you are really sure they broke the other mirror, than stick to your guns and keep escalating your request that Lexus comp you the entire repair cost. Its important to be polite and courteous (especially as you move up the management chain) but keep going till you get satisfaction. Next step is to request a meeting with either dealership owner or with Toyota Lexus regional rep.

In almost every case if you are clever enough to get to senior mgt in the typical corporate organization with a relatively minor request, some exec will OK it just as a matter of goodwill, and also to make you go away (because you are now costing them time and money dealing with you).

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-08-10 at 08:18 PM.