LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

cigarette lighter (near shifter) no longer works

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 04:54 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cigarette lighter (near shifter) no longer works

Hello all, I just noticed (as of yesterday) that my cig lighter no longer works. I use it to charge my phone. I don't know if it's a blown fuse or not. And I don't know where the fuse would be located (is it in the engine bay or inside the cabin). I'm hoping someone who has experienced this before has an answer?
Old 12-03-10, 05:02 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

it happened to me, and it was the fuse located in the passenger side behind a little door next to the passengers right ankle ..... it's a 15 (amp ?) fuse, it's blue in color.
Old 12-03-10, 10:08 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, are you sure? i was googling the topic and someone mentioned it was in the fuse box under the hood. i'll just check both later on.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._a_Lexus_LS430
Old 12-03-10, 10:48 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think that's a fairly common problem as others have also stated in previous threads. Seems to be this one charging outlet, too. It happened to me also ...
Old 12-03-10, 12:36 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by mikevanle
thanks, are you sure? i was googling the topic and someone mentioned it was in the fuse box under the hood. i'll just check both later on.

Yes, 100% if its the cig ligher outlet in the ashtray. I had the same problem and replaced the fuse there on my 2005 LS
Old 12-03-10, 02:29 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

^^Yup thanks. I looked in the driver's side kick panel first. There was also a 15A "cig fuse" in there, but it was fine. Then I went to the passenger's side, and there was also a 15A cig fuse. That one was burnt out and I replaced it.

Then I burnt it again. It seems like the new USB charger I'm using is somehow causing that fuse to keep getting burnt. However when I charge using the plug in the center console, it works fine. Odd... They are both 15A.
Old 12-04-10, 06:41 AM
Michael430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus did not design the cigarette lighter plug to constantly power devices such as cell phone chargers etc. The plug in the center console while appearing to be the same was made to do so. That's why the fuse tends to blow when power is drawn from the cigarette plug for any extended period.
Old 12-04-10, 08:07 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael430
Lexus did not design the cigarette lighter plug to constantly power devices such as cell phone chargers etc. The plug in the center console while appearing to be the same was made to do so. That's why the fuse tends to blow when power is drawn from the cigarette plug for any extended period.
odd, but believable. The lighters are slightly different too, which may be just an appearance thing.

My cig lighter blew once, replaced the fuse, and have used it for my navigation and Bluetooth charging for a while without issue.

The fuses come in boxes of 5 .... so I am prepared.
Old 12-04-10, 09:32 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael430
15A continuous or intermittent is what the fuse will handle and the socket and its wiring is designed to handle that or Toyota would never rate/fuse the circuit at 15 amps. The cigarette plug and console amperage rating is the same. I suspect that something with the charger plug is shorting the socket as you insert the plug into the socket or else the socket itself is worn out or loose and subsequently shorting.
Old 12-04-10, 08:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

This would be a great excuse to get rid of the ashtray and replace it with the Lexus accessory box with the 12v covered port. Its a 15 minute job to replace it and its way more useful that the ashtray. I find it hard to believe anyone would be dumb enough to smoke in an LS430 anyway (sorry smokers but its way past time for you to quit - you have to know you look like complete losers still smoking).
Old 12-04-10, 09:11 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
This would be a great excuse to get rid of the ashtray and replace it with the Lexus accessory box with the 12v covered port. ....
Is there a picture of this somewhere ?
Old 12-05-10, 05:42 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Here you go - getting rid of the ashtray is the single best interior mod you can make to an LS. The kits come in two shades of wood depending on your interior color so make sure you call and give them your VIN to get the right shade. Even with right shade there will be some variation - the one I got was almost a perfect match. In a pinch you can swap the original wood cover from the ashtray as its the exact same size.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ternative.html

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-05-10 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 03:55 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

I had the same problem, replaced #32 fuse with a new 15 amp, plugged in the lighter and it popped but was only warm to the touch; plugged it into the rear lighter socket and it got red hot. Lexus has a problem with the front lighter socket.
Old 12-05-10, 08:45 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I've used the front lighter socket in my 2002 extensively with a 300W inverter for hours at a time - never experienced any problems.
Old 12-06-10, 06:19 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

When a topic keeps recurring on forums like this, it is an indication that there is a design/manufacturing problem. Somehow there is a weak point in the wiring or connections of the front cig lighter circuit that causes the system to blow fuses on some of the LS's. If you aren't having problems, consider yourself fortunate. I love my LS but I recognize that this issue is not going to go away on my car, just as trunk struts and passenger door handle issues will always be a reality of owning an SC300.

Quick Reply: cigarette lighter (near shifter) no longer works