"AFS off"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 07:06 PM
goat430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "AFS off"

Hello.

I'm a thrilled new owner of a 2004 ls 430 When I bought it, the "AFS OFF" light was always on, and I know it's related to the headlights. I have noticed that the lights seem to point a bit down. Anyway, to get it analyzed diagnostically, the dealership is asking for $130. I'm wondering what to do. I think I could economically have the lamp illuminating the "AFS OFF" disabled. Would it be risky to have the headlights out of position? If it would cost a few hundred bucks to fix it, I'd do it. But if it's over $500, I'd rather just have it disabled. And if it's $130 to just have it diagnosed, why bother?

Thoughts?

Regards
Old 11-23-10, 11:16 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goat430
Hello.

I'm a thrilled new owner of a 2004 ls 430 When I bought it, the "AFS OFF" light was always on, and I know it's related to the headlights. I have noticed that the lights seem to point a bit down. Anyway, to get it analyzed diagnostically, the dealership is asking for $130. I'm wondering what to do. I think I could economically have the lamp illuminating the "AFS OFF" disabled. Would it be risky to have the headlights out of position? If it would cost a few hundred bucks to fix it, I'd do it. But if it's over $500, I'd rather just have it disabled. And if it's $130 to just have it diagnosed, why bother?

Thoughts?

Regards
The instrument cluster is a one piece circuit board with VERY small LEDs for all of those warning lamps. It isn't like you can just pull a bulb or have the dealership disable the light.

Technically, there IS a way to manually adjust the headlight position upward if it is the worst case scenario and there is a mechanical failure of the AFS components. However typically, it is just the height level sensor in the rear of the car that is known to go bad.
Old 11-24-10, 03:19 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You might want to try a Toyota dealer, they can be less expensive for quality work. All in all I find it wise to do repairs right the first time or it bites me on the backend, quality tires, parts, service etc.. You will hopefully find as most of us have on the board these are pretty trouble free cars. Good luck! Welcome.
Old 11-24-10, 03:22 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Also, Did any of this show up when you had the prepurchase inspection by a Lexus dealer?
Old 11-24-10, 05:17 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFS is just the feature that pivots the lights left or right as you turn. Dumb questions, but could you possibly have just pushed the button that deactivates the AFS? I would think not since you said the dealer wanted $130 to analyze it already.

If the lights are just low, but they are both aligned, then it's probably not a problem. I would not worry about it. If it was high, then I'd worry about blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 11-24-10, 07:37 AM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For safety purposes, you really need to do the repair.

On my 04 LS, I had the exact same issue. As Playdrv4me correctly stated, it is a module in the rear of the car that goes bad. Mine was corroded.
The cost to replace, including part and labour by an independent, was close to $600.

Your headlights are currently pointed down as a safety precaution, because your height sensor isn’t working. As soon as you replace the module, you’ll be able to see again when driving at night! You have no idea how bad your lo beam pattern is right now, until you see them corrected! I was shocked at the difference, and glad I spent the money on the repair.
The following users liked this post:
Dubbayoo (06-05-19)
Old 11-24-10, 11:04 AM
kenttz
Driver School Candidate

Also keep in mind if you have the dealer repair it. The $130 they charge for diagnosing the problem will go towards the repair cost if you decide to have them fix it.
Old 11-24-10, 02:44 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

if the 'AFS OFF' light is always lit up,and is solid,not blinking,the system is just turned off,and to fix that,all you need to do is press the button on the side of your steering column.
If the light is flashing,there is a fault in the system,and that will need to be taken in to a shop to be diagnosed.

Justin...
Old 11-24-10, 04:28 PM
goat430
Driver School Candidate

Default AFS Off owner

I appreciate the fast replies.

I should have said that that the AFS OFF is flashing, and can't be reset by the button to the left. If only!

I went by the Toyota dealership, but they said they can't do the diagnostics on it. Too bad, they are a lot closer.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and see what the Lexus dealership can find for $130. (You can get a lot for $130 on Black Friday! Like a GPS for the car, but that's another story!)

I need to have the timing belt changed too. I knew there were some loose ends to tie up on the car, so no real surprises so far.

Happy Gorging.
Old 11-24-10, 05:55 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at it this way, the $130 isn't just going to waste. It will be applied to the repair if you get it done. Hopefully it's just a dumb sensor out of whack and you get hit with a relatively cheap $400 or something.
Old 11-24-10, 09:09 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is unfortunate. The ideal way (so I think anyways) would be to get the lights aimed to your liking and just disconnect the whole AFS system. Adaptive lighting is cool, but it's more a conversational piece than anything (for me) for when my friends ride along. I know that it sweeps around corners and adjusts the height according to your car's position, but I can't help thinking that leaving it stationary will be just as effective.

Good luck with your repair. Hopefully they will be kind to your wallet.
Old 11-25-10, 05:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Carguy - I agree - the LS adaptive headlight system is my least favorite part of the LS430 bag of tricks. The lights are especially bad when they should be at their best - on two lane curvy roads at 50+mph. The lights should theoretically excel on curvy two lanes, and indeed I can see the lights bobbing and moving when driving - but they seem to react just slightly too slow to really follow rolling terrain at high speed.

I also think my perspective of what is good in a headlight system has been spoiled because my previous car was a 1999 RL. The RL had by far the best and most powerful headlight system I have ever used. That car's hid headlights could turn day into night and throw a usable white beam of light way down the road (without annoying on coming drivers).

The LS seems to throw almost as much illumination sideways as it throws out front - just seems poorly designed and goofy to me. btw - I have had my lights inspected and aimed by the dealership and they are still very unimpressive compared to the RL I had before.
Old 12-04-10, 04:29 PM
goat430
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved! Popping a cold one!

Well, after some digging, I found what I believe to be a great contact. On Craig's list I found a senior mechanic who had been working at Superstition Springs Lexus for the last seven years. I'm not sure what happened, but he has just started out on his own, his last day at the dealership was Nov 18.

He was super helpful, came to my house to take a look at the part and check it out. After he determined it was the rear sensor, he made some calls and the next day he drove to a junkyard and found the rear sensor for $70. He came back and put it on, charged me 200 bones, including the part. No more "AFS OFF" pain!

But way beyond that, this guy is an Lexus expert who charges much less than the dealership. I'm going to have the timing belt done by him for $437 with the same parts that the dealership charges $721 ( I know it can include a lot more, but this is an apples to apples comparison.) He's going to do some other stuff too, tuneup, filter changes, and so forth. My wheels are going to be in tip-top shape.

I'm really stoked to have found such a Lexus guru who's VERY reasonable. He still has his Lexus service jacket with his name on ! Unless this is some elaborate scam I am set!

Anyway guys, thanks a lot for the advice.

Gotta Love the Craigslist.
Old 12-23-10, 07:09 AM
curiousB
Rookie

Take a look here. Probably the rear axle sensor is at fault. You can change it yourself.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=44630
Old 02-25-11, 05:00 PM
rael
Rookie

Goat430,

Because of your post I found the same guy; Dude is excellent. I had a clunk in my front left wheel/suspension. The guy inspected it free and found a bad main bushing. While on the rack, he inspected the entire car, and I ended up with new brakes, all new fluids, filters, wipers. The car is totally dialed in now with 132K and feels like it's new. Plus, he picked up and delivered.

Before I met this guy I was ready to sell the car because I didn't want to overspend at the dealership on the unknown front suspension problem. Now I am as happy as can be, all for less than half of the dealership prices.

Now I'm keeping this baby 'til 200K, if I can. So, Goat430, thanks for your post. We need to keep this guy in business.

Quick Reply: "AFS off"