LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tips for buying a Lexus, LOVE the ls430......

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 02:23 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile Tips for buying a Lexus, LOVE the ls430......

Hi, I currently own a 1991 Lexus LS400 and am looking for an upgrade. I'm 35 years old, looking for a luxury car with power and about 80,000 miles (that's all I can afford...$19,000). I am looking at the 2004 LS430, the 2006 Acura RL and the 2006 Infiniti M45.

A couple questions:

Is the interior technology in the 2004-2006 LS430 already considered "behind"? I've noticed the 2006 Acura RL's interior seems to be way ahead.

Is the exterior of the LS430 considered boring?

Of all the cars I've mentioned, is the 2004 LS430 the way to go for me?

I'd love to hear some pros and cons for getting the LS430 over the Acura or Infiniti M45.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.
Old 11-16-10, 02:48 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully you have had a good experience with your LS400 so you know what to expect re reliability with a LS430. From what I've seen and read, the Lexus nav unit used in the LS430 appears to be dated compared to some other offerings from the time. Remember that all nav units from 7 year old cars are starting to look dated and will grow more so over the years. (Hence why some folks prefer to buy non-nav used cars and buy the latest in nav from an electronics store.)

Styling is a pretty personal preference, but the LS430 styling is considered to be conservative, but most luxury sedans from the period were generally conservative given the tastes of persons willing to spend $60k - $100K for a sedan. I call the styling timeless. My adult kids call it boring.

Most folks would say that the LS430 will provide a more luxurious, or less sporty, ride compared to the Acura or Infiniti.

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-16-10, 04:37 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I drove 89 Acura Legend for 10 years , than 99 Acura RL for 10 years. I switched to a 2006 LS430 in 2009 because it was a superior car to the newer versions of the RL.

On the inside the 2006 Acura RL is one of the most technologically advanced cars available at that time. This was a new redesign in 05 so I don;t think all the bugs had been worked out yet in 2006 - maybe an 08 RL might be more reliable. The RL seats and cabin have very good materials but overall are too snug for a flagship luzury sedan. On the outside the RL is eminently forgettable, it looks like a Honda Accord plain and simple. Very unimpressive externally. Acura's styling in the last 7 years has become a joke. The new RLs can be had used pretty cheap because they depreciate like crazy.

RL compared to an LS - The LS ride is world's better, more luxurious, interior cabin is spacious and way more comfortable. In the LS the amazing seats and driver ergonomics are world class compared to the unnecessary and overly complex showy techno BS in the RL.

RL has a V6 - yawn - and gas mileage is not that great on it. The LS has that wonderful silky smooth V8 - with gas mileage about on par to the RL in real world driving.

Cons - The LS is a bigger, flasher car. In heavy traffic and tight parking urban areas the RL might be easier to live with. LS is old school RWD, so in snow and ice areas the RL might be significantly easier to drive in bad weather.

For where I live (Dallas) it was a no brainer between these two cars as far as I am concerned - I'd buy a used LS over an RL in a heartbeat given the choice.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-16-10 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-16-10, 03:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you driven all three? What did you think about how they drove? Does it matter to you if a car is FWD or RWD?
Old 11-16-10, 03:36 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
Hi, I currently own a 1991 Lexus LS400 and am looking for an upgrade. I'm 35 years old, looking for a luxury car with power and about 80,000 miles (that's all I can afford...$19,000). I am looking at the 2004 LS430, the 2006 Acura RL and the 2006 Infiniti M45.

A couple questions:

Is the interior technology in the 2004-2006 LS430 already considered "behind"? I've noticed the 2006 Acura RL's interior seems to be way ahead.

Is the exterior of the LS430 considered boring?

Of all the cars I've mentioned, is the 2004 LS430 the way to go for me?

I'd love to hear some pros and cons for getting the LS430 over the Acura or Infiniti M45.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.
I own and ride both: A 1990 LS400 and a 2004 LS430. I love the newer one because every generation is better re. (electronic) comfort & security. I'm really happy that I didn't sell my LS400. In reality nobody needs more as the LS400 has: Unbreakable, looks after 20 years like a 5 year old car. No rust, mats, seats (no leather) like brand new and smell like 20 years ago.

I bought the LS430 because I thought I need a new one. I was wrong. You need a new one if you need to show others that you have a new one.

Keep the classic LS400 and buy an electric car later.
Old 11-16-10, 04:08 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I looked at a few 2006 RLs, because I had a 1994 Acura Legend that I wanted to replace. I chose a 2005 LS over the 2006 RL

The RLs big advantage is the SH all wheel drive. It is a more flashy interior, but not much exterior styling. Even though its a V6, it uses a LOT of gas, same as the V8 LS. They are about $ 5,000 - $ 8,000 cheaper than an LS ... but

The LSs big advantage is the smooth and powerful V8, lots more room, more luxury and much more comfort. The interior styling is a perhaps a bit conservative for a 35 year old, and the exterior styling will never be out of style ( elegance NEVER goers out of style. )

When I bought the Legend, I really wanted an LS400 but I chose to save $10,000 and buy an Acura .... this time I got the car i wanted. You should too !
Old 11-16-10, 08:33 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison: FWD V6 vs. RWD V8. I haven't heard much chatter about the M45 here, which is RWD V8, but it's a smaller car than the LS (the M competes more with the Lexus GS). If you were comparing the BMW 7 Series, the Mercedes S-Class and the LS 430, it would be easy to debate.

I think you have to decide how big of a car you want. You've already got an LS 400, so the LS 430 won't feel too much larger. But, if you do want something a little smaller, then it's between the RL and the M45 (at which point, it's back to FWD V6 vs. RWD V8). I'm not sure what kind of mileage you can expect from the M's V8, but if it's anything like the LS 430, then stepping down to a V6 isn't going to save you too much at the gas pump.

I'm a single, 38-year-old guy, who just bought an '05 LS 430 two months ago and I LOVE it! Even the salesman at the Lexus dealership gave me a little bit of **** about me opting for the LS "You don't have quite enough gray hair around your temples for this car," he said with a sly smile. (I had an '02 GS 430 for the previous five years and LOVED that car too. If you're looking at an M45, put a GS 430 on your list.) In the right color, and with the 18" wheels, the LS can have a somewhat sporting look to it, but as many here have said, it's still classy and has a timeless elegance that the RL and M45 can never achieve. Best of luck to you on your search!
Old 11-16-10, 10:24 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Hopefully you have had a good experience with your LS400 so you know what to expect re reliability with a LS430. From what I've seen and read, the Lexus nav unit used in the LS430 appears to be dated compared to some other offerings from the time. Remember that all nav units from 7 year old cars are starting to look dated and will grow more so over the years. (Hence why some folks prefer to buy non-nav used cars and buy the latest in nav from an electronics store.)

Styling is a pretty personal preference, but the LS430 styling is considered to be conservative, but most luxury sedans from the period were generally conservative given the tastes of persons willing to spend $60k - $100K for a sedan. I call the styling timeless. My adult kids call it boring.

Most folks would say that the LS430 will provide a more luxurious, or less sporty, ride compared to the Acura or Infiniti.

Good luck in your search.
I have had an amazing experience with my 1991 LS400. I love the power/reliability/timeless design. I've had it for over 3 years, bought it with 153,000 miles and have put on 70,000 miles with ZERO issues. When I first had it checked out the mechanic said he didn't see any leaks, he couldn't believe it (on a 16 year old car at the time).

Seems like a slight negative the navigation isn't up to snuff, but it's a small gripe, one I can live with. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-16-10, 10:31 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I drove 89 Acura Legend for 10 years , than 99 Acura RL for 10 years. I switched to a 2006 LS430 in 2009 because it was a superior car to the newer versions of the RL.

On the inside the 2006 Acura RL is one of the most technologically advanced cars available at that time. This was a new redesign in 05 so I don;t think all the bugs had been worked out yet in 2006 - maybe an 08 RL might be more reliable. The RL seats and cabin have very good materials but overall are too snug for a flagship luzury sedan. On the outside the RL is eminently forgettable, it looks like a Honda Accord plain and simple. Very unimpressive externally. Acura's styling in the last 7 years has become a joke. The new RLs can be had used pretty cheap because they depreciate like crazy.

RL compared to an LS - The LS ride is world's better, more luxurious, interior cabin is spacious and way more comfortable. In the LS the amazing seats and driver ergonomics are world class compared to the unnecessary and overly complex showy techno BS in the RL.

RL has a V6 - yawn - and gas mileage is not that great on it. The LS has that wonderful silky smooth V8 - with gas mileage about on par to the RL in real world driving.

Cons - The LS is a bigger, flasher car. In heavy traffic and tight parking urban areas the RL might be easier to live with. LS is old school RWD, so in snow and ice areas the RL might be significantly easier to drive in bad weather.

For where I live (Dallas) it was a no brainer between these two cars as far as I am concerned - I'd buy a used LS over an RL in a heartbeat given the choice.
Agreed, the biggest negative to the RL is the boring exterior. The other is the bad bottom end power that I'm looking for. I tried it out and the car was taking forever to pass a car to get onto the freeway, a major disappointment but one I thought I could overlook (I can't) due to my love for the comfort and styling of the interior. I have to admit, I'm looking for something that I can turn around and smile as I'm walking away looking at it (sorry to seem superficial) and a car that has power at my disposal. Maybe this is between the 2004 GS430, the 2004 LS430 and the Infiniti M45.

It's pretty important for me to hear from someone's point of view who's owned both (thanks Jabberwock), and who chooses the Lexus without looking back.

One concern I have is fixing $1,000 to $1,500 problems here and there (I can afford the payments no problem, it's the potential mechanical problems I worry about), even though with Lexus those are few and far between.
Old 11-17-10, 07:04 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS 430 will not ride as smooth and the interior quality doesnt match the LS. The M45 is a nice car but everyone and their mother has one...........maybe not the 45 but 35 but still. NYC streets are flooded with them. The only issue about getting the 04 LS is a few bugs that came with it. Some cars had a transmission recall that had to be done, some ECU flashes . Dont get scared.....there are plenty of 04 LS owners here and they are happy. My choices were just about the same as yours when I was shopping. I am very happy with my decision and I believe that i will enjoy my LS longer than other cars that I thought about getting. LS is the one!!

Last edited by Vpanin; 11-17-10 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-17-10, 07:53 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I quite like the RL and considered one while car shopping. The interior was cool but the exterior styling wasn't anywhere as nice as the LS430 IMO. Both cars should be very reliable in the long run. I never really got too serious about the RL so I never drove one. I did sit in one at the auto show and felt it was definitely a well made car (a damn sight better than a lot of the GM cars I sat in). The LS430 has the most room you can get on a sedan. I love the acres of headroom (I am 6 ft tall).

If you're a bit hung up on the avg age of the owners of these cars, I am 21 and very satisfied with the LS430. If I lived on a track, I would look elsewhere, but for everyday commuting there is nothing better than a full size luxury car. The LS is the most refined piece of engineering I have ever come across (and I've had the privilege of driving a lot of different stuff). You never feel the engine even on cold starts. The trans shifts seamlessly whether you are just cruising or going WOT for a bit of fun. The steering isn't bad either. There isn't a lot of feel (as expected), but it is very accurate and nicely weighted. The ride is awesome, you glide over bumps but you don't really float (at least I don't with the dunlop sports). Car is also extremely quiet. You can't hear much, not even the engine under normal acceleration. This makes for a very nice driving experience everywhere you go. You can use this car to it's max everyday by just enjoying the level of luxury and craftsmanship inside.

So far I've made this car sound pretty sedate, but don't think it's boring either. This car will rocket you from 0-60 in like 5.8 sec (according to Lexus...and I think they told the truth). More fun is the thrust you feel as you're hitting higher speeds. The power is always there. It is eerie how fast this 2 ton luxo sedan is. The suspension is tuned for comfort rather than speed, but the car can be driven quickly if you choose to do so.

Best way is still to test the cars you're most serious about. I was sold on the LS after I drove an example with 100k+ mi and the car still felt brand new (still quiet, refined, no squeaks or rattles).
Old 11-17-10, 11:43 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vpanin
The GS 430 will not ride as smooth and the interior quality doesnt match the LS. The M45 is a nice car but everyone and their mother has one...........maybe not the 45 but 35 but still. NYC streets are flooded with them. The only issue about getting the 04 LS is a few bugs that came with it. Some cars had a transmission recall that had to be done, some ECU flashes . Dont get scared.....there are plenty of 04 LS owners here and they are happy. My choices were just about the same as yours when I was shopping. I am very happy with my decision and I believe that i will enjoy my LS longer than other cars that I thought about getting. LS is the one!!
Interesting, I actually thought the M45 was nice because nobody seemed to have one. I haven't seen one in a week, I've seen plenty of Lexus and Acura's though. But didn't realize so many people had the 35's.

Also nice to see the differences between the GS 430 (which looks sportier) and the LS 430. I definitely would choose the smooth ride of the LS over the GS.

Thanks, LOVE to hear "LS is the one!!".

You guys are really helping me out a lot. Thanks.
Old 11-18-10, 10:11 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sportznuts, i am currently in the same situation. I am currently selling my 00' GS300 and looking for a LS430UL or M45 Sport w/ Advanced Tech Pack. The only advice i can really offer is to test drive both cars and see which one meets your criteria. They are both great and reliable Japanese cars and both offer great luxuries.
Old 11-18-10, 11:40 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Sportznuts, i am currently in the same situation. I am currently selling my 00' GS300 and looking for a LS430UL or M45 Sport w/ Advanced Tech Pack. The only advice i can really offer is to test drive both cars and see which one meets your criteria. They are both great and reliable Japanese cars and both offer great luxuries.
Thanks Infamous. I guess we can't go wrong either way. The M45 has a much more striking exterior compared to the LS430 (IMHO). And the M45 engine is a beast. But reliability is huge for me. I want a car that isn't going to kill my checkbook to keep.

What is the LS430UL as opposed to the regular?

Are there certain options that are a must have on the LS430?
Old 11-18-10, 04:45 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The must-have features for me were smartaccess and heated / cooled seats. So any car premium and up would have met those must-haves.

I wanted to have bluetooth, backup camera, and a center stack that didn't look like it belonged in a Camry. That pointed to modern luxury and above. (No offense intended to Premium owners.)

After sitting in a UL, I really wanted the semi-aniline black leather and extra leather trim. That pointed to a custom or ultra luxury.

I did not want the air suspension and smaller trunk of the UL, so my target was a CL.

Since I've owned the car, I've really come to appreciate the adaptive cruise control that is only available on the CL and UL.

Quick Reply: Tips for buying a Lexus, LOVE the ls430......