LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying 04 LS430 sport package..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 09:47 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default buying 04 LS430 sport package..need advice

Ok so was looking around and found a 2004 sport package with 85,000 mile.but I noticed that indication on message display that read "Maint reading" so the sales guy said that "we left the lights on and therefore drained the battery and when we jumpstarted, that's y the indication is there. The message will go away after some driving like for 100 miles or so". Now I have doubts since I never heard anythin like that. Those messages are there for a reason.so I tought any one who has any idea can help me out.

And also its a sport package .does the car has headlights that turn with steering wheel??!

Is there anything major I should look outfor that mite create a problem down the road

I think at 90,000miles I need to do a major service rite like timing belt along with water pump and tensioner??

Thanks y'all
Old 11-13-10, 10:45 PM
BC8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have that same exact model and yes the headlights are very responsive to the turns. never seen that particular message before, does it read maintenance required? if so thats an easy fix.
Old 11-13-10, 11:03 PM
imherenow
Racer

So the headlight should turn just by turning the steering or do I have to drive to notice it..and also can I see it clearly when the headlight is turning or isit just a slight turn or hardly noticeable..

And what do u mean "an easy fix"..like an oil change will remove it I guess??
Old 11-13-10, 11:41 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds fishy to me. but I would look for another LS bro.
Old 11-14-10, 04:52 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen a message like "Maint required" which comes up every 5K as an oil change and general service reminder. I know of no message that will go away after driving 100 miles aside from what happens if you tighten a loose gas cap on some cars. As has been mention in other threads, the electronics in these cars don't always like being jump started.

As for the headlights, if you drive the car in the dark around corners you will see the light field move in front.

The 90K service includes timing belt, water pump, etc. and is about $1500 US at the Lexus dealer. Cost can be less at a Toyota dealer or independent shop.

Remember that sport package cars have the emblem on the front fender behind the wheel well. Some sellers claim any car with 18" wheels has the sport package.

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-14-10, 06:57 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it could have been the interior lights, but beware if they say it's the headlights - they shut themselves off automatically when the car is turned off even in the full "ON" position.

I would question them very carefully and insist the car be 100% when you pick it up. And remember with regards to any assurances, if it's not IN WRITING it didn't happen.
Old 11-14-10, 07:13 AM
imherenow
Racer

Ya thanks guys but about the "maint readin" I will call up the lexus dealership since I have the service record history just to clarify doubts
Old 11-14-10, 08:32 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Akabond - save yourself potential misery and lost $$$ and spend the $100-150 at Lexus to have it inspected before you buy it. If the independent dealer balks or refuses then run in the other direction.

It will need timing belt and water pump soon and a few other things - maint is very expensive so be careful to fully check out the car.
Old 11-14-10, 10:33 AM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the headlights being left on CAN’T zap the battery; they automatically shut themselves off, to ensure this never happens. Given the age and mileage of the car, it may just need a new battery.

On the “Maintenance Required” message, I had the same thing on my car a few weeks ago. I realized that the technician failed to reset the oil life monitor, when my car had its last oil change. So, it COULD be something as simple as that…

Regarding the auto-pivoting headlights, the system is called “AFS” (Adaptife Front lighting System). There is an AFS button on the dash (near the controls to adjust the outside mirrors), which toggles AFS on/off. (There is also an “AFS off” indicator light on the instrument panel, to show when it’s disengaged). When AFS is ON, it will work at speeds above 6 MPH, and will pivot either the left or right headlight, based on steering angle and vehicle speed. You can definitely see the lights move, while driving through curves at night.

Finally, I would agree 110% with Jabberwock, spend a little money to get the car inspected by a Lexus dealer, if you’re serious about buying it; that’s pretty cheap insurance against some potentially big/expensive headaches later. Good luck on your search!
Old 11-15-10, 11:50 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

While the headlights automatically shut themselves off, the interior lights do not... We have had a dead battery more than once due to turning on the front reading light to scan the mail as we drive up our driveway and then forgettting to turn the dumb thing off. I think this was a oversight by Lexus, since even our Town & Country shuts off the interior lights after a certain amount of time. I know it's our fault, but we're getting old and need our cars to compensate for us!