Print Wikipost

Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 03:23 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwarnermd
I noticed that the ABS sensor is already on the new hub assembly. Does this come with the hub sub assembly part you got from Sewell or is that separate? They list a separate skid control sensor for another $183.
The hub and ABS sensor are a complete unit when you purchase them. I didn't need to purchase anything in addition to the hub's to complete the job.
Old 05-21-11, 05:14 AM
philboyj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I knew about this forum and DIY stuff, I paid $ 1100 to replace the front passenger defective wheel bearing/ hub.

It wasn't covered under warranty since I went over a famous NY pothole that also put a bubble on my tire.

When they informed me that it wasn't covered under warranty, I should have simply shopped around. I would have saved atleast $ 500.00 if not more and using a genuine Lexus part. We live and learn

I think I have made up for lost time since then by taking care of a lot of other stuff - including oil changes myself. These DIY posts with pics and step by step directions are awesome. I would suggest that even if there is an existing DIY, please do not hesitate to add another that seems similar but may explain a specific step / part in more detail.
Old 05-23-11, 10:33 AM
jwarnermd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, JimsGX. I even called the dealer who said the sensor was extra. If it's not included from Sewell I'll post.

I don't know what caused it, but all of a sudden I noticed a whirring sound. When I dismantled and spun the two front hubs separately, I could tell it was the left which did not spin freely. I've got 110,000 miles on vehicle. Not pleased, but the Sewell parts help take the sting away.

Last edited by jwarnermd; 05-23-11 at 10:39 AM. Reason: additional thanks to JimsGX
Old 05-23-11, 04:15 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by philboyj
Before I knew about this forum and DIY stuff, I paid $ 1100 to replace the front passenger defective wheel bearing/ hub.

It wasn't covered under warranty since I went over a famous NY pothole that also put a bubble on my tire.

When they informed me that it wasn't covered under warranty, I should have simply shopped around. I would have saved atleast $ 500.00 if not more and using a genuine Lexus part. We live and learn

I think I have made up for lost time since then by taking care of a lot of other stuff - including oil changes myself. These DIY posts with pics and step by step directions are awesome. I would suggest that even if there is an existing DIY, please do not hesitate to add another that seems similar but may explain a specific step / part in more detail.
So your wheel bearing went bad after hitting a pothole? I'm beginning to wonder if mine are bad. I recently went with 19" wheels with 30 and 35 series tires. I've went over potholes a few times enough to cause minor bends on the wheels. Now it feels like there is a flat spot making this "thud-thud" noise mostly felt and heard at about 35 MPH and up. I raised the front of the car and spun both wheels to see if I'd feel something from the wheel bearings but both spun smoothly with no noise. I also checked for bearing play but that also checked fine. What else would indicate bad wheel bearings? Thanks.
Old 05-23-11, 05:33 PM
philboyj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
So your wheel bearing went bad after hitting a pothole? I'm beginning to wonder if mine are bad. I recently went with 19" wheels with 30 and 35 series tires. I've went over potholes a few times enough to cause minor bends on the wheels. Now it feels like there is a flat spot making this "thud-thud" noise mostly felt and heard at about 35 MPH and up. I raised the front of the car and spun both wheels to see if I'd feel something from the wheel bearings but both spun smoothly with no noise. I also checked for bearing play but that also checked fine. What else would indicate bad wheel bearings? Thanks.
That's pretty similar to what I got - a soft thud-thud sound that starts at around 20-25 MPH and also when turning to the right (bad bearing was on passenger front side)
Old 05-23-11, 05:55 PM
Milan
Pole Position

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my bearings as well. I have just taken off my stock 17s and put on a set of 19s from my old car. The 17s caused the wheel to shake left and right like when a wheel is out of balance. Not anything dramatic but enough to be noticable. I thought that the wheels were in fact ouf of balance but I didn't bother with it since I was soon replacing them. Well I have the same steering wheel shake with a different set of wheels. This shaking only occurs between 50-60 MPH which is about 80% of my daily commute so it's kind of annoying. Car has 155k miles lol.
Old 05-24-11, 07:37 AM
buggs384
Driver

The pot hole idea is right on target. When I stopped by my local lexus dealer to pick up a part I asked a service tech for some tips before I removed my hubs.
He asked if I have bounced up any curbs....he said the hubs defiantly dont like hard knocks.

So if you hit some potholes and now have a "new sound" from the front could very well be the bearing.
Old 05-24-11, 08:17 AM
06~ULTRA
Driver

very good write up..thanks
Old 05-26-11, 07:55 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Great! I was hoping I'd just switch back to my stock unbent wheels and the symptoms will go away Oh well. Thanks.
Old 05-26-11, 10:10 AM
06~ULTRA
Driver

this is the kind of stuff that makes you wonder and think….humm, how reliable is the LS after all?? i’ve gone through 1 bad air suspension and I also hear a weird noise when making a left turn coming from my RF wheel. plus keeping the vehicle up on maintenance is not cheap. but, do I think it’s worth it…Hell Yeah!! still 1 of the best lux-sedans out.
Old 06-11-11, 04:40 PM
jwarnermd
Driver School Candidate

Nothing in particular caused my failure. No curbs or large potholes. The noise was subtle and initially sounded like an engine noise that progressed to a little steering wheel vibration, but only at 55-60 mph. It really is possible to DIY. I used a piece of wire to hold calipers up during dismantle. Tapping on back bolts as recommended above was perfect solution. The new hubs slide in easily. I used Simple Green as a spray and everything cleaned up nicely.
Old 07-28-11, 11:00 AM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

I just finished swapping my driver's side bearing this morning and wanted to throw my thoughts in the pot.

My car had some noise from the front left wheel that I thought was tire noise. The noise got louder, and would go away if I turned left (taking the weight off the bad hub), so I decided to swap it out. The writeup on this thread was great...I usually try to see if there is some info before I start my projects, so thanks to the OP for taking the time to do this.

My input for this is simple enough as follows...
Hub box is the perfect height to rest the caliper on during the swap!

The little hole in the rotor is important...use a small bolt to "pop" your rotor off by inserting it into the holes.

I removed the hub after taking the bolts out by simply striking the back of the surface that has the studs in it at the rear twice...the hub popped right out.

A small strip of medium grit sandpaper and some brake cleaner used on the hole in the spindle will clean it up nicely and the new hub will slip right in.

Noise is gone and car is now 3db quieter on the same stretch of freeway @ 70 and 75mph after only a 20 minute repair.

On a side note, I used a National branded hub and the ABS sensor is the exact same part as the original (Koyo) with matching numbers.
Thanks again to the OP for the writeup and to the folks that keep the forums running smoothly!
Old 07-28-11, 12:03 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wait wait... What ????! Almost 300usd for hub Sewell asking ????!
These are 125usd per piece in Russia. Original Toyota ones...
Maybe i can help someone out )
Old 09-11-11, 06:15 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

So that's for the write up was a brezze swapping out both hubs but now I have a squeling sound from the front right goes away when I brake I think I may of put the brake pad in a bit off center my looked a bit low so I'll just get new ones
Old 09-14-11, 05:56 AM
cjsmuscle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write up! This long time lurker has to do it on my 2002 this weekend.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430