LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fuel Injector Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 04:42 AM
zinomori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner?

I am looking for fuel injector cleaner for my 2002 LS430, but can't decide between STP and Lucas. A worker at our local auto store told me that Lucas work better. I searched online for awhile and found so many mixed up reviews on both brands. Just wondering what are you guys using in your LS430 and recommend to others? I am not committed to purchase one of these, so recommendations for other fuel injector cleaners are also welcome.

Thanks..
Old 11-09-10, 04:51 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It was a while back, so my memory might be failing me, but I looked at both and I seem to remember they use the exact same chemicals. SO.. it really won't make much of a difference which one you use.

If this is the case (take a look at the packages, they sometimes have the "ingredients") then just get the cheaper one.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-10, 08:33 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

This article on AOL Autos says that "Pouring This Stuff In Your Car Is Money Down The Drain" and that "Only a professional fuel system cleaning can clean fuel delivery systems effectively" -- http://autos.aol.com/article/automotive-alchemy/

Some reader comments disagree with him.

I would ask an experienced mechanic to diagnose your problem and to make a specific product recommendation.

If you aren't having any problems, try only using Top Tier gas (www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html) as a preventative measure and you probably won't need to use an off-the-shelf cleaner.

More reading material:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...ector-cleaner/ (lots of info in the comments)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2005/0...-injectors.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=37&page=1

Last edited by StanVanDam; 11-11-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-09-10, 10:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Redline SI-1 because my friend recommended to me and Redline is a good famous brand.

But in my mind I think they are all the same, just a cleaner.

I might try Lucas next time since Walmart carry it and it might be cheaper. But then they are all within $1~$2 of each other.

Kragen carry the Redline:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=80&pcid=12
Old 11-09-10, 11:00 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I use Lucas when I had my 430 and in the 460, IMO it works.
Old 11-09-10, 11:12 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use Techron right before an oil change.
Old 11-09-10, 12:19 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Had the car a month and just put STP in mine, for $5 why not ?
I did it cause maybe the previous owner used low octane gas ??????

I think they are all the same - just a mild cleaner that won't do much harm or that much cleaning either - I mean what do you expect for a $ 5 cleaner, lol
Old 11-09-10, 12:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not all cleaners are the same.

I use to use Lucas, but it's more of a conditioner with some cleaning ability. Redline SI-1 along with Gumout REGANE and the older Chevron Techron stuff are the ones you should use if you want more effective cleaning power.
Old 11-09-10, 02:22 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

ive owned about 32 cars and i have never added fuel injector cleaner to any of my cars that had injectors,never had a fuel related problem.lucky i guess
Old 11-09-10, 02:42 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redline Si-1 Contains PEA according to the MSDS

Techeron Plus also contains PEA but its newer MSDS do not show % of PEA any more.

Redline Si-1 has been shown to be a very effective cleaner. Which is why I use it.

Whats PEA?

Its the only known chemical to actually clean and not leave anything behind. Lucus and many others which do not contain PEA are just snake oil. Some Fuel system cleaners are just Kerosene!

Redline Si-1 can be found locally at pepboys. Its cheap and it works.
Old 11-09-10, 03:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
Redline Si-1 Contains PEA according to the MSDS

Techeron Plus also contains PEA but its newer MSDS do not show % of PEA any more.

Redline Si-1 has been shown to be a very effective cleaner. Which is why I use it.

Whats PEA?

Its the only known chemical to actually clean and not leave anything behind. Lucus and many others which do not contain PEA are just snake oil. Some Fuel system cleaners are just Kerosene!

Redline Si-1 can be found locally at pepboys. Its cheap and it works.
Oh wow thanks for the insight! I'll stick with SI-1 then. I guess my friend was right!
Old 11-09-10, 03:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
ive owned about 32 cars and i have never added fuel injector cleaner to any of my cars that had injectors,never had a fuel related problem.lucky i guess
Well fuel system only get dirty over usage, if all 32 cars are owned and used by yourself only, which means you only put very little mileage on each car, which means none of them needed any fuel system cleaning during the period that you owned them.

Of course I could be wrong since I know nothing about you, you could be 110 years old and drive 250k miles a year like this guy:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/man-repo...our-years.html

But generally speaking, let's say you are 40 years old like the most of us and drive 10k~15k miles a year, which means you put less then 10k miles on each of the 32 cars that you owned. So none of them needed to be clean

I only clean the fuel system on my car every 15k~20k miles.
Old 11-09-10, 04:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I drive 25-30 k a year last 10 years. Never used anything, never had a problem. Guess I am just lucky!
Old 11-09-10, 04:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Having problems and not running at optimal performance are two seperate things. Some people never flush the coolant out of their cars and never have problems, but we all know the coolant isn't as effective as it was brand new. You dont' have to have problems with the car in order to benefit from fuel injector cleaning. ALL CARS WILL HAVE BUILDUPS no matter what.
Old 11-09-10, 05:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess you are right. I should add an 8 oz bottle of cleaner into my high detergent 20 gallon tank of premium gas even if it is not misfiring, running rough or has no decrease in fuel economy. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner?