LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Very disappointed in LS430 - i thought these were supposed to be high quality cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 09:19 PM
vipergts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very disappointed in LS430 - i thought these were supposed to be high quality cars?

Hi Guys,

I am very disheartened so please bare with me as I vent here. I have now owned my 2001 Lexus UL with 60K miles for just under a year. I bought the car from a reputable dealer with full service records and it was only a single owner car. Car had 0 problems, accidents, etc. Unfortunately I have had a terrible experience so far. I have owned Mercedes, several Bimmers and a Jag in the past and none of the other vehicles has been as unreliable as this car. I have barely driven the car 5K miles and not skimped on any service, yet here is what went wrong so far:

- Steering Telescoping/Tilt Motor failed and it's stuck in the most horrible driving position - Lexus says $1900 to fix!

- Check engine came on 4 months ago - code indicates cat converter issue - Lexus says whole exhaust assembly and cat need to be replaced - $2500 quoted.

- Pulley Tensioners squealing like crazy - Lexus quoting $500 - 1000 to fix.

- Just to make things more fun, I took the car in for servicing and was happily informed by customer service that they just saw a new Check Engine code indicating a "transmission solenoid" issue. He says the best option is to REPLACE THE WHOLE FRIGGIN TRANSMISSION ("that's standard procedure") - was quoted $4500-$5000 for the job.

This is just great! I bought this car after tons and tons of research and NO it was not a LEMON. I am so frikkin disappointed. I will never own another lexus, at least without a warranty. What pathetic reliability and totally useless support from the Stealership.

To top it all of my 2007 IS350 has problems with the headlights randomly going off when on "auto" mode. Honestly I had better reliability with cheap american cars and German vehicles. Gave lexus a shot and sorely disappointed, should have listened to the German car crowd and not made the move...

Viper
Old 11-07-10, 09:33 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, Viper. Im very sorry to hear what you have went through buddy! Sounds to me like the 2001 LS430 already had issues. Trust me, they didnt just pop up when you got it. For sure the previous owner traded or sold it due to the issues you now face. Doesn't excuse the issues you've had at all. Lexus' aren't perfect and I tell ALL on this site/club this and they get mad at me(most, not all)! These cars can be flawed and have been as you see with your IS350.

I have owned 5 Lexus' and have had great cars and few issues. Mostly only TSB's which tend to be issues cars for that years make and model have. I will suggest you do this. Fix what is wrong with the car or get rid of it and cut your losses. The reason I say fix the issues(if financially, you can, times are hard for us all so, I feel you) wrong is so you can from that point on enjoy a problem free car. FOCUS on the solution, not the problem! The other solution will be to sell it and find another car or trade it in and get another car that has no/less issues.

I for one have had good fortune with my cars. My 2001 isn't a UL like yours but, has given no issues other than TSB's and all were fixed under warranty! I feel for you bud, dont let it upset you. FOCUS on the solution only. MOve forward and if that means leaving LEXUS, do so because if it makes you happy, thats what matters most. LGNM
Old 11-07-10, 09:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Viper,

So you were serious in the other post, again I am sorry for your pain

Like I said in the other post, no cars regardless of brand or model is perfect, there are always good or bad ones. The only difference is the percentage of good or bad ones each one has. And as far as used cars goes, even if they have full service records, no accidents.....etc, the car still could be treated badly by the previous owner causing all kinds of problems.

My guess is the car you bought have been abused, all the problems you stated are not common at all. Don't think I am a Lexus fanboy, I like Lexus just because of all 6 Lexus we have owned so far are flawless. And honestly I don't like any Lexus models that came out after 2006. The next car I buy could very well not be a Lexus.

A friendly heads up I have for your 60k miles UL if you decide to keep the car, tons of air suspension strut fail around 50k miles, if all the struts on your car are still original, watch out for those, they are extremely expensive Research your options now, it takes a while, I converted my air suspension to regular steel springs and couldn't be happier, search for the thread I created for infos.

You just ran into some bad luck on this car, I wish you better luck on the next one. If you were happy with American or European cars, stick with it, don't listen to what anyone tells you, do what makes YOU happy and are comfortable with, everyone have their own preferences and needs
Old 11-07-10, 10:01 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

In fairness, 2001 was the first year this car was available in the U.S., and in general, first year cars are to be avoided for this reason.

That said... I have not been all that impressed with our 2004 one owner car also with full service history, purchased with 97k. Now going down the highway, there are FEW cars that can equal the "executive jet" feel of the LS430... even the 1998 to 2000 LS400 which is all my time favorite LS can not match the 2001-2006 in this particular trait. However, overall fit and finish and reliability is nothing special compared to the older LS.

My brother loves the car (its basically his car) but he does not understand that I don't generally like to keep cars with ANY even minor driveline issues, and this one has had low speed transmission issues since the first day we got it (well noted in another thread here). I also am not a huge fan of the materials in the non-UL/CL versions (something that you didn't have to pay EXTRA for on the 98-2000) and overall, the car just doesn't have the "Lexusness" down as good as the older one did. As for the "abuse" issue... unless the vehicle came from the Northeast or Southern Florida, I really don't find that these cars often end up in the hands of people who "abuse" them.

I have discovered that the 1998-2000 LS400 and 1998-2006 Land Cruiser/LX470 are just about the best Toyota products we may ever be able to buy. Those two were the peak.
Old 11-07-10, 10:02 PM
vipergts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you both - I have to say the Lexus Owner Community is the best and most supportive (maybe with the exception of the Corvette Forums/Community) of all the auto forums i belong to. The reason all of this is so suprising to me is because of all this positive fedback (like your comments above). I always hear from people that they have owned half a dozen lexus vehicles and have had no major issues at all. Oh well I guess you guys are right, the glass is always half full. The problem is I don't want to spend close to 10K fixing all these issues neither do I want to pass the problems to someone else. I am stuck in limbo....
Old 11-07-10, 10:29 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel you Viper, I hope you find a solution that make s you happy. I understand the feeling though. Its how I felt when I owned a couple of Benzes. I could have just got the two bad seeds and not the good ones. Benz owners sware about the Benz and how good it is as a car to them. For me, its about what makes us happy. The Lexus didnt give you what you needed and thats unfortunate for there company to say the least. Sometimes a rep, is just that! A rep! and when the reputation is put up as high as Lexus' has in the last 20 years its easy to be let down.

I'll admit, Lexus has fell a bit in reliability and your car is a small example of the few issues that have come about in the last ten years(post 1990-2000 LS')! I truly hope you get a windfall soon that can allow you to get out of the LS you own now were its pain free fellow member. I come to this site whenever you need to vent or celebrate. Were car family and are here for you. LGNM
Old 11-07-10, 10:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
In fairness, 2001 was the first year this car was available in the U.S., and in general, first year cars are to be avoided for this reason.

That said... I have not been all that impressed with our 2004 one owner car also with full service history, purchased with 97k. Now going down the highway, there are FEW cars that can equal the "executive jet" feel of the LS430... even the 1998 to 2000 LS400 which is all my time favorite LS can not match the 2001-2006 in this particular trait. However, overall fit and finish and reliability is nothing special compared to the older LS.

My brother loves the car (its basically his car) but he does not understand that I don't generally like to keep cars with ANY even minor driveline issues, and this one has had low speed transmission issues since the first day we got it (well noted in another thread here). I also am not a huge fan of the materials in the non-UL/CL versions (something that you didn't have to pay EXTRA for on the 98-2000) and overall, the car just doesn't have the "Lexusness" down as good as the older one did. As for the "abuse" issue... unless the vehicle came from the Northeast or Southern Florida, I really don't find that these cars often end up in the hands of people who "abuse" them.

I have discovered that the 1998-2000 LS400 and 1998-2006 Land Cruiser/LX470 are just about the best Toyota products we may ever be able to buy. Those two were the peak.
I am still bummed that I passed up a mint 40k miles 2000 LS400 in the exact color combo I want, the 2000 LS400 is the best car ever, it is gold!! Thank god my LS430 is treating me REALLY good, if not I would be pissed!

Yeah almost no one abuse a Lexus LS, but there are always exception
Old 11-07-10, 10:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipergts
Thanks you both - I have to say the Lexus Owner Community is the best and most supportive (maybe with the exception of the Corvette Forums/Community) of all the auto forums i belong to. The reason all of this is so suprising to me is because of all this positive fedback (like your comments above). I always hear from people that they have owned half a dozen lexus vehicles and have had no major issues at all. Oh well I guess you guys are right, the glass is always half full. The problem is I don't want to spend close to 10K fixing all these issues neither do I want to pass the problems to someone else. I am stuck in limbo....
Hey it is a used car, obviously the last guy passed it to you, I don't see it being wrong for you to pass it to someone else. That's how life is!
Old 11-08-10, 05:31 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sorry you are having probs with your LS430. These cars are generally very reliable but when they break they cost huge $ to repair.

Given the number of issues you are having, I suggest you get rid of your car ASAP. But do not sell a car with issues to a private party - bad karma. Instead trade the car in to a dealer. They will likely auction it and at the auction its all pros (with in house mechanics on staff) and they know all about buyer beware and generally expect cars to have issues..why else would they be at the auction?

Maybe trade it in at Lexus for an 04-06 model and definitely buy a CPO car or get an extended warranty. Or trade it in at Carmax for something newer and more reliable. Bottom line for me would be to get rid of it before more problems and costs occur. You will definitely take a loss on a trade any where you trade it but it is way better than paying thousands of $ to repair a older 2001 model.

I would not put big $ into repairs for a 2001, particularly if it may have been poorly treated in the past. It could just become an ongoing money pit..so just hit the eject button and get the pain and worry over with. JMHO.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-08-10 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-08-10, 05:32 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

ha viper,i thought your name looked familier on the corvette forums.
Old 11-08-10, 06:03 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bout your problems with your car viper.
Old 11-08-10, 06:09 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vipergts--

I'm very disappointed to hear of these issues. I have had three (3) LS models, and one (1) GS, and (knock on wood) I have never had ANYTHING break on any of them. I have several Lexus Tech friends who helped me decide to go with a 2005 LS-430 as they say they are "trouble-free" for the most part. I have had no problems with mine so far, and prey I don't.

With that said, "I would go to a Lexus Dealership and demand to speak to the head Service Manager and share this story with him/her. Ask not, receive not. You just might be surprised what they might be willing to do for you to get your car in top shape seeing what the total costs are going to be. Believe it or not, Lexus DOES want your business, and many times they will deeply discount problems such as yours to keep you happy. It sure doesn't cost anything to try. Be friendly, be courteous, as you gather more flies with sugar than vinegar. Please give it a try and see if the "Top Dog" in service will help you, if not, go to the GENERAL MANAGER and sing the same sad song. This is NOT typical of Lexus, trust me.

I had an issue in 1986 with a new Cadillac I bought my wife, and after three (3) months and about 3,000 miles, I went to the Service Manager, and he hooked me up with a Cadillac Field Rep, they had me bring my car over, put it on a lift and to get to the point, they told me to go out on the lot and pick out any new car I wanted. All they asked me to pay was for any additional options, which came to just over $100 bucks, as our car had about every option. They even paid for the Tax, Title and License fees to switch Titles to the new car.

Point is, if you don't go and ask you surely won't get any help, and all you have said "Shocks" me. Get all you can out of Lexus and if they don't take care of everything at a VERY fair price, take it to a reputable shop that specializes in Lexus cars and get it repaired for a much cheaper price. I don't know where you are located or I would recommend a shop.

Good luck, and don't let this one car totally spoil you on Lexus. I've heard the LS-460 is not as great as the LS-430's, again, the first year of a change can be a dangerous one in some cases.

Please let us know what you find out and maybe it will help us all on this forum feel better about Lexus and especially your situation. Good luck.
Old 11-08-10, 07:01 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

just a FYI... i've found that when your car is brought into the Lexus dealer for service, they note all the issues on the service ticket. So that history will stay with the car. Future owners can look up that history, which will hurt you if you trade in at a Lexus dealer or sell to a savvy private party. So, proceed cautiously.

Like the other folks said... Lexus cars are "typically" more reliable than this. However, all used cars, especially after 10 years, will have things fail. Just sucks that these things are so expensive.
Old 11-08-10, 07:49 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
just a FYI... i've found that when your car is brought into the Lexus dealer for service, they note all the issues on the service ticket. So that history will stay with the car. Future owners can look up that history, which will hurt you if you trade in at a Lexus dealer or sell to a savvy private party. So, proceed cautiously...
This raises a question in my mind, Viper, of what your Lexus service history showed for this car before you bought it. You can look that up in the owner section of lexus.com by registering your VIN.

BTW, I am known as C3RV (formerly C5RV) on corvetteforum.
Old 11-08-10, 07:52 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
Hi Guys,

I am very disheartened so please bare with me as I vent here. I have now owned my 2001 Lexus UL with 60K miles for just under a year. I bought the car from a reputable dealer with full service records and it was only a single owner car. Car had 0 problems, accidents, etc. Unfortunately I have had a terrible experience so far. I have owned Mercedes, several Bimmers and a Jag in the past and none of the other vehicles has been as unreliable as this car. I have barely driven the car 5K miles and not skimped on any service, yet here is what went wrong so far:

- Steering Telescoping/Tilt Motor failed and it's stuck in the most horrible driving position - Lexus says $1900 to fix!

- Check engine came on 4 months ago - code indicates cat converter issue - Lexus says whole exhaust assembly and cat need to be replaced - $2500 quoted.

- Pulley Tensioners squealing like crazy - Lexus quoting $500 - 1000 to fix.

- Just to make things more fun, I took the car in for servicing and was happily informed by customer service that they just saw a new Check Engine code indicating a "transmission solenoid" issue. He says the best option is to REPLACE THE WHOLE FRIGGIN TRANSMISSION ("that's standard procedure") - was quoted $4500-$5000 for the job.

This is just great! I bought this car after tons and tons of research and NO it was not a LEMON. I am so frikkin disappointed. I will never own another lexus, at least without a warranty. What pathetic reliability and totally useless support from the Stealership.

To top it all of my 2007 IS350 has problems with the headlights randomly going off when on "auto" mode. Honestly I had better reliability with cheap american cars and German vehicles. Gave lexus a shot and sorely disappointed, should have listened to the German car crowd and not made the move...

Viper
You may very well just have an overzealous dealer on your hands. There's no doubt that you have a broken tilt/tele steering wheel issue to fix. There are guides here about fixing the motor for almost nothing and with how-to pictures to boot.

Perhaps an oxygen sensor or two are needing replacement. They die more with time than with miles. All cars have them and they all fail eventually. Nine years and 60k is right on target. The front sensors are for fuel/air adjustments but the rear oxygen sensors are only there to help the ECU determine the health of the cat and nothing more. If the oxygen sensor is bad it can cause a false alarm about the catalytic converter.

At 60k your squeal can be just the serpentine belt itself. It's cheap an easy to replace to see if the squeal goes away.

As for the transmission, I'd change the fluid if you don't know if it has been changed, clear the codes and keep driving. I wouldn't even think about changing the transmission based upon one code, one time.

Quick Reply: Very disappointed in LS430 - i thought these were supposed to be high quality cars?