LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 fog light bulb questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 08:02 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2005 fog light bulb questions

In the 2005 headlights, is the fog light bulb a halogen 2005 or 2006 bulb ....
Is it a high or low beam bulb, and
how easy is it to change ?

Thanks
Old 11-08-10, 04:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe it is a 2006 if my memory is correct and i found a super easy kind of secret way of changing them. you jack up the front end of your car or if you have a lift then awesome. you really only need to jack one one side really high then the other side should be high enough to access as well,, i put a jack stand on the other side just case to keep me safe but if you car isn't extremely lowered then it prolly wont' crush you if it fell off the jack by some odd chance. also put the e-break on as hard as you can, this is just another safety precaution.

this is the easy part,, then just crawl under so you can see directly under the car where the fog light you want to change is, there are three (in a triangle pattern about 6-8 inches away from each other) small screw in nuts that you can take out witha number 10 socket or a phillips head screwdriver (i use a socket thing cuz its quicker). they only screw into the plastic under body protecting cover thing and one has a clip to hold 2 or 3 overlaping underlining pieces together,, try to memorize which way the clip is facing in a 3D dimension because this makes it a lot easier to put back together quickly.

after you take out the 3 screws you have to pull down pretty hard (it won't break so don't worry) on one corner of the plastic piece directly under the fog light towards the front of the car (right after the bumper ends). then just reach up and unscrew the fog bulb and pull it out and change it, then screw it back in tight and reverse the whole process.

it takes me about 10 minutes a side now and it took me a lot longer the first time i ever tried. 1 shop took off my whole front bumper to access the fog lights,, they charged me so much it made me figure out this DIY the next time i needed to get to them. it will prolly take you like 20 mins total with raising and lowering the car and everything. good luck its pretty easy.
Old 11-08-10, 06:19 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 the fogs are 9006 and drl is 9005 if I'm correct. They should be the same except for the headlight projectors.
Old 11-09-10, 02:41 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks sojah ..... but damn, that's a lot of effort just to change a bulb !

The difference between 2005 and 2006 bulbs is the filament placement and sometimes the wattage. One is a high beam bulb, and the other is low beam bulb but I forget which one is which.

I need to read the Owners Manual I suppose, because the different years probably use different bulbs.

Thanks
Old 11-17-10, 09:38 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
In the 2005 headlights, is the fog light bulb a halogen 2005 or 2006 bulb ....
Is it a high or low beam bulb, and
how easy is it to change ?

Thanks
I have a 2006 Ls. The high beam/daytime driving lights is a high beam 9005 bulb. 55 - 60watts is typical for these bulbs. The fog light bulb is a 9006 bulb. In non H.I.D. usage the 9006 is a low beam bulb and the 9005 is a high beam bulb. Both bulbs have only one filament although I know some people use L.E.D.s for either one. The low beam projector headlight (outer lights) are d2s bulbs which are H.I.D. bulbs.

Fog light installation was pretty easy for me. For example, if I wanted to change the driver's side bulb I would turn the wheel completely to the right (clockwise). With the car off, I would remove the two plastic screws closest to the outside of the fender. I would then remove two metal screws from the fender liner. One screw is approximately at the 9 o'clock position and the other is at the 11 o'clock position. Then all you have to do is pull on the liner just enough to allow you to fit you hand in to reach the bulb. Unplug the harness, turn the bulb counter clockwise and pull. It should come right out. For the passenger side the procedure is the same. Just turn the wheel in the opposite direction. Good luck.