LS 430 CD Player Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 07:11 AM
braunfels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 CD Player Problem

Hi,

I have a 2006 LS 430 with M. Levinson audio system. The car only has 25K miles and until recently, the 6 cd player worked fine. Now, it still sounds OK and plays CDs but it skips tracks & starts playing CDs on random tracks...2, 5 8, whatever. It doesn't start on Track 1. Also, when it advances, it may skip tracks on the same CD. If there is more than 1 CD in the player, it occassionally switches CDs before one ends and without me advancing the CD. I tried using a cleaner (Maxwell Automobile CD Laser Lens Cleaner) ...ran it through several times, but this did not help the problem. I have tried a number of different CDs and they all do the same thing. Again, the sound is fine, and a track will play from start to end, but where they start and how they advance seems to be all over the place. Somewhere I read that disconnecting power (battery) and reconnecting might reset factory settings and solve problems. I don't know that has anything to do with my problem, but for now, it's all I have left to try. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-04-10, 09:00 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

CDs are just about history so if you can't get the changer running I would not spend any cash on getting it repaired. If your cassette player (even more obsolete device) quit working in the LS, I am not sure how you'd even know : )

Instead of repairing or replacing CD player, spend the $ instead on a good quality integrated ipod interface.

I recently unloaded CDs from the changer and took all remaining CDs out of the car as CDs are completely redundant with the ipod. I have the equivalent of 60 CDs worth on music on my ipod and happily use it in the LS all the time.
Old 11-04-10, 09:02 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds lke it has a shuffle mode. I haven't been through all of the features, so maybe one exists somewhere deep inside a menu.

Found these in my owners manual. Check if these options are checked:

“DISC RAND” switch:
Use it for automatic track selection for all the discs and play by the system. When the switch is touched, the system selects a track in the discs of all the trays which are set and plays it. To cancel it, touch the switch once again. When a track is skipped or the system is inoperative, touch the switch to reset.

“RAND” switch:
Use it for automatic and random selection of the disc which you are currently listening to. When the switch is touched, the system selects a track in the disc you are currently listening to. To cancel it, touch the switch once again.

Last edited by caddyowner; 11-04-10 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 03:49 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they original CD's or burnt copies? If they're copies, make sure they are CD-R's and not CD-RW's... Every Lexus I've owned dislikes the CD-RW's...
Old 11-04-10, 04:53 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 2nd that on the disc random, but the ipod is the way to go.
Old 11-04-10, 04:56 PM
braunfels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Thanks for your help Caddyowner. I checked the settings for DISC RAND and RAND and they were both turned off. However, the DISC RPT was on and when I turned that off, the CD player seems to be working fine. Every CD I tried started on Trac 1 and advanced normally. Yesterday when we were on a long drive, none of the CDs started on 1 and they advanced to seemingly random tracs. I know this doesn't seem completely logical, since DISC RPT should not cause this, but turning it off worked. Also, JimsGX the CDs are all originals. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-10, 05:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

My CD Player does the same thing. I have not bothered to look into as it is not a big issue. I'm just glad it works and I even have a subwoofer that works!
Old 11-04-10, 06:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the question - it gave me a chance to learn something new about my car.