LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 the best car ever made

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 05:12 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Most of the folks on this site have purchased the LS430 used for less than 60k-20-30ish. The avg used car is aboutt 30 k.

Most of us value the smooth ride, power, reliability low maintenance in a solid performing ultra luxury used car back and forth to work in relative serenity. Sure it would be nice to hit the on and off ramps and the back roads with a little less body roll and power but there are tradeoffs for everything. AWD would be nice.

I do not think we are the group that wants used MB's out of warrantee for performance/ride with suspect engineering, V12's etc that really rich folks trade there cars in to avoid. I think we are a smart practicle group.

Myself I have a combined income of 160 k and trips to the dealer to pay for neat stuff just to work is not high on my list(look at the economy I want to retire with something and not look back). With that description this is surely a fine car for the money used in the ultra luxury class and meets my needs. I have 142 k on it and it is still tight as when I got it at 55 k for $17 k. I have put not a dime besides normal wear and tear into this car.
Old 08-10-11, 06:31 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Most of the folks on this site have purchased the LS430 used for less than 60k-20-30ish. The avg used car is aboutt 30 k.

Most of us value the smooth ride, power, reliability low maintenance in a solid performing ultra luxury used car back and forth to work in relative serenity. Sure it would be nice to hit the on and off ramps and the back roads with a little less body roll and power but there are tradeoffs for everything. AWD would be nice.

I do not think we are the group that wants used MB's out of warrantee for performance/ride with suspect engineering, V12's etc that really rich folks trade there cars in to avoid. I think we are a smart practicle group.

Myself I have a combined income of 160 k and trips to the dealer to pay for neat stuff just to work is not high on my list(look at the economy I want to retire with something and not look back). With that description this is surely a fine car for the money used in the ultra luxury class and meets my needs. I have 142 k on it and it is still tight as when I got it at 55 k for $17 k. I have put not a dime besides normal wear and tear into this car.
17K is a good buy, what year, and when did you buy it?
Old 08-11-11, 06:43 AM
debian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After re-reading my post I think it could sound like an attack. I just want to clarify that it was typed with a smile.
The Lexus LS is definitely a car that screams attorney, middle-management or accountant (ie upper middle class) The VIP style in Japan screams Yakusa.
Practical is a dead on description.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 08-11-11, 06:54 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by debian
After re-reading my post I think it could sound like an attack. I just want to clarify that it was typed with a smile.
The Lexus LS is definitely a car that screams attorney, middle-management or accountant (ie upper middle class) The VIP style in Japan screams Yakusa.
Cheers,
Ian
curious, what does MB or BMW scream? maybe we don't want to scream at all
Old 08-11-11, 09:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by debian
Cheers,
Ian
VIP doesn't scream yakusa at all (i know this cuz i talked to a person or two who mentioned to me that they did not want to stand out at all ) it just says that you have extra income to put towards your car, and people who have extra income occasionally are folks who make easy money, and extra (easy) money can be a sign of someone who may be of interest to the tax man.

you have to also remember that in japan the workers almost always get 2 big bonus's a year, and these bonus can range from 1 to 2 (sometimes more) entire months of pay, on the spot. the summer bonus and winter bonus in japan are usually followed by a huge influx in expensive wheels, expensive handbags, expensive jewelry, nice vacations, body kits, cars, and air suspensions getting purchased.

we obviously don't get these types of bonus's although as an IT contractor for 3 winter's i did get around 2-3k a year as a bonus at that time.
Old 08-11-11, 04:31 PM
wcl77
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree. I drove a silver 430 for 5 great years. For no specific reason I traded it for an 08 460. While I enjoyed the additional power and the Levenson stereo I had buyers remose over the additonal $23,000. Yesterday, I was able to trade out of the 460 without a loss and purchased a 430 different color. Back to being satisfied!
Old 08-11-11, 04:54 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wcl77
I totally agree. I drove a silver 430 for 5 great years. For no specific reason I traded it for an 08 460. While I enjoyed the additional power and the Levenson stereo I had buyers remose over the additonal $23,000. Yesterday, I was able to trade out of the 460 without a loss and purchased a 430 different color. Back to being satisfied!
Welcome back!
Old 08-11-11, 05:04 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wcl77
how? traded it back to a Lexus dealer?
Old 08-11-11, 05:54 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Just picking some info up for a limo company I am starting.

Was wondering about the rear leg room, in an ls430 year '05 ?

Say if one is coming from a trip and has a limo service waiting at the airport, you would want to have a vehicle with ample rear leg room.

I am debating against a lincoln town car, lexus es350, and ;05+ Toyota Avalon.

Some advice would be really appreciated.
Old 08-11-11, 06:02 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lincoln TC. Looks more executive. Post it on your thread.
Old 08-11-11, 06:13 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Lincoln TC. Looks more executive. Post it on your thread.
Good idea
Old 08-11-11, 08:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
curious, what does MB or BMW scream? maybe we don't want to scream at all
I bought the LS430 because it was a great car and it was not flashy. I know some folks on the board really work to make their cars unique and very noticeable - that's cool if you are into it but I am at the opposite end of that spectrum. Different strokes...etc.

Attempting to be stealth in an LS430 works in the relatively affluent DFW area but in other areas of the country the LS stands out like a sore thumb. I actually think the LS460 maybe a better stealth luxury car because it looks so much like a slightly bloated Camry.

As time goes on I am realizing that the LS430's style and elegance is pretty obvious and people do notice. I do have a no emblem grill that helps a little.

If I had an LS460 I think I could swap in some Camry and Toyota emblems and be good to go for stealth mode.
Old 08-12-11, 04:51 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I bought the LS430 because it was a great car and it was not flashy. I know some folks on the board really work to make their cars unique and very noticeable - that's cool if you are into it but I am at the opposite end of that spectrum. Different strokes...etc.

Attempting to be stealth in an LS430 works in the relatively affluent DFW area but in other areas of the country the LS stands out like a sore thumb. I actually think the LS460 maybe a better stealth luxury car because it looks so much like a slightly bloated Camry.

As time goes on I am realizing that the LS430's style and elegance is pretty obvious and people do notice. I do have a no emblem grill that helps a little.

If I had an LS460 I think I could swap in some Camry and Toyota emblems and be good to go for stealth mode.
It is a stealth as you want to make it, but it is still emblem worthy
Old 08-12-11, 05:07 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

if you debadged the rear i would give you lots and lots of props, but the grill is a start. in my area of annapolis md a stock ls430 fits in like a civic or a corolla in FL.
Old 08-12-11, 06:09 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

not to get off topic but does anyone have a photo of their ls with the no front emblem ebay grill?

EDIT: is this it?

Name:  IR002.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  118.8 KB

Last edited by froboy272; 08-12-11 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: LS 430 the best car ever made