Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Which winter / snow tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 08:55 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Stu: Just for clarification, are you referring to the original X-Ice or the X-Ice Xi2? My understanding is that the X-Ice Xi2 is a big improvement over the original X-Ice.
Old 10-20-10, 09:04 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Stu: Just for clarification, are you referring to the original X-Ice or the X-Ice Xi2? My understanding is that the X-Ice Xi2 is a big improvement over the original X-Ice.
they were the older, original X Ice. They hyped up that original X Ice tire, and it was nothing that special.

The X-Ice Xi2 *may* end up being better... I hope its not worse !
Old 10-21-10, 03:45 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As I mentioned earlier, I had a set of Xi2s (and about 300 lbs. of tubed sand in the bed) on my RWD Dakota last winter and the truck was more predictable and stable than my AWD MKZ.
Old 10-21-10, 10:04 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there isn't really a 'one size fits all' solution to winter tires.

It may have a lot to do with your driving style and what roads you will be driving on.

I have always driven our Odyssey minivan which is FWD without Tracs /or VSC in the worst weather here in Toronto using just all season Michelin primacy mxv .

What I mean to say here is some of us may benefit from a winter driving course...or ... just a little more caution while driving in inclement winter weather.. I would emphasize the latter...the former was a joke.
Old 11-19-10, 12:30 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the H rated Dunlop WinterSport 3D's installed on my spare rims and put on the car today. You can feel the difference over my Michelin primacy's, but they ride very well for snow tires. Almost as quiet as the primacy's - but with some serious tread that should be helpful as winter approaches.
Old 11-20-10, 06:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Due to a forecast of possible snow flurries and our upcoming Thanksgiving trip to central Iowa, I installed my new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires and winter wheels three days ago on my 2000 LS400 -- size 225/60-16 which was standard on the LS400/430 from 1993 through 2002. Most new tires are quiet when new and these seem as quiet and ride as nicely as the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires I purchased last Spring and noticeably quieter than the worn out Blizzak WS50's I used the previous seven winters.

I think I can already tell that the WS70 is not going to feel quite as secure on dry roads as the WS50's. The odd aspect is that the steering response with the WS70 seems especially sharp - even more than the MXV4's - and not in a reassuring way. It feels like I could more easily induce oversteer, kick the back end out, and get VSC to intervene. I might try to explore the adhesion limits of the WS70 this weekend if I can find a large empty parking - I like to know how far I can safely push tires.

I am also noticing a little more speedometer error based on comparison with the speed shown on my GPS. The diameter of the WS70 in this size is apparently a little low.

I suspect these issues, other than the speedometer accuracy, will subside some as the WS70's get a little wear on them. And each year it takes a while to get my brain into "winter mode" and stop driving as hard. Anyway, I didn't buy the WS70's for their dry road performance attributes - I'm more interested in ultimate snow performance.
Old 11-20-10, 08:41 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-tires (November 2010 update):

The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 wins our title for best winter tire in America for its third straight year. It aces top tire tests in the U.S. and Canada, and even hard-to-please Scandinavian testers like this tire. It clings tenaciously to snow and ice, while driving more quietly and offering less rolling resistance (and therefore better gas mileage) than other winter tires. However, the Michelin Xi2 is more expensive than the competent General Altimax Arctic (*Est. $75), and it can't handle wet and dry roads as confidently as the performance-oriented Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (*Est. $135).
Old 11-20-10, 09:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

We have possible snow in the forecast for Thanksgiving and I'll be driving 250 miles that day. I'm hoping to try out the Xi-2 tires.
Old 11-20-10, 09:11 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran Xi2's for the last two seasons on my 98 LS400 and was very impressed. From what I understand, the old Xi were inferior to the new Xi2 design. I just purchased a new set of Xi2's for my '02 LS430 and will install them when the snow flies (probably mid-Dec).
Old 12-13-10, 05:58 AM
tkbalt
Driver

yesterday was my first experience with the Dunlop Wintersport 3d's in the snow. In fact first time I have driven in snow with the LS, so I cannot really comment on the comparison between my summer Primacy's) and the Wintersport's. All I can say is if the Wintersports are better - I would not drive on the Primacy's. Even with "snow" enabled, the rear wants to get out from under the car pretty easily. I took the LS out to an empty parking lot to get some experience - not sure I am liking this. The ES 300 I had was MUCH better in the snow.
Old 12-14-10, 09:10 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

well I think I win the "prize" for puttting on the cheapest snow tires on an LS.
Firestone Winterforce. These came with the car on 17 inch wheels, and have lots of tread so I figured I would give them a try. You know you have an inexpensive tire when the manufacturer doesnt put their name on the sidewall.

They are noisy on very cold dry roads, but if they keep me from getting stuck in the deep stuff, I'll be happy.

I drive the speed limit ( slowly ) all the time anyway, especially when the roads are snow covered, so this tire just may be OK for me.
Old 12-15-10, 01:32 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have run the Blizzaks on my Acura Legend for years. Had great luck with them. Ran the WS-50 and 60s.

Now I have a 2005 LS with stock 18" wheels.
I would like to run Blizzaks on these wheels. I am open to changing the tire size in order to run a "better version" of the Blizzaks.
I have no experience with the LMs.

What tire and size to you guys suggest for some bad New England Winters?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 12-15-10, 06:40 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

As I've mentioned, I'm running a set of 01 silver painted 17" wheels with Michelin Xice2. I haven't run the LS on any real snow yet as the Subie has been pressed into daily driver service.

One forum has had a discussion about whether running larger or more open wheels contributes to snow and ice buildup on the inside of wheels causing vibration.
Old 12-18-10, 05:21 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Winter tire needs

I have used winter tires in the midwest on RWD, FWD, and AWD cars--both with and without ABS and stability control. Seldom has ground clearance been an issue. If the snow is that deep, the roads are impassable with stranded cars.

Three aspects of winter tires are noticeable in my driving: dry road handling and noise, deep snow traction, and black ice traction. Each generation of the
Blizzak series has given excellent ice traction, good snow performance, and steadily improving dry road handling/noise. Because ice is my greatest potential problem, I continue to prefer the Blizzak series when buying winter rubber.

To review the Dunlap Winter D3, the Blizzak application was back-ordered in my first winter with my LS430 (2004). I have used the Dunlap for seven seasons. Tread wear is non-existent, road noise is slightly higher than the Serenity tires, and snow traction is significantly improved. The problem is with ice. This tire has no advantage over the Serenity all-season tire. Every generation of Blizzak has a major advantage over this tire on ice. For those who like to travel to Florida for a winter getaway and keep your winter tires on for the trip, this tire is for you. For my specific needs, I would purchase the latest version of Blizzaks or consider the improved Michelin Ice2.
Old 09-12-14, 05:50 PM
cyberbuff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkbalt
I am looking for some advice on winter tread. We live in Central Indiana and drive mostly on plowed roads. Certainly some deeper snow driving, but most of the streets have been plowed. Many remain snow packed and or icey. Mix of city / interstate driving, so need something that handles at speed. Current tread on the LS is Primacy MXV4.

Last winter I was fortunate to have been able to park the LS and drive another car - not so this year. I purchased a set of used OEM rims this weekend - need to start thinking tire choice. I have looked at the Tire Rack reviews and am considering the Dunlop Wintersport 3D, Michelin Alpin PA3, or Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. All seem to be a viable compromise between performance and winter driving.

I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
Bridgestone Blizzaks have provn to be best 4 me....I am currently selling a set of 4 LM 60s, which are for a 2009 LS 460....these are mounted & balanced on a Beautiful set of Bremer Alloys, have 600 Miles on them and are ready to go!
Asking $650 for the $1400+ set...

Bob

Quick Reply: Which winter / snow tire?