Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Which winter / snow tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 12:51 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/55/17 with 4 aftermarket alloy rims last November, used them until the snow ended in April or so. I think they work great for Ottawa winters (-12 to -30C, mostly snow+slush) and I have seen nothing but good reviews online. To be fair, I haven't used any other winter tires with this car.

If you're in an area that gets a lot of ice and the roads don't get coated with salt, gravel, or sand fast enough or often enough, you may want to get studded tires. From experience, I know the X-Ice Xi2s will not help you much when going downhill on black ice, but I'm pretty sure no other non-studded tire could do any better.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 10-12-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 03:35 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
I don't know why the Dunlops weren't reviewed by TireRack? ...
I noticed that about Nokian, too. (Subie owners seem to be rather rabid about Nokians.) I think TireRack doesn't review tires they don't sell.
Old 10-13-10, 08:17 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if it doesn't snow this year..lol..? Global warming is taking a toll.

I have a money saving very eco friendly suggestion.

We all park our Lexuss in the garage and just walk,bicycle,and ...

Wow I just became so unpopular
Old 10-13-10, 02:37 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Crickets, I believe I hear crickets.
Old 10-13-10, 03:04 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
What if it doesn't snow this year..lol..? Global warming is taking a toll.

I have a money saving very eco friendly suggestion.

We all park our Lexuss in the garage and just walk,bicycle,and ...

Wow I just became so unpopular
I just checked and tire rack doesn't sell Michelin Xice Xi2's for ten speeds...
Old 10-13-10, 04:44 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I just run primacy's to like 6 32 or so and change em out if I need to come winter. I would never give up RWD. With stab trac & trac control I have no problems even with monthly trips to the snow belt in Mich. I mean the roads are probably bad a dozen times a year in Wisconsin. Otherwise I slow down be smart and save the headache, expense and noise of revolving tires. I used to live where we got 400-700 inches a year and then I needed to worry about tires. I have a nice easy driveway and no hills so it is easy. I do drive the windswept roads of Hwy 41 and have black ice but I cannot run studded tires in my state nor would I want to. I am glad you all benefit from snows.

Do MPG's go down with snows? JMO
Old 10-14-10, 06:06 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like most have been happy with the Michelin Snow's. The Dunlop Wintersport D3's have an H rating vs the T rating on the Michelins. Anybody with experience with the WinterSport D3?

Also - does anybody store their Wheels / Tires at the Dealer? They offer this at my dealer (if you buy tires from them).
Old 10-14-10, 06:36 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by tkbalt
... Also - does anybody store their Wheels / Tires at the Dealer? They offer this at my dealer (if you buy tires from them).
That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to ask my tire dealer. It certainly beats transporting the tires / wheels in the car twice a year and lugging them up and down the basement steps.
Old 10-15-10, 12:08 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm practically posting from the dead.. but I can attest to the Joy of an LS with blizzaks.

Drove my 94 LS400 with WS60s (before it was totalled) and in the snow it was a BLAST. It felt like a TANK. Going up insanley steep grades that were completely frozen over in a giant RWD boat? No problem.

They are quite squirmy on dry pavement, and a little loud. My primary concern was saftey when getting up the mountain for skiing though.

If you're concerned with saftey and want the best abo****e grip. Get the WS70/WS60, it's a no brainer.

If you're OK with some traction compromise for some performance benefits.. go with the X-Ice or the Blizzak LMs.

Originally Posted by Kansas
The Blizzak WS70 was introduced just this summer and replaced the WS60 in the majority of passenger car sizes. It is a substantial redesign from the WS60 and doesn't really have a track record.

The Blizzak WS70 and the Michelin X-ice Xi2 have a visually identical tread design -- it's almost eerie to see them side by side. The WS70 with its wider lateral tread channels is a bit more aimed at snow performance and has a slightly higher noise level on dry pavement. The X-ice Xi2 with it's narrower lateral tread channels is a bit more aimed at dry weather performance and has a slightly lower noise level and sharper handling.

There are at least two different Blizzak series for passenger cars. The Blizzak WS series is the heavy duty winter tire and the Blizzak LM series is a performance oriented winter tire.

Any of the higher rated winter tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol should be fine. I recently bought a set of Blizzak WS70 tires mainly because I squeezed seven winters and 25,000 miles out of a set of Blizzak WS50 tires which were the most incredible winter tires I've ever driven on.

Equipped with proper winter tires, a 98-up LS with VSC and "snow mode" is an absolute joy to drive in snow.
Old 10-18-10, 08:03 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

An article reviewing the Continental EWC tires came out 4 days ago at CanadianDriver - http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/1...tercontact.htm

The author writes that "After driving the entire 2009/2010 winter season on these tires, I can comfortably put them right up alongside the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi (reviewed in 2006) as the best winter tires I’ve tried to date. And that speaks volumes, considering that the previous two seasons saw Michelin X-Ice Xi-2 and Bridgestone Blizzak WS60s mounted on my car."
Old 10-19-10, 11:06 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much he gets paid to promote these tires....just joking!!!!

A great review Stan! Thanks for sharing

My Ls is possibly going to be getting these boots!

Last edited by lexuslspro; 10-19-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 04:51 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. I am going to try the Dunlop Wintersport 3D.
Old 10-20-10, 04:21 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I live in Toronto, and we can have very cold and snowy winters. I had Michelin X Ice tires on my front wheel drive Acura Legend, and they were great for the first two winters. The third winter they had 7/32 of tread remaining and they were noisy, and had extremely poor traction - I felt they were unsafe ! I bought new snows. I wouldn't buy Michelin X Ice again, especially for a rear wheel drive car.
Old 10-20-10, 04:37 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
I live in Toronto, and we can have very cold and snowy winters. I had Michelin X Ice tires on my front wheel drive Acura Legend, and they were great for the first two winters. The third winter they had 7/32 of tread remaining and they were noisy, and had extremely poor traction - I felt they were unsafe ! I bought new snows. I wouldn't buy Michelin X Ice again, especially for a rear wheel drive car.
Stu,

Do you remember how many miles you put on the X Ice before discarding them?

What did you repalce the X Ice with? How did the replacements work out?

I have four new X Ice sitting in my garage, ready to be mounted on a second set of 18" stock rims...

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-20-10, 05:21 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Stu,

Do you remember how many miles you put on the X Ice before discarding them?

What did you repalce the X Ice with? How did the replacements work out?

I have four new X Ice sitting in my garage, ready to be mounted on a second set of 18" stock rims...

Thanks,

Jim
Jim, I would estimate I put about 20,000 kms ( 12,000 miles ) in the two winters I ran them. I am very meticulous with my tire pressures and they were not driven hard at all, and only when the temperature was below freezing. When I took them off, they looked new, even the little "hairs" on all the sidewalls were still there.

The X Ice were great performing tires on cold, snow free roads, but I just didn't feel they had the traction I needed when there was any snow on the road. My antilock braking system kept activating almost every time I came to a stop sign - very annoying. The last straw came when I rounded a corner SLOWLY, with my kids in the car with me, in front of a school and almost drifted into the curb - they got removed the next day.

I replaced them with Hankook IPikes - and loved them. I tested them driving in just 3 winter storms last winter. They were excellent and never slipped once. Inexpensive compared to the Michelin, and highly rated too.

Quick Reply: Which winter / snow tire?