LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Transmission Fluid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 09:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Jim - Do you recall what was the dealer's total charge for changing the tranny fluid?
Old 10-07-10, 10:48 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it was around $170 or so.
Old 10-07-10, 10:53 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, one last question and response from Blackstone:

Question:
I got the TAN report and it showed an acid level of 1.9. Is this only
mildly high and nothing to worry about? Not sure if the Toyota/Lexus WS
tranny fluid starts out with a TAN of "0" when virgin, but when doing
some Internet research on TAN levels, I was seeing TAN levels
much higher than this (3.6) on BMW tranny fluid with less miles.

Blackstone Response:
The TAN doesn't always start out at 0.0 and most virgin ATF's we see start at 1.0 or so, so your reading isn't really that bad.
Chances are the BMW fluid that you saw started out with a higher TAN to begin with.
Old 10-08-10, 07:29 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Jim - Do you recall what was the dealer's total charge for changing the tranny fluid?
My dealer lets me bring my own parts in, so I buy the WS at the Toyota dealer for around $6/qt and have Lexus do the labor (they are cheaper than Toyota). I paid 1 hour in labor + the misc charges cleanup/shop fees they tack on. I think it was around $135-140 plus tax.

They also fixed the creak between the center console wood cover plate and shifter bezel plate...now, no vibration on the left side of the bezel, and no noise! Although that is not covered by the CPO warranty, they didn't charge me anything for it!
Old 10-08-10, 07:50 AM
jmscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an aside, my wife also drives a LX470 with 170,000 miles (2000). When I had the timing belt and water pump changed out at roughly 145,000 miles, I asked my guy "so I'm good for another 100,000 miles, right?". He said "yeah, you MIGHT consider a transmission fluid flush too". Didn't seem to be a big deal at that time to him. They do the live exchange with the pump.
Old 10-08-10, 01:37 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmscott
As an aside, my wife also drives a LX470 with 170,000 miles (2000). When I had the timing belt and water pump changed out at roughly 145,000 miles, I asked my guy "so I'm good for another 100,000 miles, right?". He said "yeah, you MIGHT consider a transmission fluid flush too". Didn't seem to be a big deal at that time to him. They do the live exchange with the pump.
Off topic but have to say I gotcha' beat... My friend's step-dad has a 2004 LX470 with 290k... Yes that is 290,000 miles. I have to imagine it is the highest mileage one in the country purchased new, and in mint condition. I believe he did trans services at regular intervals. He's a doctor and travels the country with his kids in it, to Florida and Canada and back etc.

I have actually tried to acquire that truck a few times but no one is making anything that he remotely likes anymore, so he just keeps on driving it til the wheels fall off.
Old 10-08-10, 03:01 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

So based on all the info from Blackstone, which probably raised as many questions as it answered, call me crazy, but here's how I plan to handle my transmission and differential fluid changes:

I'll be doing a fluid change on the transmission and differential every 30k miles. I drive about 15k miles a year, so the cost to do this is about $100 a year ($200 per exchange). It takes more effort / cycles to try and decipher when it really needs to be changed as opposed to just doing it, and I did see an improvement with the smoothness / quickness of the shifting, which I'd like to maintain. Since you don't get all the oil out every time you do an exchange, a 30k mile interval will help to maintain the viscosity of the fluid, and keep the level of contaminants under control as the components continue to wear.

Jim

Last edited by JimsGX; 10-08-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 03:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
So based on all the info from Blackstone, which probably raised as many questions as it answered, call me crazy, but here's how I plan to handle my transmission and differential fluid changes:

I'll be doing a fluid change on the transmission and differential every 30k miles. I drive about 15k miles a year, so the cost to do this is about $100 a year ($200 per exchange). It takes more effort / cycles to try and decipher when it really needs to be changed as opposed to just doing it, and I did see an improvement with the smoothness / quickness of the shifting, which I'd like to maintain. Since you don't get all the oil out every time you do an exchange, a 30k mile interval will help to maintain the viscosity of the fluid, and keep the level of contaminants under control as the components continue to wear.

Jim
Sounds like a pretty smart plan to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-10, 06:19 PM
jmscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, off topic, but happy to see someone else has a truck with miles I'm planning on running up. I think I'm definitely convinced to do the tx flushes at least every 100k from here on out!

And will also look at the LS prior to 100K...
Old 10-10-10, 01:38 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP how did you get the fluid out? Did you get it changed and took a sample of it?
Old 10-10-10, 04:24 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
OP how did you get the fluid out? Did you get it changed and took a sample of it?
Yes, brought the Blackstone sample bottle to the dealer. They took the sample when they changed the fluid.
Old 10-10-10, 04:36 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Yes, brought the Blackstone sample bottle to the dealer. They took the sample when they changed the fluid.
Hopefully the mechanic doesn't think it's cute to give you someone else's fluid.
Old 10-10-10, 04:40 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty friendly with the mechanic that worked on it so I think it's highly unlikely.
Old 10-15-10, 04:51 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ damn you found a lexus dealer to actually change out the fluid? All the dealers near me wont touch it lol....

My dealer gets all moody if I bring a container for the oil, like why are you testing it blah blah..
Old 10-15-10, 08:17 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
^ damn you found a lexus dealer to actually change out the fluid? All the dealers near me wont touch it lol.... ..
don't worry, you'll get new fluid from them after they replace your transmission

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Fluid Thread