LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cleaned the TB and MAF...One man's observation, as well as a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 10:13 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cleaned the TB and MAF...One man's observation, as well as a few questions.

So I cleaned both the TB and MAF using the respective CRC branded chemicals. I Disconnected the negative lead on the battery and got to work. You can find out how to do this elsewhere on the forum.

Everything went smoothly. 20 min job. I did not spray directly into the TB, only on the MF towel I sacrificed for the job. I sprayed the MAF with the proper cleaner and I must say that mine was dirty. It went from a light brown color to a stunning clean stainless steel color. It obviously was better off after the cleaning. As you can see from the picture below, the TBwas dirty- but not filthy. This is 52K worth from what I know. ( I am the second owner)

Observations:

Everything was put back together and I started the car. Upon start, the NAV screen said to keep the power on, as it was starting up. After letting it idle for about 10 min, I took it for a drive on the highway, but really could not give it any real gas due to the bad weather right now and the crappy Dunlops on the car. I really did not notice much of a difference, I was hoping for a little something, but the car acted pretty much the same as before. I did not exprience any high idle like some. Fine by me.

Oddities:

Even though I removed the battery for about 20 min, I did not loose my radio station presets, this would leave me to believe that the car did not fully reset itself and is not going into the "Learning Mode" Nevertheless, I will tell you this. Before I disconnected the battery, my car said I had 91 miles to empty, after the cleaning, upon startup, the same screen said 113 miles to empty! Hmmm- do you think the car reset itself after all? Why no radio preset loss if so?

Next, it could be my OCD kicking in, but obviously after doing this procedure, I sat in the car with the radio off and just listened..... I should have done this before the procedure as will to make a more complete hypothesis, but I simply forgot to. I heard the usual engine noise, as obviously these cars are quiet, but not silent. I also heard a very slight movement of air noise. I thought to myself, I must have screwed something up and now have a leak of some sort, so I double checked both sides of the air intake to make sure that it was seated properly and tightened well enough. MAF was plugged in correctly, air box was fastened down....etc. My car, much more likely than not, had this slight sound of air moving behind the dash, and it's just me being paranoid. It is not an alarming noise at all, just now noticing it because I was looking for things to hear. My car, does have the AC compressor swishing noise as someone else here had posted a video about, but this is different noise all together and is alwasy there, AC on or not.

If the car is in fact is in it's mode to relearn A/F ratio, how long does it take to complete the process? I did a 20 mile drive right after so the car would have a chance to do it's thing if it needed to. The car felt great! But it did feel great even before. Still I feel good about completing this simple task. What do you guys think?

I will be switching the car to amsoil with 5-7k intervals before the cold weather comes. I am also in the middle of a turkey baster PS flush. This car really does not look like it's that difficult for the average DIY'er to work on, at least the simple preventative maintenance stuff.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Cleaned the TB and MAF...One man's observation, as well as a few questions.-lexus-003.jpg  

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 09-27-10 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 10:38 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
slight sound of air moving behind the dash
are your vented seats on?
Old 09-27-10, 10:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

nope- i checked. good call though!