LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 Sunroof has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 06:37 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Sunroof has a mind of it's own!

Driving down I4 a couple nights ago and the sunroof decides to open itself (only happened once) the next day I'm making the drive across 75 and it opened about 4/5 times. What the hell is going on?! Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
Old 09-25-10, 07:13 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It works the same way the pollution sensor does on the HVAC system. While the pollution sensor detects external pollution, this system detects interior, um, emissions and ventilates the cabin via the sunroof.
Old 09-25-10, 08:09 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
It works the same way the pollution sensor does on the HVAC system. While the pollution sensor detects external pollution, this system detects interior, um, emissions and ventilates the cabin via the sunroof.
This made me
Old 09-25-10, 12:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Caddy that was pretty creative and funny.

Back to the question on auto sunroof this is the first I have heard of that on any car. First thing to always ask is "what changed about the time when this started happening?" Any mods or repairs to the car of any kind before or when this started happening?

With mechanical things there is always a root cause change that started the observed behavior/symptom change in any system. Sounds most like a electrical short in wiring, or malfunction in switch controlling sunroof, or wiring at the motor controlling sunroof.
Old 09-25-10, 01:04 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's very un-Lexus like.
Old 09-25-10, 01:51 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I would start with the switch.
Old 09-26-10, 08:22 AM
94LSon20
Driver

No mods, nothing at all. I tilted the sunroof a few times and it seemed to have fixed the problem (for now). It hasn't opened since
Old 09-26-10, 09:05 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I think Beano fixes the problem.
Old 01-08-11, 07:09 PM
tomherbst
Driver School Candidate

Any followup on this? My wife's '01 430 had her sunroof open by itself this week. 3 times.
Old 01-09-11, 10:54 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Since I've posted this thread it's never done it again. Idk what the problem was
Old 01-10-11, 10:21 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the switch over time those do go bad especially is you live in a hot climate. I had to replace mine and that fixed my problem. It gets over 100 degrees where I work.
Old 01-10-11, 07:46 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
Check the switch over time those do go bad especially is you live in a hot climate. I had to replace mine and that fixed my problem. It gets over 100 degrees where I work.
Yeah, extreme heat is deadly on electronics. My front A/C blower lost electrical connection in 117F last summer. Had it not been for the cooled seats and rear blower in the Ultra, I would have fainted during the 30 min drive to the dealer!
Old 02-02-14, 09:58 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
I know this is a really old thread, but has anyone here actually replaced the sunroof open/closed switch by themselves? Do you have to replace the whole unit? Is this a big ticket item?
Old 02-15-17, 11:55 AM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey folks...Just thought this might be addition helpful in identifying a possible problem. I have an 03 LS430 (ML and Nav) ....Today, I got my Cassette adapter as well as the bluetooth for cigarette lighter so I can play through my phone, or micro sd card (bluetooth adapter has a slot for the micro SD if I didnt want to sync with the phone)..On a side note, .Both work great with our LS by the way. Not quite CD sound, but I think much better than the FM stations sound (at least for me)....still clear and loud at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume... I use spotify and I think the files are nice and clean and most songs are digitally remastered..Anyhow, back to my original thread... When I had the bluetooth adapter going and I was listening to a song, I pressed the "forward" arrow on my phone to advance to the next song,... !! my sunroof started to open !! (kind of freaked me out as I still had 6" of snow on the roof and if it fell in, I would have had a mess on my hands)..luckily the snow stay in place up there and I used the sunroof switch to close it. I double checked, and hit the forward arrow again to skip to next song and sure enough, it started to open again.....I turned off the car and came in to see if it was a problem anyone else had here. I searched and this thread came up. Before posting here, I did go back out and try to replicate the anomaly. Before testing, I opened and closed the roof a couple times. I then started playing music through the bluetooth. I hit the forward button on the phone, but no sunroof activity this time. But I am 100% absolutely positive that I was opening the sunroof by hitting the skip forward button on my cell phone. So their is something going on "wirelessly" here. If anyone has figured out exactly what is going on, I havent seen it in the threads, so I would love to hear back. Thanks
Old 02-15-17, 12:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

This thread puts a smile on my face. Although I don't have anything to contribute (sorry) I don't believe I have even tried to open my sunroof for many years. One thing is certain. I'm not going out to try it now!!!!! Good luck with your sunroof. Not much on these forums discussing failing LS430 sunroofs Like the rest of the car, I believe they are fairly reliable.

Quick Reply: 01 Sunroof has a mind of it's own!