Need advice about de-carboning the air intake service

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 04:00 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice about de-carboning the air intake service

All,
This is my second LS, my first was a 2002 LS400, wonderful car! Better seats, better stereo, quieter noise, more leather in the interior, 430 has a LOT of plastic, especially the arm rests, the LS 400 arm rests were much better! Not hard plastic. And lastly. the LS 400 would do 150 mph, the 430, I think is limited to 130, which again, is not a big deal, but it is something. Unfortunately, it also had issues, and when the power steering rack starting leaking, and I had just paid $3000.00 to do the timing belt, blown rear main gasket, and blown valve cover seal, I'd had enough!! The power steering leak was going to cost me $2000.00+ to fix, so I traded it in on a 2005 LS 430. The stereo is not the Mark Levenson, and is total crap. The seats "say" they cool, but I cannot feel a difference, maybe a slight breeze of cool air on my bum, but that's it, and that is after the $42.00 filter change (another post) for the seat, a total waste of money, no difference in cooling.

Anyway, I am now being told I need to have the air intake de-carbonized, and I worry, because I had it done on my LS 400 and after it was done, the car idle went way up (not a problem), but it idled rough, not glass smooth as before the service. Do you guys do this de-carbon the air intake service??? I DO NOT want my 430 to idle rough, and am thinking of NOT doing it. Any thoughts? Car runs fine and has 71,000 miles so far. Is it something you guys have done?

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 09-21-10, 05:03 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
All,
This is my second LS, my first was a 2002 LS400, wonderful car! Better seats, better stereo, quieter noise, more leather in the interior, 430 has a LOT of plastic, especially the arm rests, the LS 400 arm rests were much better! Not hard plastic. And lastly. the LS 400 would do 150 mph, the 430, I think is limited to 130, which again, is not a big deal, but it is something. Unfortunately, it also had issues, and when the power steering rack starting leaking, and I had just paid $3000.00 to do the timing belt, blown rear main gasket, and blown valve cover seal, I'd had enough!! The power steering leak was going to cost me $2000.00+ to fix, so I traded it in on a 2005 LS 430. The stereo is not the Mark Levenson, and is total crap. The seats "say" they cool, but I cannot feel a difference, maybe a slight breeze of cool air on my bum, but that's it, and that is after the $42.00 filter change (another post) for the seat, a total waste of money, no difference in cooling.

Anyway, I am now being told I need to have the air intake de-carbonized, and I worry, because I had it done on my LS 400 and after it was done, the car idle went way up (not a problem), but it idled rough, not glass smooth as before the service. Do you guys do this de-carbon the air intake service??? I DO NOT want my 430 to idle rough, and am thinking of NOT doing it. Any thoughts? Car runs fine and has 71,000 miles so far. Is it something you guys have done?

Thanks in advance,
David
David, do you mean a *2000* LS400? There is no such thing as a 2002 LS400. The LS430 that is essentially the same as what you have now came out in 2001 in the U.S. The last year for the LS400 was 2000, and I tend to agree, I liked my LS400 a lot more than my LS430. The little detail things you mentioned abound in the LS400 and were sadly taken away with the modernized LS430. Feature count increased, but little touches decreased (also as a function of selling different trim levels, with which they had to "cheapen" the lower trims).

Trust me, you are not missing much with the ML stereo. It is not regarded here in general, as much more than just a decent factory stereo. I had a 2002 with ML and my 2004 does not have it, I actually prefer some of the aspects of my 2004 believe it or not.

As far as the de-carboning situation, I think member Jim Chow has extensive experience doing this on a fairly frequent basis to the TB of his LX470 and his LS430. I believe it is important to do, but I don't remember how often.
Old 09-21-10, 05:13 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in cleaning the intake as well, but I do agree my 2000 LS400 had a MUCH better stereo and somewhat better seats.
Old 09-21-10, 06:03 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
David, do you mean a *2000* LS400? There is no such thing as a 2002 LS400. The LS430 that is essentially the same as what you have now came out in 2001 in the U.S. The last year for the LS400 was 2000, and I tend to agree, I liked my LS400 a lot more than my LS430. The little detail things you mentioned abound in the LS400 and were sadly taken away with the modernized LS430. Feature count increased, but little touches decreased (also as a function of selling different trim levels, with which they had to "cheapen" the lower trims).

Trust me, you are not missing much with the ML stereo. It is not regarded here in general, as much more than just a decent factory stereo. I had a 2002 with ML and my 2004 does not have it, I actually prefer some of the aspects of my 2004 believe it or not.

As far as the de-carboning situation, I think member Jim Chow has extensive experience doing this on a fairly frequent basis to the TB of his LX470 and his LS430. I believe it is important to do, but I don't remember how often.
Yes, sorry, a 2000 LS400. Would still be driving it if it did not start falling apart. 132,000 miles and multiple issues. The $2000.00 steering rack needing replacing was the last straw. Like I said, these Japanese cars seem dead reliable till about 100,000 miles, then they just seem to fall apart. Actually my 2005 LS430 needing it's 2'nd wheel bearing replaced soon (same wheel bearing replaced 18 months ago), AC system needing to be totally replaced at $6000.00 in parts, not including labor, at 40,000 miles under warranty, (thank god). And the arm rest falling apart, driver's seat constantly creaking, both fixed by Lexus under "good will", is not making me as happy as my BMW's. I think this will be my last Lexus, period. I just have lost confidence in the brand, no matter what they say about how carefully they are made. I really don't get it, I really don't. I expect/expected better.

David

Last edited by Atl; 09-21-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 07:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow - those are some serious issues/problems you are experiencing with your 2005 LS. Sorry you are having problems. Definitely sux.

Very interesting reading your perspective since you also had a LS400.

If my 06 LS starts to have similar problems like you are having with your 05, I would also be thinking seriously about hitting the "flush" button (for sure once the 3 year CPO warranty is done).
Old 09-21-10, 08:40 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I sold my '86 Toyota 4runner 4x4 truck last year w/ 215K mi on it; it was still running great! It was still on the original tranny/clutch, wheel bearings, and starter. The alternator brushes wore out after 21 years, and I replaced the timing chain at 16 yrs. Other than the alternator, it never let me down; all I had to do was change the fluids.

I've cleaned the TB flap on my LX twice. According to a Toyota tech I knew who started his own indep. business, he recommends cleaning the TB every 30K mi. I did my LX at 60K. There was noticeable carbon buildup around the flap. I just recently did it at 90K...only a tiny bit of buildup. If you go like 100K, there will be quite a bit of buildup, and if you go way longer, the flap will likely stick to the TB, triggering a "check engine" code. Assumming the TB on the LS is the same as on the LX (and I would believe so, as they are the same engine design with the LS400 having the 4L 1UZ-FE engine, LX having the 4.7L 2UZ-FE (same as the LS400 engine bored out to 4.7L w/ a longer stroke), and LS430's 3UZ engine), there is a sensor at 12 o'clock above the TB flap. You can gently depress the flap (engine off, of course, or you'll throw a code!) and scrub w/ a stainless brush w/ some carb cleaner on it if you have heavy buildup. If you have light buildup, put some carb cleaner on a cotton rag and swab around the flap except at 12 o'clock. NEVER spray carb cleaner directly into the TB or you'll ruin the sensor (you can only do this on the 1980's toyota trucks, as they didn't use the sensor). Reassemble the air intake/air cleaner box assembly.

PS: I have no idea what you're talking about regarding cheap plastic armrests in the LS430. Construction and features are absolutely top notch. Everything in mine is covered with leather or trimmed in wood, even the dash and glove box and rear seat controls.
Old 09-21-10, 09:07 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I sold my '86 Toyota 4runner 4x4 truck last year w/ 215K mi on it; it was still running great! It was still on the original tranny/clutch, wheel bearings, and starter. The alternator brushes wore out after 21 years, and I replaced the timing chain at 16 yrs. Other than the alternator, it never let me down; all I had to do was change the fluids.

I've cleaned the TB flap on my LX twice. According to a Toyota tech I knew who started his own indep. business, he recommends cleaning the TB every 30K mi. I did my LX at 60K. There was noticeable carbon buildup around the flap. I just recently did it at 90K...only a tiny bit of buildup. If you go like 100K, there will be quite a bit of buildup, and if you go way longer, the flap will likely stick to the TB, triggering a "check engine" code. Assumming the TB on the LS is the same as on the LX (and I would believe so, as they are the same engine design with the LS400 having the 4L 1UZ-FE engine, LX having the 4.7L 2UZ-FE (same as the LS400 engine bored out to 4.7L w/ a longer stroke), and LS430's 3UZ engine), there is a sensor at 12 o'clock above the TB flap. You can gently depress the flap (engine off, of course, or you'll throw a code!) and scrub w/ a stainless brush w/ some carb cleaner on it if you have heavy buildup. If you have light buildup, put some carb cleaner on a cotton rag and swab around the flap except at 12 o'clock. NEVER spray carb cleaner directly into the TB or you'll ruin the sensor (you can only do this on the 1980's toyota trucks, as they didn't use the sensor). Reassemble the air intake/air cleaner box assembly.

PS: I have no idea what you're talking about regarding cheap plastic armrests in the LS430. Construction and features are absolutely top notch. Everything in mine is covered with leather or trimmed in wood, even the dash and glove box and rear seat controls.
Dash and glove box are plastic, not leather. Referring to armrests, the armrest that you rest your arm on, with the cut out to close the door, and includes the wood with the window switches, all plastic. The vertical sides of the door above, and ending at the start of the armrests is leather, where the chrome door opener latch is located. The LS 400 had soft, padded armrests, the 430 is semi-hard plastic like the dash and glove box. I have never seen a 430 with a leather dash or glove box. Did someone apply leather after-market to your car's interior? The new V-8 Hyundai Genesis has an option to have a leather dash, the V-6 Genesis does not.
Old 09-21-10, 09:49 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have leather and wood just about everywhere too. You must have the base trim level.
Old 09-22-10, 03:19 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
Dash and glove box are plastic, not leather. Referring to armrests, the armrest that you rest your arm on, with the cut out to close the door, and includes the wood with the window switches, all plastic. The vertical sides of the door above, and ending at the start of the armrests is leather, where the chrome door opener latch is located. The LS 400 had soft, padded armrests, the 430 is semi-hard plastic like the dash and glove box. I have never seen a 430 with a leather dash or glove box. Did someone apply leather after-market to your car's interior? The new V-8 Hyundai Genesis has an option to have a leather dash, the V-6 Genesis does not.
My 04 UL has leather everywhere in the interior except the dash and the door trim above the wood. The headliner is alcantra, an artificial suede.
Old 09-22-10, 06:58 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
I have leather and wood just about everywhere too. You must have the base trim level.
I guess, oh well, it drives nice, and is comfortable. Now if it will just not break, I will be happy. But the next time it's gonna be an Audi or a BMW.
Old 09-22-10, 07:21 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because Audi's and BMW's never break?

If the car is running fine and you don't feel good about doing the service, leave it alone. But it's not unreasonable to assume a 6 yr/old with 71,000 miles is going to need a little work.
Old 09-23-10, 07:49 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

It's easy to clean/decarbonize the throttle body/air intake yourself. I wrote about my experience here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-cleaning.html