LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Differential Fluid Recommendations and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 02:38 PM
Michael430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

abs
Actually my street slopes just perfectly so that all I had to do was back the rear of the Lexus up on some car ramps. It sat level with room to work underneath. Their are two issues. First: Having enough room for the breaker bar to swing to break the drain and fill plugs loose. They were on super tight. Fortunately I was able to move them and took them off with a half inch ratchet without pulling out the impact gun. Second: The fill hole is so close to the bottom of the car that I needed a small hand transfer pump to pump the fluid into the filler hole. I had a pump, but if you didn't, one can be purchased for under $10.00. So as stated, start to finish it took about 15 minutes. If I would had to have jacked up the car front and rear to level, then secured on jack stands, it would have taken a bit longer.
Michael
Old 09-23-10, 04:30 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
I have two sample kits on order from Blackstone Labs too - guess what fluids they are for?
Andrew,

Do you plan on having them give you a TBN (measures the amount of active additive left in the oil)? For an additional $10 per test? I'm having them do it on the tranny fluid.

Jim
Old 09-24-10, 05:01 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Andrew,

Do you plan on having them give you a TBN (measures the amount of active additive left in the oil)? For an additional $10 per test? I'm having them do it on the tranny fluid.

Jim
Yes, I think so. Once I'm doing it might as well get the TBN too.

Andrew
Old 09-24-10, 03:10 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just replaced my differential fluid today. The dealer checked the service history this morning and claimed I still had the FF (factory fill) at 42k miles. The old stuff came out quite DARK, not black but a far cry from the clear light amber Mobil1 I put in place of it. I saved about 1/2 quart in a clean bottle so I would have a good sample to send off to Blackstone. Also, to get the car level, I backed the car up onto a pair of ramps and then used my jack and jack stands to adjust the front height using a level under the doors on each side of the car. Seemed to work well. Also, when I pulled the fill plug, it wasn't even oily, I suspect the FF was a little low the whole time.

It is going to be tough for me to report any specific driving impressions from the change because today I also changed over to synthetic in the engine (Pennzoil Ultra) and had my new Continental DW tires installed this morning (about 4lbs lighter per corner than the Goodyear RSA they replaced 24 vs. 28). I think my fuel economy should improve from all 3 changes . . .

Andrew
Old 10-25-11, 05:56 AM
weizs13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimsGX did you get any results from the trans fluid samples , I have a 2004 ls430 that has 104k that im interested in changing the trans and diff fluid out of soon
Old 10-25-11, 06:44 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by weizs13
JimsGX did you get any results from the trans fluid samples , I have a 2004 ls430 that has 104k that im interested in changing the trans and diff fluid out of soon
The transmission fluid oil analysis of my 05 LS430 is attached to post # 28 in this discussion thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...id-thread.html
Old 10-25-11, 08:05 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The transmission fluid oil analysis of my 05 LS430 is attached to post # 28 in this discussion thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...id-thread.html
Jim,

thanks for the info on the Tranny - Im glad it was revived - my 05' is hitting 75k and I was questioning the original intent the other day about the "sealed" transmission. I will be sure and get the fluid changed after reading all your postings including the rear differential.

I love this Forum!
Old 10-25-11, 08:52 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm scheduled for my 60K service on Thursday and plan to ask for a trans fluid change. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-25-11, 09:20 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm scheduled for my 60K service on Thursday and plan to ask for a trans fluid change. We'll see how it goes.
awesome! looking foward to your posts.
Old 10-25-11, 04:16 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have not done the tranny fluid exchange yet. I also want to do the diff fluid as well. just havent gotten around to it. What exactly does Diff fluid do? I really don't know. Is it detrimental to the functioning of the car if it's old? Are there any performance gains from diff fluid being changed? Or is it just maintenance?
Old 10-27-11, 06:33 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Update on my 60K service & tranny fluid: my service advisor recommends 100K for the LS430. At least he didn't say never. Unless I encounter an issue, I'll target 100K - or maybe move it up to the 90K service.

They said the 7 year old battery was marginal and I had them replace it.
Old 10-28-11, 07:28 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Update on my 60K service & tranny fluid: my service advisor recommends 100K for the LS430. At least he didn't say never. Unless I encounter an issue, I'll target 100K - or maybe move it up to the 90K service.

They said the 7 year old battery was marginal and I had them replace it.
thanks for the update im thinking also at 90k - get it all done in one shot. I can do the TB myself but im sure too take it to the dealer for the tranny fluid change since everything is "sealed" and they have the proper tools to flush and fill.
Old 04-09-12, 02:10 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got done with this on a 70,000 mile LS430.
Went with Valvoline Synthetic 75-90. Was a tad dismayed to find what appears to be long wood like splintered fragments. No idea what that could be?

Easy task with a pump. I would like to know the proper part # for the crush ring?

Lots of crap on the magnet portion of the plug as well so I am quite concerned. This fluid was supposed to have been changed once before in it's 70K history.

Last edited by damon; 04-09-12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 03:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I use Amsoil. Change once and never again.
Old 04-11-12, 02:14 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So I bagged up the debris I found in a ziploc with a Scott Towel.
As I look again with less oil on them they appear to be Christmas Tree Needles? Is there a vent & where is it located?

There also seemed to be some water present.
Never would have gotten these needles out of the diff without using the hand pump. They actually clogged the pump!

Last edited by damon; 04-11-12 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid Recommendations and Questions