LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 06:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--

Hey guys I m ussually on the sc400 forum as I have a 93 sc400

I wanted to ask you guys what -if any-are the downfalls or problems that I may come across if I purchase an ls430.

It has to be my favourite car on the road--luxurious-classy-just beautiful, but im wondering what sort of problems if any should I expect.

The ls400's last forever and are built like tanks I can only assume the ls430 is even better--am i wrong---yes --no

If the ls400's can go 300 000 - 400 000 kilometres or more what can these ls430's do.

I would most lilkely be purchansing a older one 2001 -2002 maybe a 2003 if im lucky.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 09-10-10, 08:46 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do plenty of reading here, find some cars with complete and clean service histories, get winter tires and wheels (or get a winter driver), keep up on the maintenance, and drive the wheels off it.
Old 09-10-10, 08:57 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

As long as you know what you are getting into and you are 100% clear eyed about exactly what kind of car the LS is (and isn't). It is an very expensive, complex car with lots of expensive parts. It is ultra reliable, but when it breaks or needs service, it is not cheap to repair. It is also a large heavy luxury sedan - it is not a sporty car by any stretch of the imagination. As a final caution, in today's economic conditions, and depending opn random factors and also where you live, it may attract some negative vibe as it is unmistakably a top of the line Lexus and therefore a "rich" person's car in some folks minds - can lead to vandalism, intentional keying, weird jealousy, etc. Not a car to park on the street.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-10-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 09:08 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to lie... we've owned a 1991, 1998, 2002 and 2004 LS and the best car by far was the '98. Those LS400s were a truly remarkable example of top notch engineering. Maybe not Toyota's "W140" per se (as I can not imagine the Japanese ever LOSING money on a mass market car), but probably as close as they'd ever come to that.

The 2002 and 2004 are great cars, and the LS line taken as a whole is one of *the* best large cars of ALL time in my honest opinion. There ARE some things that were undoubtedly cheapened as the model line went on however. Some examples would be the glove soft leather that you could feel when you put your hands in the door pulls on the LS400, the absolutely superior Nakamichi sound system, the "springy" seats, and general fit and finish.

That said, the LS400 simply can not compete in today's world of technology and the same things that make the LS430 a technological powerhouse, also are part of the reason why the 430 should not be expected to be as trouble-free as its older brother. Ultra Luxury models for example feature every technological gizmo one could have pondered up during that time, which unfortunately includes the load leveling rear suspensions that can, and do, find ways to leak... avoid the UL option package unless you absolutely insist on the coolbox and "master command" for the rear passengers (radio controls back there, reclining seats etc.). The 6 speed automatics in the 2004 and up models are not quite as robust as the 5 speed box in the 2001-2003, so its good you won't have that to deal with. Tilt and telescope mechanisms in all years of this LS generation are known to go bad. If you buy one, I suggest having your dealer de-program the auto-exit feature unless you are very large and absolutely must have it. I have heard R&R costs for the tilt/telescope mechanism in the steering wheel from 400 to 1000 dollars depending on what needs replaced. The seat coolers (which of course were not even available on the LS400), don't really work all that well.

Overall, there is not really a lot to go wrong here outside of some electrical doo-dads, but when it does go wrong it can be very expensive to make right. It is SO much more critical on this generation LS to make absolutely sure you find a car with a meticulous dealership maintenance record (manual calls for religious service intervals every 5k) versus the old LS400 in which I tried to just ensure general maintenance was completed when I purchased one.

It doesn't look like you will be able to buy a CPO car, so set aside a small budget for repairs, or get an extended warranty and enjoy.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-10-10 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 11:00 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

all 3 above have given you great advise. Its exactly what I am expecting, and we'll see ..... Ive only had my ls for 2 days.
Old 09-11-10, 06:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are on a budget and want to gamble it will be a problem free car, good bet IMO, buy an 04 premium model. No nav and camera to worry about busting. Mine handles fine without snow tires you have stab and trac control.

They are great cars 115,000 miles nothing gone wrong on my premium
Old 09-11-10, 06:59 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bit boring, but unbeatable ride and comfort! Good luck, I would save up more for 2004 if you can wait!
Old 09-11-10, 07:06 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks guys,

I have had my mind set on one of these cars ever since I first saw one.

I am not into sports cars as I have enough speeding tickets.

To me the LS430 is Lexus Luxury at its finest.

Great car-----I want one badly

And im not too concerned with the electrical gadgets and features, as long as the drive train and major aspects of the car are reliable-----thats all im concerned about.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 09-11-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 07:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
...And im not too concerned with the electrical gadgets and features, as long as the drive train and major aspects of the car are reliable-----thats all im concerned about.
The problem is there is a lot of expensive electronics. Two examples not previously mentioned:

- Radar cruise control / PCS option on UL and CL cars is about $3K to replace the sensitive front sensor IIRC

- On ML, CL, and UL cars (everything above Premium), the climate and radio controls are integrated into the touchscreen nav. If the nav goes out, you have limited control of these other functions.

If you want a dead-nuts reliable car to drive until the wheels fall off, the Premium trim level is probably the best.
Old 09-11-10, 05:38 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The problem is there is a lot of expensive electronics. Two examples not previously mentioned:

- Radar cruise control / PCS option on UL and CL cars is about $3K to replace the sensitive front sensor IIRC

- On ML, CL, and UL cars (everything above Premium), the climate and radio controls are integrated into the touchscreen nav. If the nav goes out, you have limited control of these other functions.

If you want a dead-nuts reliable car to drive until the wheels fall off, the Premium trim level is probably the best.
This is true. The premium trim level, while honestly a bit boring, is the closest thing I could find to the feel of the old LS400.

Honestly, I would take a 2004 LS430 Premium ANY DAY over a 2001-03 Ultra Luxury (and that's exactly what I did). Quite possibly the only thing I would want out of the Custom/Ultra Luxury package in 2003 is the beautiful suede headliner. Other than that, I think the '04-'06 has an absolutely classic look that is among Toyota's finest design ever produced (some will argue that the greenhouse is too tall, and that's a valid concern).

If you get an '04 Premium you will get some things just by default that were not even available in 2003. The two that come to mind immediately are the Smart Key Keyless Ignition system, and the Swiveling Adaptive Front Headlight system. The Smart Key alone makes the switch to the 2004 worth-while. If you get a ML or CL car with Nav in 2004, you also get Bluetooth, which did not exist in 2003.

There are some rare "base" model 2004 LS430s out there that do not have the Smart Key, so make sure its a Premium (which also has heated and cooled seats while the base has heat only).
Old 09-11-10, 07:19 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone mentioned already, but this car is a big magnet for haters. I've gotten keyed and dinged purposely already. HATERS !!!!

Parallel parking itself is easy, finding a spot to fit it is hard. Most towns I live near, the spots are marked perfectly for the LS' size, but if anyone is off by about 1/2 - 1 foot, and no go.
Old 09-11-10, 08:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked one up and it is easily the best car this side of a bentley. It's quiet, smooth and surprising fun to drive. The engine is quiet, smooth, and powerful. Trans is also very smooth. Steering is nicely weighted and precise. It feels like all the big mechanical components will go on forever.

I chose the 430 b/c of it's high levels of luxury combined with toyota quality and reliability at a reasonable price. I came from a 07 BMW 328i with a 6 spd. The Bimmer was sharper to drive, but doesn't feel anywhere as solid or composed as the 430. Like you OP, I got quite a few tickets with exuberant driving with my 3. The 430 puts me in an extremely relaxed mood and I drive like an old man all the time.

Like what many have said try to find an 04 if you can. With the 04 (in addition to what playdrv4me mentioned) you also get a 6 speed auto with manual shift instead of the older 5 speed auto in the 01-03. The fewer toys you have the less likely you will have anything go wrong. However, I do highly recommend the nav as it is very easy to use and suits such a sophisticated car very well.

Bottom line is...DO IT! Once you are serious enough where you post on a board there is no turning back lol. I have always admired these big luxo cars and am glad I made the switch. I am sure you will too. Good luck with your search!
Old 09-11-10, 09:00 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

As an engineer and previous employee of a large Japanese company in Japan, I have great appreciation for all the thought and engineering that went into the LS. The LS430 spent 400 hours in the Japan Railways bullet train windtunnel, one of the quiest in the world. Every angle in the front grille, air dam, and even the underbody was tuned to minimize noise. There are subtle features that are barely documented in the owner's manuals, like how the rear massage seats adjust in intensity as you hold down the button, or how the front AC louvers swing back and forth differently depending on the interior temp and if someone is riding in the front passenger seat. Also, the entire suspension and much of the underbody is aluminum (aluminum on a car is like titanium on a bicycle=$$$$). With European competitors, I don't think you get into aluminum suspensions until the $60K price range.

The only issue I've had is a bad internal connection in the AC blower (recently at 28K mi), as we use AC here in AZ EVERY DAY. It was covered under warranty. My wife's LX also had a blower replaced around 45K mi, also under warranty.

Get the Lexus credit card. 1.5% of every purchase goes towards any purchase at the dealer and 5% for every lexus dealer purchase. Next week, I'm having the timing belt and water pump on my wife's LX470 done, all using points, so it's FREE. Toyota has a Toyota credit card, but you only get like 1% or less. Over 4.5 years, I've accumulated around $2K in free dealer service, which I use for major scheduled service (like next week's), full details once a year and leather cleaning every 6 months, and in case something breaks (3rd brake light on my wife's LX cracked last year; $300 to replace, but free using points!). In retrospect, I find it easier and cheaper and more convenient to own a Lexus over a toyota, as I can use the points for service and get a free loaner rather than have to wait hours in the Toyota dealer lounge. In fact, this is one reason why the most recent car I bought was the LS (for the reliability, quality, reputation).
Old 09-11-10, 10:12 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Jim - great tip on the credit car, I will definitely check it out. I have been using cash back credit cards exclusively ever since they came out for every single purchase we make - has been a great deal for us. The Lexus car sounds very interesting.
Old 09-12-10, 02:50 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good points but the real reason you do not want an LS is you will look really silly walking around with a smile on your 24/7 ,,the car is that good!

Quick Reply: I want an ls430 badly----are there any reasons not to----what are the pros and cons--