LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
3 or less minor problems
58.66%
4 or more minor problems
11.42%
1 major problem and some minor problems
16.54%
2 to 4 major problems and some minor problems
9.84%
too many problems to count
3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 03:39 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Al LOT of "Options" you added, but you have to have brakes and tires. The other "Maintenance" wasn't excessively expensive, I don't think. I bet the "Toys" you added were more than the required items. Not to be "Proud", but if one is going to drive a "Luxury Vehicle", they have to know the cost of maintaining one.

I have been taught a lesson a while back. "The rich can go out and buy about anything they want, but ONLY THE WEALTHY can keep it and maintain it." Just food for thought.
I also forgot to mention Viper 5900 Alarm with remote start.
About the speakers, original ML sub didn't work from the beginning and both front speakers were ripped so I wanted to get as close as possible to ML sound but maybe a little better and louder.
Since I put new Michelins and CrossDrilled rotors and ceramic pads, braking and handling improved significantly, I do not regret buying and installing them.
All in all it was about $2000 to fix problems and another ~$2500-3000 for maintenance and "toys" which most of them are paid for once and for a long time.
Before buying such a sophisticated car I did alot of research and basically was prepared for high maintenance costs.
Old 11-09-10, 06:36 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I also forgot to mention Viper 5900 Alarm with remote start.
About the speakers, original ML sub didn't work from the beginning and both front speakers were ripped so I wanted to get as close as possible to ML sound but maybe a little better and louder.
Since I put new Michelins and CrossDrilled rotors and ceramic pads, braking and handling improved significantly, I do not regret buying and installing them.
All in all it was about $2000 to fix problems and another ~$2500-3000 for maintenance and "toys" which most of them are paid for once and for a long time.
Before buying such a sophisticated car I did alot of research and basically was prepared for high maintenance costs.
I'm JEALOUS! I don't crank up my speakers much, as I'm over 60 years old, and I need to keep all the hearing I have left. I hope the owner before you didn't abuse the car and /or speakers.

I am hard on brakes, as is my wife. We have a lot of stop signs between home and work. I'd love to know more about the rotors and ceramic brake pads. I've always used Toyota brake pads as I thought they were the best, but I may have been mis-lead. They are "pricey" enough, but I'd love to know a better alternative to them like the ceramic pads. I don't know anything about the drilled out rotors. ???????

Thanks for the advice and information.
Old 11-09-10, 08:40 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carnut
I'm JEALOUS! I don't crank up my speakers much, as I'm over 60 years old, and I need to keep all the hearing I have left. I hope the owner before you didn't abuse the car and /or speakers.

I am hard on brakes, as is my wife. We have a lot of stop signs between home and work. I'd love to know more about the rotors and ceramic brake pads. I've always used Toyota brake pads as I thought they were the best, but I may have been mis-lead. They are "pricey" enough, but I'd love to know a better alternative to them like the ceramic pads. I don't know anything about the drilled out rotors. ???????

Thanks for the advice and information.
Please, don't be jelous, it's inevitable, I am going to be old too, maybe a little later
ML sub and speakers are a weak spot of the 430, so if your speakers are good you might consider dynamatting all doors and rear deck, the difference is remarkable, you get more sound in the car and it's much tighter.
The reason why I did not get oem rotors was because two oem fron rotors were around $500 without pads. I paid $380 for four cross drilled cadmium plated (for rust protection) rotors and four sets of pads. With instalation total was around $500. You can get a similar kit off eBay. Regular oem Toyota pads make rotors overheat with continuous braking so after awhile rotors get warped and you get steering wheel vibration as you step on the brakes. That's what happened to me. New rotors and pads are much more grippy and bite in harder especially warmed up. That saved me from *******s cutting me off badly and slamming brakes because traffic stopped. I'd definitely rear end 'em with stock brakes.
Old 11-09-10, 08:47 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Blower developed a bad connection (maybe due to the heat? Temp sensor was reading 117F outside) after work, had to drive 30 min (in a 117F cabin) in mid August to the dealer. Dealer diagnosed it as a bad internal connection in the blower, replaced the blower (~$500, covered under CPO warranty). Last week during my move from AZ to NM (this was my first road trip in the LS and first sustained use of cruise), the PCS developed the TSB EL012-06. Just got my car back yesterday...dealer replaced the radar ECU...$879 under CPO warranty! BTW, I was using normal cruise all the time when the PCS developed the TSB error.
Old 11-10-10, 09:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
The reason why I did not get oem rotors was because two oem fron rotors were around $500 without pads.
Where do you get your OEM prices from?

Each OEM front rotor for the LS430 is $107.94.
Old 04-18-14, 11:42 AM
f1bxl46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

02LS430 Atlanta, GA ... (1) Both side mirrors replaced 2x under warranty. 3rd time had help to clean mirror control contacts; save lubricant to reuse after cleaning contacts. Found help thru pre-2011 forum; cannot find same help in new forum. (2) Unable to read disc error and found solution on pre-2011 forum to disconnect battery cable overnight, then reconnect. Disc reader and nav worked again. Disc error recurred this week 4/16/14. Will try battery disconnect again; could need new battery in 5th of 6 yr life. Cannot find same help in new forum. (3) O2 sensor failed Feb. 2014. Replaced by Summit, Decatur, GA, 300 USD. Passed emission test to get car tag renewal. (4) Rear speakers buzz at certain frequencies. Free time will take to audio repair. Suggestions from other Atlanta GA forum users for audio repair shops? Using only front speakers.
4-24-2014 UPDATE - (2) Disconnected negative battery terminal for 10 min. No more Disc read error. May also indicate battery needs replacing, in 5th year of 6-yr battery.

Last edited by f1bxl46; 04-24-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-19-14, 10:07 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

2005 with 72k miles. Only issues I need to address are:

1. Tilt steering motor needs replaced ( 300-400 bucks to do it myself.)
2. Paint on B pillars started flaking (ordered New covers 280.00)
3. Rear drivers window trim dry rotted and needs replaced. (50.00)
Old 04-19-14, 11:08 AM
unsure45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430 2002

I jus replaced the front upper arm on bot left and right. I got such a good deal on parts that also came with the tire rods inner and outer. I replaced both sides. I was having a lot of vibration on the drives side.

My factory amp went out about 3 weeks ago. Need to replace it.

arm rest doesn't close all the way

Other than that it's okay
Old 04-23-14, 11:08 PM
Doc Yota
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I begin listing the issues of my 02 LS430(bought with 60K miles) I will say this: 150,000 miles on original timing belt...just took it to Park Place today to have it taken care of.

1. Trunk Struts
2. Idler Pulley
3. Drivers side hub assembly
4. Radiator blown up and replaced
5.Tilt Wheel
6. Passenger window sticking
7.CEL on because of fuel screen
8.CD player not working
9.Rotten egg smell under hard acceleration (we know what that is).

My 99LS 400(bought with 70K miles) that I drive very hard and has just below 150,000 miles on the other hand,

1. Replaced alternator hastily then found out my alternator was fine, the power supply on my sub amp caused the problem.
2. Small leak from power steering pump that I repaired with a sta-bil additive 2 years ago and is still fine.
3. Issue with starting that made me think my starter was bad and ended up being just a broken key.

Mind you, I take great care of my cars. I still have my 93 Del Sol, and 93 Acura Legend that I bought while in college nearly 20 years ago and they drive fine but have had issues as well.

The LS430 is still awesome in my book, but its no UCF20....sorry.

Last edited by Doc Yota; 04-23-14 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 09:41 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Bought my 2001 LS430 (w/ 88k miles) a year ago. It has been very reliable. Did the 90k service. Had to replace lower bushings in the front suspension at 93k. Replaced the battery (which was 5 years old). I've owned many cars. This is the best car I've ever owned. LOL take it out on recreational rides just to enjoy the drive. Suggest preventive maintenance on the telescoping steering wheel. When mine started to be slightly noisy, had the dealer lube it. End of problem. Worn hood or trunk struts? Did aftermarket on our ES300. End of problem. Look forward to many more years of LS430 ownership!
Old 01-06-15, 07:55 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Problems I've had with my 03 LS430 (bought new, now at 90K):

1 - Gawdamm sun visors have squeeked something awful for years now when you flip them up or down. This is something I have not been able to fix myself or find a fix for. Anyone know how to fix this?

2 - Levinson subwoofer is blown. Went bad about a year ago, still haven't fixed it yet - need to get on this one.

3 - Telescoping wheel was making lots of groaning noises when going up/down. Pulled off the cover and regreased. Done.

That's it besides tires, brakes, battery, fluids. Still on original spark plugs. I've never had the car aligned and it still tracks like a champ. My air sus is still good (though I have a set of sport steel suspension in my garage waiting for the day I need to replace it). Bout ready to do the timing belt.
Old 01-06-15, 07:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

0 problems on 3 cars. Depends a lot on how you take care of the car. And I honestly baby my cars all the time.
Old 01-08-15, 08:09 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Just bought my 2003 in May with 68k, now it has 80k. I am totally in love so far, BUT......

1. Telescoping wheel broken when I bough it, fortunately in a good place so I will forget about it. Definitely got the auto feature disconnected. My last car was an Acura RL which also had an auto telescope that broke, so it seems nobody sources a motor powerful enough for this. Tilt works fine, just like in my Acura.
A service advisor at Lexus of Riverside, CA was very helpful and advised me it could be the worm drive, which would be around $400 total or the motor, around $800 total. Good to know.

2. Blown speakers. A known problem. The problem is simply the outside foam ring. If you are handy, you can buy re-foaming kits and do it yourself. I am not really, so I found a reputable car stereo guy, and he did all speakers and sub for about $500. Sounds new now; not bad $$ if it lasts the life of the car again.

3. The stupid folding mirrors. Currently reeling over this, but not a necessary function....I guess.

4. A couple of the parking sensors in the back are questionable.

Other than those semi-minor, non critical items, the car is beautiful and flawless in its reliability and operation. I definitely did my research online on the reputation and knew I wanted one.
Old 01-09-15, 08:25 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Just bought my 2003 in May with 68k, now it has 80k. I am totally in love so far, BUT...... 1. Telescoping wheel broken when I bough it, fortunately in a good place so I will forget about it. Definitely got the auto feature disconnected. My last car was an Acura RL which also had an auto telescope that broke, so it seems nobody sources a motor powerful enough for this. Tilt works fine, just like in my Acura. A service advisor at Lexus of Riverside, CA was very helpful and advised me it could be the worm drive, which would be around $400 total or the motor, around $800 total. Good to know. 2. Blown speakers. A known problem. The problem is simply the outside foam ring. If you are handy, you can buy re-foaming kits and do it yourself. I am not really, so I found a reputable car stereo guy, and he did all speakers and sub for about $500. Sounds new now; not bad $$ if it lasts the life of the car again. 3. The stupid folding mirrors. Currently reeling over this, but not a necessary function....I guess. 4. A couple of the parking sensors in the back are questionable. Other than those semi-minor, non critical items, the car is beautiful and flawless in its reliability and operation. I definitely did my research online on the reputation and knew I wanted one.
All these problems listed are DIY's and available here in the forum. Check them out.
Cosmetic trouble as such, aren't a big deal, like say some transmission defects.
Old 06-14-15, 01:48 PM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Love the car, but not without headaches.

I bought my LS430 Ultra in 2005 as a certified used car with 33K miles. No repair history showed up, but Carfax reported a minor accident. What was odd is that the color of the car was changed, meaning the whole car was repainted. ???

Over the next two years I had to replace all four air struts and the adaptive cruise laser module. Thankfully, these were all covered under warranty, or the cost would have been about $7000. Then the annoying stuff began.

First the driver's door lock actuator failed, and it wouldn't lock. I fixed it myself, but the part cost over $500. Shortly after the tilt/extend feature of the steering wheel stopped working. Lexus wanted $500 to fix it, but I removed the covers and re-greased it. That solved it.

The next summer, I returned home from vacation to find that the whole instrument cluster was dead. I reset it and it worked for awhile, but then stopped again. The dealer charged my $900 for a new module in the panel.

Around the end of 2014 I began hearing a sound like an airplane was flying overhead. My mechanic asked me if it changed sound when I turned the wheel, and it did. Sure enough my right front wheel bearing was shot. Again, thanks to the forum, I was able to do it myself in about an hour. Cost: $400.

Then, about six months ago the rear passenger door actuator did the same thing that happened to the driver's door. Now the part price for a new actuator had gone up to $600. But I found out that you could open the motor housing of the EZ Close and inside was a small motor that could be bought on eBay for $6.00. I bought two just in case another door failed... it didn't take long.

Yesterday, when we were leaving Costco, my wife said she couldn't close the passenger door. It was as if there were no latch at all. She held the door closed while I slowly drove the 25 miles home.

This being the third door problem, I was now a Certified Lexus Lock Expert. So this morning I removed the door panel and actuator assembly to find that the latch was indeed broken. There is a small plastic ear that extends from the metal housing for the latch. On it there is a micro switch that is opened when the door is closed. The lever that actuates it is spring loaded, as the latch closes the spring compresses, pushing the lever that opens the switch. Heat, time, and the constant pressure of the spring had caused the plastic to fatigue and fail. Very poor design, in my opinion.

A repair is possible, but given the constant pressure of the spring and the small surface to apply adhesive (JB Weld), I am not confident it will last.

I have friends who have driven their LS's for 250-300K miles. I expect my car to last that long, but I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have gotten a lemon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car. It is a dream to drive and the ride is the best I've experienced. I want to keep it, but it seems to be disintegrating around me.

So that's my tale, like a woman who drives you crazy, but you can't stand the thought of being without!
The following 2 users liked this post by hklinker:
dyeem138 (02-22-20), kelleher2 (10-06-17)

Quick Reply: Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430