LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
3 or less minor problems
58.66%
4 or more minor problems
11.42%
1 major problem and some minor problems
16.54%
2 to 4 major problems and some minor problems
9.84%
too many problems to count
3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 07:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,143 Likes on 851 Posts

Oh boy, well to be technical I did everything myself on this car but I'll list everything that needed replaced to be truly 100% since I always do so with new used cars I like.

2002, base, 210k miles all parts used are dealer or top grade aftermarket (Felpro, proforged, NGK, ETC)

Front lower control arm bushings (all)
Front upper arms
Lower ball joints
Inner and outer tie rods
Sway bar bushings front and rear
All four strut mounts
Both valve covers
Spark plugs
Both knock sensors
Starter solenoid (because I was there)
Radiator
Accessory belt idler bearing
Timing belt and all things touching it
Front main (since I was there)
Lower engine oil pan
Trans pan and four flushes
Four 1000 mile oil changes with RP to clean
New headlight ballast and bulbs
All rear bulbs and left outer tail light
PS fluid was flushed 8 times, still not clean
Brake fluid changed to DOT 4
All new tires and alignment
Door lock actuators motors in the front
Trans and engine mounts
TB and idle port clean and relearn

That's all for now, probably could have ignored most of it but I fix anything that is out of spec on most of my cars except the true beater Jeep.
Old 03-29-20, 08:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

My starter started acting up about 2 months ago, was about to replace it. I messed with it by clicking the key a bunch and could get it to start. It was screwy for about a day after that, two months later I haven't had an issue since. Starts fine every time.

Got to love these cars. Things will break and then "fix". I know eventually I'll have to replace the starter, but these cars have very high quality parts that you can really squeeze every last ounce of life out of before replacing.

Other than that I've replaced LCA rubber bushings and I did valve cover gaskets when I replaced plugs.

Driver door lock actuator is out, I leave it broken because refuse to pay $800+ to fix it. I can go back to the early 90s with entry and exit via key, I'm well used to it by now.

Airbag light will come on sometimes, couldn't care less. I put a business card over it to not have to see the light.

Those are the only issues this car has had in 16 years.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-29-20 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 01:34 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For my recently purchased 03 with 144K miles (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-welcome.html)
Here is the issue I encounter:
Fixed a few things this couple days
1) unable to adjust side mirror --> Fixed (by cleaning the wiring harness)

2) folding mirror -->was stuck after car wash the 1st time but now seems to be ok Not an issue any more
3) unable to move steering column up/down, in/out --> checked fuses all ok, moving the button doesn't do anything, no sound or movement at all (this one is what I really want to fix but not sure it is motors issue) (NOT FIXED YET)
4) blown speaker and subwoofer --> ordered new speakers foam and did a DIY fix Not an issue any more (now I found out the front door speakers have the same issue)
5) front right easy close door not working --> will need new actuator (probably not going to fix due to cost)
6) unable to open center console --> Fixed
7) climate control light is out on driver side --> Ordered T4 bulb and Fixed
8) rear right parking sensor got pushed in --> will need to figure out how to get the sensor back on the bumper (NOT FIXED YET)
9) rear right door unlock issue --> once a while the door look seems to be stuck, I can still use the remote to fully unlock but when my kid try to open the door inside, the button with the red indicator only move half way and no way to open it. (NOT FIXED YET)
10) need to get a second key + Reprogram --> Fixed
11) yellow headlight --> did a quick DIY restoration
12) radar cruise control doesn't work --> when turn on, it has error on dash showing check cruise control and I wouldn't able to go to normal cruise. To use normal cruise, I need to start my car, then turn cruise control on and push the control for 2 sec to get it to "normal" cruise mode. Then I can use it as normal cruise control (NOT YET FIXED)
Old 09-26-21, 08:56 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

My '05 purchased 4 years ago at 109K is now at 132K. Car has been fantastically reliable.
No leaks of any type, door lock actuators, mirrors, tilt/telescope and other functions are still as per new. Speakers are all good.
The only defect I have discovered is that I cannot disable the remote key detect feature when I press the button down low by your shins. Not a big deal.
4 year old battery starts car instantly.

Just DIY routine maintenance since I bought it- brake fluid flush, 3 transmission oil drain/fills, oil changes, replaced radiator cap, wiper blades, headlight restore, ceramic coating on paint (looks great!), replaced batteries on keys, etc. Front brake pads replaced a year ago, rear pads will be done soon but have lasted over 85,000 miles and I still have 4mm of pad. Not too shabby.
Timing belt was done at 94,000 miles January 2016. I will do a coolant change soon since it has been 5 years on the new coolant that came with the TB job.

Last edited by TominPT; 09-26-21 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 06:27 PM
zoomee99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2004 w 110K mi...100% dealer maintained before I bought it in 2020.

Rear sunshade does not retract or deploy correctly. Will address when I do rear shocks in the meantime pulled the fuse in the up position.
Had annoying front end bounce only noticeable when hitting a bump on the highway. Did front shocks, did not help, then replaced steering rack bushings. Fixed.
Telescoping steering motor dead. It's failed where I like it so not a fix item.
Trunk pistons weak. Replaced.
Drivers side mirror folding went nuts. Disassembled, removed motor plug to disable.

Last edited by zoomee99; 07-06-22 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added more items
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (10-08-21)
Old 10-11-21, 11:51 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice color. I don't know how difficult DIY is on the rear shade but dealer cost is ridiculous. I solved the problem by not using. My 04 (125k) has an irritating barely audible whine 70-80. Maybe tire related since it almost disappeared when tire pressure was lower than stock. Great cars.
Old 10-11-21, 11:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Nice color. I don't know how difficult DIY is on the rear shade but dealer cost is ridiculous. I solved the problem by not using. My 04 (125k) has an irritating barely audible whine 70-80. Maybe tire related since it almost disappeared when tire pressure was lower than stock. Great cars.
That's your transmission. Mine does it too when you take your foot off the gas at about 75, has since I bought it with 75k miles. Only does it in 6th gear. It's a common "issue".

Doesn't bother me and it drowns out with conversation, radio etc. but I did notice it.

Nothing to worry about, though. It will be a decade I've owned the car this coming January. Transmission shifts smoother than ever.
Old 09-09-22, 12:22 PM
Momcat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 2004 Lexus are working for

sensors never let us know it was overheating. Came up under the anti-skid **** going off and then the radiator blew up. Fix the radiator everything worked great started again with the VHS code RVSH I don’t know motor started running rough oil in the spark plugs had to replace those and now my car is leaking through the driver door how many people have issues with this? Now due to the humidity my sunroof opens on it’s own. Can’t drive it and in all honesty would prefer having a 4Runner
Old 09-21-22, 07:39 PM
waqasnova
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Driver door lock actuator is out, I leave it broken because refuse to pay $800+ to fix it. I can go back to the early 90s with entry and exit via key, I'm well used to it by now.
I hope you have discovered the cheap DIY fix thread for it and applied it by now, but if not, here is the thread with a youtube video link (highlander's actuator motor fix) that I used to fix the issue on my 2002 LS 430. It costs a $6ish motor and the labor time.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-repair.html
Old 09-22-22, 07:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waqasnova
I hope you have discovered the cheap DIY fix thread for it and applied it by now, but if not, here is the thread with a youtube video link (highlander's actuator motor fix) that I used to fix the issue on my 2002 LS 430. It costs a $6ish motor and the labor time.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-repair.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtPJQCtmX8
Lol thank you for the link, but I went and had it fixed and bit the bullet years ago.

I know a good deal about cars but I am just useless at anything DIY. Thanks though.