LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
3 or less minor problems
58.66%
4 or more minor problems
11.42%
1 major problem and some minor problems
16.54%
2 to 4 major problems and some minor problems
9.84%
too many problems to count
3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 07:31 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hklinker
I bought my LS430 Ultra in 2005 as a certified used car with 33K miles. No repair history showed up, but Carfax reported a minor accident. What was odd is that the color of the car was changed, meaning the whole car was repainted. ???

Over the next two years I had to replace all four air struts and the adaptive cruise laser module. Thankfully, these were all covered under warranty, or the cost would have been about $7000. Then the annoying stuff began.

First the driver's door lock actuator failed, and it wouldn't lock. I fixed it myself, but the part cost over $500. Shortly after the tilt/extend feature of the steering wheel stopped working. Lexus wanted $500 to fix it, but I removed the covers and re-greased it. That solved it.

The next summer, I returned home from vacation to find that the whole instrument cluster was dead. I reset it and it worked for awhile, but then stopped again. The dealer charged my $900 for a new module in the panel.

Around the end of 2014 I began hearing a sound like an airplane was flying overhead. My mechanic asked me if it changed sound when I turned the wheel, and it did. Sure enough my right front wheel bearing was shot. Again, thanks to the forum, I was able to do it myself in about an hour. Cost: $400.

Then, about six months ago the rear passenger door actuator did the same thing that happened to the driver's door. Now the part price for a new actuator had gone up to $600. But I found out that you could open the motor housing of the EZ Close and inside was a small motor that could be bought on eBay for $6.00. I bought two just in case another door failed... it didn't take long.

Yesterday, when we were leaving Costco, my wife said she couldn't close the passenger door. It was as if there were no latch at all. She held the door closed while I slowly drove the 25 miles home.

This being the third door problem, I was now a Certified Lexus Lock Expert. So this morning I removed the door panel and actuator assembly to find that the latch was indeed broken. There is a small plastic ear that extends from the metal housing for the latch. On it there is a micro switch that is opened when the door is closed. The lever that actuates it is spring loaded, as the latch closes the spring compresses, pushing the lever that opens the switch. Heat, time, and the constant pressure of the spring had caused the plastic to fatigue and fail. Very poor design, in my opinion.

A repair is possible, but given the constant pressure of the spring and the small surface to apply adhesive (JB Weld), I am not confident it will last.

I have friends who have driven their LS's for 250-300K miles. I expect my car to last that long, but I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have gotten a lemon. Don't get me wrong, I love my car. It is a dream to drive and the ride is the best I've experienced. I want to keep it, but it seems to be disintegrating around me.

So that's my tale, like a woman who drives you crazy, but you can't stand the thought of being without!
The moment I found out my car had a "total re-paint", I would have been back at the dealership DEMANDING another car. Sounds like a total loss and a "washed title" to me. You can pay now or pay later. But a CarFax report DOES damage your trade value significanlty on a high-end luxury car like a LS-460. I would not drive one around the block without it being under the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty. I would cut my losses and upgrade to a newer car if I was in your driver's seat. Just my opinion. I'm glad you are mechanically inclinded. I am not and not wanting to learn at my age. Good luck to you. Sound like "Luck" is what you need, and GOOD luck.
Old 06-15-15, 01:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

'04 112k. Bought 3 years ago with 75k.

I've had to replace lower control arm bushings, and a leaky valve cover gasket (they went ahead and did both, and replaced spark plugs while they were at it.) at 107k.

Said issues were not even really manifesting (although I'd get a huge thud if turning sharply onto a curbed driveway, etc.), yet I was just about to move to Los Angeles from Tennessee, and figured I'd have issues addressed back in Knox before moving out here just to pay double. (Lexus dealers here want $109 for just an oil and filter change....riggggggght.). Valve cover gasket was hardly leaking (tech showed me), but I know it's a common issue and figured do a little preemptive maintenance.

Otherwise, no issues at all. Best car I've ever owned, hands down, no question about it.
Old 06-15-15, 03:07 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
'04 112k. Bought 3 years ago with 75k.

I've had to replace lower control arm bushings, and a leaky valve cover gasket (they went ahead and did both, and replaced spark plugs while they were at it.) at 107k.

Said issues were not even really manifesting (although I'd get a huge thud if turning sharply onto a curbed driveway, etc.), yet I was just about to move to Los Angeles from Tennessee, and figured I'd have issues addressed back in Knox before moving out here just to pay double. (Lexus dealers here want $109 for just an oil and filter change....riggggggght.). Valve cover gasket was hardly leaking (tech showed me), but I know it's a common issue and figured do a little preemptive maintenance.

Otherwise, no issues at all. Best car I've ever owned, hands down, no question about it.
I take my LS-460 to a Toyota dealership near my house. It's about $70.00 bucks for it all. A neighbor works for Lexus and he said to ONLY use 0-20 W FULL SYNTHETIC Toyota oil. Toyota carries it and are familiar with the LS-460 filter cartriges. About $30 bucks cheaper.
Old 06-15-15, 07:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carnut
I take my LS-460 to a Toyota dealership near my house. It's about $70.00 bucks for it all. A neighbor works for Lexus and he said to ONLY use 0-20 W FULL SYNTHETIC Toyota oil. Toyota carries it and are familiar with the LS-460 filter cartriges. About $30 bucks cheaper.
Haha, way ahead of you brah. Drove the beast right down the street to Toyota of Hollywood dealer and they changed the oil for $49. Even did a full inspection for free. Lexus has never, not once, done that. Never going to Lexus for service again.
Old 06-16-15, 07:30 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
Haha, way ahead of you brah. Drove the beast right down the street to Toyota of Hollywood dealer and they changed the oil for $49. Even did a full inspection for free. Lexus has never, not once, done that. Never going to Lexus for service again.
Well, that's a GREAT price. I just hope you dip-stick it after a change to make sure it's FULL. That sounds awfully cheap for FULL SYNTHETIC Toyota oil, for over 10 quarts at that, plus the filter element and labor. Good price no doubt.
Old 06-16-15, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carnut
Well, that's a GREAT price. I just hope you dip-stick it after a change to make sure it's FULL. That sounds awfully cheap for FULL SYNTHETIC Toyota oil, for over 10 quarts at that, plus the filter element and labor. Good price no doubt.
I don't use synthetic. Could explain the cheaper price. Owners manual doesn't call for it, so I don't use it. Hell, these engines are so indestructible you could put water in the oil reservoir and it'd still run. Synthetic or not, these are motors that will run 300k EASILY.

I remember reading in another website forum where a guy had an LS430 where the motor seized. He was slamming the car, but neglected to mention that he picked it up second hand and the previous owner never changed the oil, like not once. The engine made it to 80k!!!!!!!! Just wow!!!!

Btw, the $109 quote from Lexus out here (LA) wasn't for synthetic, just regular.
Old 06-16-15, 04:05 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Carnut: You have referred to an LS460 and 10 quarts of oil. You are in the LS430 forum. Your comments are always welcome but appear to apply to the LS460, just wanted to nicely point it out. That said, we are all friends here.
Old 06-16-15, 04:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Carnut: You have referred to an LS460 and 10 quarts of oil. You are in the LS430 forum. Your comments are always welcome but appear to apply to the LS460, just wanted to nicely point it out. That said, we are all friends here.
I was wondering about the same thing
Old 07-05-15, 05:41 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I am considering an 04-06 LS430 as my next car and this thread has been very valuable.

What in the world has gone on at Toyota to have these cars have so many problems that were unheard of in older Lexus models?

I've owned a second gen LS in the late 90s and still have a 98 SC300 where pretty much nothing breaks. The starter went out at 190K miles and left me stranded once but that's it. The factory installed speakers still work perfectly as does every electrical motor in the car.

What I am basically getting from this thread is to avoid the better optioned 430 because it is more stuff to break; do not touch the air suspension with a 10 foot pole. I will go for a sub 50K miles example without even the NAVI screen and only the stiffer suspension so it does not have a floaty big car ride.

Did any specific bugs get worked out of the car between the 04 and 06 years? Were any parts revised?
Old 07-06-15, 09:24 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texan_176
I am considering an 04-06 LS430 as my next car and this thread has been very valuable.

What in the world has gone on at Toyota to have these cars have so many problems that were unheard of in older Lexus models?

I've owned a second gen LS in the late 90s and still have a 98 SC300 where pretty much nothing breaks. The starter went out at 190K miles and left me stranded once but that's it. The factory installed speakers still work perfectly as does every electrical motor in the car.

What I am basically getting from this thread is to avoid the better optioned 430 because it is more stuff to break; do not touch the air suspension with a 10 foot pole. I will go for a sub 50K miles example without even the NAVI screen and only the stiffer suspension so it does not have a floaty big car ride.

Did any specific bugs get worked out of the car between the 04 and 06 years? Were any parts revised?
The LS-400 and 430's were the best cars built. AVOID the air ride suspension. The bags WILL eventually leak. Other than that, it's bullet prooof. The only concern I'd have is AGE-RELATED issues. As far as mechanical, they are GREAT cars. It's when they came out with the 460's is where they made their mistakes. Good luck !
Old 09-17-15, 11:51 AM
f1bxl46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02LS430 Update to 2014 posting

Unknown as to how to continue with 2014 postings to update. (1) Whenever Unable to Read DVD displays often after I disconnect and reconnect cable after 10 minutes, I get the battery replaced. In my case, the new battery prevents the Unable to Read DVD from displaying. I followed this routine for the last 3 batteries. (2) Rear speaker buzz at certain frequencies regardless of AM or FM channel. Had rear speaker replaced and no more buzzing. Am not a do-it-yourself-er so speaker replacement was only option. (3) With only 81K on odometer, I hear a whir when wipers swipe left to right. Will try to listen from outside after placing towels under wipers to prevent unrelated sounds. Cannot pull wipers away from windshield with hood open to listen for whir. Cannot see wiper motor with hood open. (4) Side mirrors still working after contacts cleaned and grease re-used. (5) Want to find someone with correct Nav DVD to update original map. Anyone willing to share compatible Nav DVD for non-ML sound system? (6) Still love my 02LS430 and its luxury ride!
Old 09-17-15, 01:22 PM
johnnylt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2005 here ls430 custom luxury package , bought 5 months ago in Chicago with 102,000 on it , immediately had the tb done all the pulleys , water pump , plugs and serpentine ,just to be on safe side they were all original , was amazed at the belt my mechanic showed it to me ,said could have gone another 50,000 miles no fraying , splits nothing . Next day cd player stopped ( I put a homemade one in ) and then passenger door actuator went , not going to bother with it , to much labor and very expensive, that's what the Fob is for hold down lock button and windows go down , and reach in with your hand loll, and a few dash light bulbs I replaced that's it , love the car the best I ever had!!!! everything else works great
Old 09-17-15, 02:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

2001 LS430 120,000 miles. Purchased 5.5 years ago with 98,000 miles.. Since purchase:

1. First tried to fix rear subwoofer and eventually purchased a new one as well as 2 door Lexus speakers.
2. Both Valve cover gaskets
3. one oxygen sensor
4. Replaced OEM radiator with Denso radiator
5. Front struts (although only one was making noise)
6. Wear and tear items: Front and Rear brakes, new set of tires (Primacys)
7. Battery (wear and tear item)

This car is probably the best and most proven Lexus ever produced. Yes it is expensive to repair. However, depreciation is no longer a factor unless you purchase a low mileage 06.. Best value for a Luxury Sedan today..I love this car.
Old 02-14-16, 10:04 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Great info

How common are problems with the NAV screen in LS340s?

Will it just go out one day or not work right by either just age or hours of use?

I looked at an 04 model with the sport suspension and NAVI screen at an Audi dealer in my area. A test drive was done and I liked the car a lot but walked away because of the screen. Yes it was designed in the 1990s and is now dated looking but other than that I just don't trust electronics that old even if they are Toyota made. It was a black on black car with 83K miles that was selling for $11,500. I kind of regretted not buying it but looking back I would say I made the right choice and will seek out something with much lower miles and the standard HVAC radio setup.

I love how loaded to the gills the UL models are and the rear seat controls but the screen and the air suspension make it a no go.

I wish they had made a limited run of the LS in the SC color Tiger Eye Mica.

Last edited by texan_176; 02-15-16 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 09:04 AM
GrahamG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bocatrip, why did you replace your radiator? Was it by way of preventative maintenance or did it fail?

Quick Reply: Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430