LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
3 or less minor problems
58.66%
4 or more minor problems
11.42%
1 major problem and some minor problems
16.54%
2 to 4 major problems and some minor problems
9.84%
too many problems to count
3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 04:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've only had the car about six months. It came with a broken steering wheel radio switch, which I had repaired, but I won't count that. The only other problem was the steering wheel retract / extend that stopped working and that was repaired for under $400 IIRC.
Old 09-10-10, 05:39 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zero issues in almost 24 months of ownership and a little over 21K miles. Only have done maintenance (oil change) and one tire replacement for nail on tire shoulder.

LOVE THIS CAR !!!
Old 11-08-10, 12:10 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
So far, ZERO people out of the first 20 voters have had nothing but trouble with their LS430. I bet there isn't a lemon in the bunch.

If we were on an Audi forum, 21 out of 20 people would be suffering from problems.

To this day, the reliability of the LS amazes me.
Well, this being my fourth Lexus, and my first LS-430 (2005), I have had zero (0) problems since buying it about 6 months ago when it had 56,000 miles on it. It now has just over 62,000 miles. I have changed the oil and filter, I put in a cabin filter myself and added a K&N Air Filter since I've had such good luck with them last 10 years or so. I'm continually happy with Lexus and just bought my wife a brand new 2010 ES-350 I'm so confident in them.
Old 11-08-10, 01:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me count out loud for my 05' LS430 UL

1, Defective design on PCS's ECU. Replaced ECU under warranty per TSB.
2, Defective design on fuel filler tube. Replaced fuel tube under warranty per TSB.
3, Side mirror reverse tilt degradation. Replaced both outside mirrors under warranty.
4, Chrome plating on 2 wheels discoloration. Replaced both wheels under warranty.
5, Both rear suspension air struts failed. Swapped out all air springs for steel springs.

So I guess you can count that as 5 major problems.

Minor? Is there anything that cost less then $400 to fix on a LS430?
Old 11-08-10, 01:31 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

my car is an '05 with 50,000 miles ..... had it about two months and its perfect EXCEPT it does float over the road more than I "think" it should.

It will get sorted out at some point, and I expect it will cost more than $400 - but I will still get it done.
Old 11-08-10, 02:26 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
Let me count out loud for my 05' LS430 UL

So I guess you can count that as 5 major problems.

Minor? Is there anything that cost less then $400 to fix on a LS430?
At this point, I "think" we can still fill the gas tanks for less than $400 bucks, but that seems to be rising also.
Old 11-08-10, 02:36 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the car since end of Aug. Nothing mechanically or electrically has gone wrong (though the driver's folding mirror seems to be slowing down a bit) so far.

I must express dissapointment to the dealer I bought it from. While the car is great for the most part, they assured me that a new clip would fix a gap b/t the pastic molding (bottom slab driver's door) and the metal. Well...got it to my dealer and they told me the plastic was physically bent. Ended up paying nearly $700 for the new piece (it's a f***ing piece of plastic for crying out loud!!! ). I did bite the bullet since this was my new car... Beware of what they tell you at the dealer just so you will buy...

Other than that, however, the car has been truly flawless. I really do feel I got a pretty good deal overall in the end. Car is absolutely fantastic!
Old 11-08-10, 02:45 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Had the car since end of Aug. Nothing mechanically or electrically has gone wrong (though the driver's folding mirror seems to be slowing down a bit) so far.

I must express dissapointment to the dealer I bought it from. While the car is great for the most part, they assured me that a new clip would fix a gap b/t the pastic molding (bottom slab driver's door) and the metal. Well...got it to my dealer and they told me the plastic was physically bent. Ended up paying nearly $700 for the new piece (it's a f***ing piece of plastic for crying out loud!!! ). I did bite the bullet since this was my new car... Beware of what they tell you at the dealer just so you will buy...

Other than that, however, the car has been truly flawless. I really do feel I got a pretty good deal overall in the end. Car is absolutely fantastic!
Yes, $700 bucks is a heap for anything, much less a piece of plastic. My recommendation to ALL Lexus owners is to start looking, talking to other Lexus owners, etc., for a shop that specializes is Lexus car repair and use them AFTER any warranty has expired. We have one company with two locations here in the city I live with outstanding reputations and quality work, and advertise a savings of "about" 33% lower than Dealerships. It's a first class run operation, loaner cars if needed, nice tile shop area, full service detail work and all are Factory Trained Lexus Tech's who got tired of the Dealership pressure to sell stuff that didn't need to be sold, or didn't meet their "Quota" of repair. The owner's are former Lexus Techs and have invested a ton of money into this business. They have a Lexus Parts Distributor in another state that sells them all the parts they want, but no local Dealerships will sell them an oil filter less than retail. That's my 2 cents to save money on things you would rather not do yourself.
The following users liked this post:
kelleher2 (10-06-17)
Old 11-08-10, 02:56 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Yes, $700 bucks is a heap for anything, much less a piece of plastic. My recommendation to ALL Lexus owners is to start looking, talking to other Lexus owners, etc., for a shop that specializes is Lexus car repair and use them AFTER any warranty has expired. We have one company with two locations here in the city I live with outstanding reputations and quality work, and advertise a savings of "about" 33% lower than Dealerships. It's a first class run operation, loaner cars if needed, nice tile shop area, full service detail work and all are Factory Trained Lexus Tech's who got tired of the Dealership pressure to sell stuff that didn't need to be sold, or didn't meet their "Quota" of repair. The owner's are former Lexus Techs and have invested a ton of money into this business. They have a Lexus Parts Distributor in another state that sells them all the parts they want, but no local Dealerships will sell them an oil filter less than retail. That's my 2 cents to save money on things you would rather not do yourself.
Going to the dealer is fine IF the car is covered by warranty.
After the warranty is up, MOST people find another shop.
Its always been that way

You need to have a very good reason to pay Lexus or any other dealer's price for parts or service. The only way I would is if they did GREAT work, and that has never been my experience yet.
Old 11-08-10, 06:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

04 premium. tires brakes t belt. Thats it. 117k miles
Old 11-08-10, 07:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

The 2001-2006 LS430 will probably go down with the 1998-2005 GS300 as being the most bullet proof cars ever produced by Lexus.
Old 11-09-10, 08:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
The 2001-2006 LS430 will probably go down with the 1998-2005 GS300 as being the most bullet proof cars ever produced by Lexus.
Along with all the LS400s, I still see a bunch of 1990 LS400s running flawlessly on the road!

It always amazes me to see a 20 years old LS400 runs so quietly and 5 years old BMWs and Benzs squealing, clunking down the road
Old 11-09-10, 02:30 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the car in September of 2008. Since then I got done:
Valve cover gaskets, tranny pan reseal, two upper oxygen sensors changed, $130 ichiba spacers to finally overcome than annoying steering vibration from 50 to 70mph, changed two subs and two pairs of front speakers + had modify and rewire the whole system and add an aftermarket amp to get best results, left mirror was changed due to known adjusting/folding failure.
Those were fixes.
I also got $1200 worth in tires, $500 in brakes (rotors + pads + work), hid's in fogs, dynamatted all doors and rear deck.
I guess that's it.
Old 11-09-10, 02:37 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

2006 LS430 - Driver's side mirror actuator motor broken. Entire mirror/assembly was replaced (September 2010 at 28k miles). Apprx $700 repair, fixed at no cost by Lexus dealer under 3 year CPO warranty. No other repairs of any kind to date in the car's history.
Old 11-09-10, 03:07 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I got the car in September of 2008. Since then I got done:
Valve cover gaskets, tranny pan reseal, two upper oxygen sensors changed, $130 ichiba spacers to finally overcome than annoying steering vibration from 50 to 70mph, changed two subs and two pairs of front speakers + had modify and rewire the whole system and add an aftermarket amp to get best results, left mirror was changed due to known adjusting/folding failure.
Those were fixes.
I also got $1200 worth in tires, $500 in brakes (rotors + pads + work), hid's in fogs, dynamatted all doors and rear deck.
I guess that's it.
Al LOT of "Options" you added, but you have to have brakes and tires. The other "Maintenance" wasn't excessively expensive, I don't think. I bet the "Toys" you added were more than the required items. Not to be "Proud", but if one is going to drive a "Luxury Vehicle", they have to know the cost of maintaining one.

I have been taught a lesson a while back. "The rich can go out and buy about anything they want, but ONLY THE WEALTHY can keep it and maintain it." Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430