Lexus Dealer Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 11:18 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Reviews

Hi All -

Was reading the thread below on a dealer in NY that is generally accepted to suck and was reminded of the site: http://www.dealerrater.com/reviews/Lexus/
where you can vent about service - good or bad - re: your local Lexus dealer or simply read about others' experiences with someone you're considering using.

I know, I know, any reviews are extremely subjective and you don't always get the WHOLE story but at least it's a starting point where you can weed out the wheat from the chaff with a little due diligence.

Any other dealer review sites you like to use?

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 08-30-10, 11:53 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have pretty limited choices in Lexus dealers - 2 stores in Lansing and Ann Arbor owned by the same management. There are two other dealers closer to Detroit that are owned by a different owner. Thankfully, the Lansing dealer has been fine to deal with.

I was looking at some vacation property in the Eastern UP of Michigan and wondered how close the nearest Lexus dealer was. It was something like 232 miles to Appleton, WI.
Old 08-30-10, 03:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In DFW area I think the 6 or so Lexus dealers are actually owned by either of 2 companies so its like having only 2 dealers unfortunately. The US economy keeps consolidating - in 50 years we will buy all goods and services from the WalmartExonAppleRollinsGE corporation
Old 08-30-10, 11:47 PM
slclexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can add here is if you're ever in SLC, UT stay the fark away from Larry H. Miller Lexus. The idiot general manager and the buffoons he hires are reason enough to avoid this place. But when you factor in the almost purposeful attempt to destroy the "Lexus Covenant" and all it represents you have the final nail in the coffin.

I don't want to get all apocalyptic on y'all, but the world is going to h-e-double toothpicks in a handbag. No one gives a red **** baboon about how they do their job anymore. And yes, it's just that simple.

Okay ... old guy (wish me a happy BD, it's this Friday) rant over with.

Carry on.

Doc
Old 08-31-10, 05:14 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Doc - 100% agree.

I apologize for my own rant in advance -

No matter what Lexus tries to do its hard to find enough employees that will drink the high quality customer service cool-aide.

People that care about quality and doing the job right no matter what are an endangered species.

The root cause is that our pervasive popular culture (in the US) places the highest value on those people that do as little as possible while making as much $ as possible.

So it is inevitable that this same "money for nuthin" value system is ingrained into most of our population these days.

At least in the US, we can no longer buy quality goods even if we wanted to do so - instead the only goods available is cheap &^%(*& manufactured some place that has .50/hr labor rates and uses minimal quality shoddy materials.

The time is coming when quality services will also be unobtainable.

Its not going to change until consumers stop accepting crappy low quality products and demonstrate that they are willing to pay more for better quality products that are well made and will last. Unfortunately given the constant dumbing down of our culture and the abject failure of our schools to produce well educated critical thinkers, I don't think the situation is gonna turn around any time soon.

Sorry for the rant -

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-31-10 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-31-10, 08:55 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the days of the 'over and above' dealer/service experience are getting fewer and far between, especially when calculating how much you're paying for the services rendered. Allow me to retell a service story going back to the early 90's. I've owned several Lexus's starting w/ my first 1990 LS400 in '93. It was used - private party, corp. exec CEO car - but only had 14k on it and perfect in every other way. Took it into the SF Bay Area dealer (Serramonte Lexus) who'd originally sold it to the firm I bought it from and was treated like absolute royalty including a gratis detailing as a welcome gift. Have never forgotten that (and that was the best $100. Lexus could have spent on a customer because I've been a loyal fan ever since). From then on, I'd take it in for service on the way to a business trip and they'd give me a ride to the airport AND pick me up upon returning, all on the house including the weeks free parking - well, almost as I realize they made up for some of it in packed maintenance/service charges. I was in Lexus heaven.

Would or could that happen today? Very doubtful as the bean counters have trumped the proverbial handshake and a smile, make the customer happy as a first priority mantra when it comes to doing business. The Lexus service aspect gradually has dwindled down to what I'd call a step above the norm (though costly) but not a big step. Bottom line, a Lexus is still one fantastic mechanical marvel so let's not let a negative dealer experience turn a potential LS owner completely away.

Good driving -

Will and the Fur Crew

Last edited by mewhee; 08-31-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-31-10, 03:59 PM
slclexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jab and WatFC,

Well stated ... on both your parts.

Whoa. That did not sound right.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more. On some level I wish I were younger and never had a taste of what a true customer-committed car experience was like. At the risk of sounding maudlin, I weep for my nieces and nephews who've come into the driving life expecting nothing and with rare exception, getting pretty much the same no matter what make they drive.

Man, I hear Guy Lombardo limbering up for another run through of Auld Lang Syne. How's that for old, chillun?

Doc
Old 09-01-10, 08:23 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slclexus
All I can add here is if you're ever in SLC, UT stay the fark away from Larry H. Miller Lexus. The idiot general manager and the buffoons he hires are reason enough to avoid this place. But when you factor in the almost purposeful attempt to destroy the "Lexus Covenant" and all it represents you have the final nail in the coffin.
Okay ... old guy (wish me a happy BD, it's this Friday) rant over with.
Doc
Hi Doc -

Had to chuckle at your vent on Larry Miller. Out of curiosity, I went to the ratings site and man, you weren't kidding. 1.1 out of a possible 5 ! Especially liked the lady who picked up her car unwashed w/ the service guys fast food refuse crap spread throughout the interior including a spilled coke. That's gotta be a first
http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/La...s-review-8194/

Happy B'day fellow Lexus Driver! I stopped counting at 50

Will and the Furry Ones
Old 09-01-10, 09:38 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

After dealing with domestic dealerships for so many years, I must have very low standards. I've thrilled that my Lexus dealership is a loaner (not Enterprise riental) car waiting for me, they actual call when the car is ready, and I don't have to shuffle off to wait in line to see a cashier to pay the bill and get my car back. (The service advisor handles the transaction at the desk.) Plus, I can pop into the dealership and pick up a coffee, juice, water, tea, or pop for the road. When my car comes back, it has been washed (maybe not to my exacting standards) and isn't dripping wet because they just ran it through while I was waiting. I feel that all of my issues were fairly evaluated and, if not fixed, there is a reasonable explanation in person and in writing rather than just a note on the receipt "can not duplicate".

Even though I didn't buy my car, new or used, from Lexus of Laning, I feel well treated by the service and sales departments.
Old 09-01-10, 10:15 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Even though I didn't buy my car, new or used, from Lexus of Laning, I feel well treated by the service and sales departments.
That's one of the things I like about reading online rating sites, especially Dealerrater is you get the good along w/ the bad, just as you posted about Lexus of Lansing. Personally, I try to make a point of rewarding over and above service by mentioning the good (when earned) to both management and online where applicable.

Think there's a natural tendency to post problematic experiences far more than good ones and even the good ones probably are 25% posted by shills of friends or family of the dealerships. Still, for the most part you can at least get a general idea of what to expect from a sales/servive standpoint.

Good driving CaddyOwner and thanks for your prolific contributions to the forum -

Will and the Fur Crew

Last edited by mewhee; 09-01-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 03:28 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the vin and service report u guys taught me how to find. New rotors pads 10 k ago was the last time it was at the dealer. The remote start is a plus. Anyone else wants it that's fine also still a lot of bs from Wisconsin.
Old 09-21-16, 09:15 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

In the Sacramento area, Lexus of Roseville does the "ultimate customer experience" thing very well. LOL of course everything costs a fortune. I think they accept bitcoins. I did have the dealer do repair work before I found my current indie. They did a great job and the service advisor took the time to explain everything. I just bought an 04. Found the Lex (and other major) dealers have the good ones.
Old 09-21-16, 09:27 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've worked in the sales side of the car business for various dealerships for over a decade. The problem is most dealerships now are more focused on volume and the bottom line rather than focusing on the individual customer and making it a great overall experience. Most dealers have cut pay-plans for employees and put tiered systems in place so the sales and service people need to churn through customers to hit such unreasonable numbers that personalized service is almost impossible.
Old 09-22-16, 01:07 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
In the Sacramento area, Lexus of Roseville does the "ultimate customer experience" thing very well. LOL of course everything costs a fortune. I think they accept bitcoins. I did have the dealer do repair work before I found my current indie. They did a great job and the service advisor took the time to explain everything. I just bought an 04. Found the Lex (and other major) dealers have the good ones.
tallcaguy, I'm also in the Sacramento area and agree with your assessment of Lexus of Roseville. Not sure if the Lexus of Sacramento location is owned by the same person as Roseville location but I prefer Roseville because they're friendlier, more courteous, and professional. Lexus of Sacramento staff do not appear to enjoy there jobs and it shows. I don't feel particularly valued nor respected as a customer at Lexus of Sacramento and some of the reception and parts staff are just plain rude and/or snobby.

I now have our Lexuses serviced at Folsom Japanese Auto Repair. Are you familiar with the shop, tallcaguy? 5-star Yelp rating and the owner, Loc, is a master technician having worked at Toyota dealerships for 10 years and Lexus dealerships another 10 years!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/folsom-japanese-auto-repair-rancho-cordova
Old 09-22-16, 08:18 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
tallcaguy, I'm also in the Sacramento area and agree with your assessment of Lexus of Roseville. Not sure if the Lexus of Sacramento location is owned by the same person as Roseville location but I prefer Roseville because they're friendlier, more courteous, and professional. Lexus of Sacramento staff do not appear to enjoy there jobs and it shows. I don't feel particularly valued nor respected as a customer at Lexus of Sacramento and some of the reception and parts staff are just plain rude and/or snobby.

I now have our Lexuses serviced at Folsom Japanese Auto Repair. Are you familiar with the shop, tallcaguy? 5-star Yelp rating and the owner, Loc, is a master technician having worked at Toyota dealerships for 10 years and Lexus dealerships another 10 years!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/folsom-japa...rancho-cordova
Agree on Lexus of Sacramento about rude and snobby. Had some work done there. It was waaay overpriced (even for Lexus). I asked about about a 460 that was for sale. Got the distinct impression that I didn't qualify. I also looked at a used 430 there and got the total power sell. Haven't been back since.

Thanks for the suggest on FJAR. I'll take a look. Right now, I use Red Sun Automotive in Rocklin. Lexus certified mechanics. Owner takes the time to explain things. He let me check my car while it was up on the rack. Disabled my tilt/telescope no cost. Did the 6 speed trans software upgrade for 105. So far, it's been small repairs. There's also Japan Motors in West Sacramento. They did a car inspect for me.

The folks at Lexus of Marin def cater to an upscale crowd. I've been to Lexus of Pleasanton. They were pleasant and low key. Both did the "Lexus Customer Service" thing well.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer Reviews