LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise

Old 08-26-10, 11:41 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Soundgate TOYPD2 (was: Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise

I've been thinking about a dedicated iPod integration unit like the Vaistech but am a bit reluctant to pull apart my lovely dash. In the meantime I decided to try the Philips PH2050W cassette adapter that gets rave reviews everywhere, and what a pleasant surprise it is!

I picked one up - at Wal*Mart of all places - for under $10. I'm a bit of an audio geek and make the highest quality MP3s I'm able. I'm not a fan of any lossy format, and portable sound is a bit of a lost cause for me anyway, though I find the 430's stock system truly excellent for what it is. I figured I'd be quite disappointed, but for under $10 it was worth a shot.

To my astonishment, the sound quality vastly exceeds what I ever thought possible from one of these adapters. I had to fiddle with the iPod volume a bit at first (80% seems optimal) and the cleanliness, dynamics, and frequency response are quite good. In some cases I even prefer the sound through the adapter over a burned CD in the car's player.

Sure there's a cable to deal with, there's no track control from the wheel, etc. but I'm happy enough with the sound that I doubt I'll be tearing apart my dash anytime soon to improve the experience.

Highly recommended!

Last edited by thinkin; 09-10-10 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 01:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
I've been thinking about a dedicated iPod integration unit like the Vaistech but am a bit reluctant to pull apart my lovely dash. In the meantime I decided to try the Philips PH2050W cassette adapter that gets rave reviews everywhere, and what a pleasant surprise it is!

I picked one up - at Wal*Mart of all places - for under $10. I'm a bit of an audio geek and make the highest quality MP3s I'm able. I'm not a fan of any lossy format, and portable sound is a bit of a lost cause for me anyway, though I find the 430's stock system truly excellent for what it is. I figured I'd be quite disappointed, but for under $10 it was worth a shot.

To my astonishment, the sound quality vastly exceeds what I ever thought possible from one of these adapters. I had to fiddle with the iPod volume a bit at first (80% seems optimal) and the cleanliness, dynamics, and frequency response are quite good. In some cases I even prefer the sound through the adapter over a burned CD in the car's player.

Sure there's a cable to deal with, there's no track control from the wheel, etc. but I'm happy enough with the sound that I doubt I'll be tearing apart my dash anytime soon to improve the experience.

Highly recommended!
Sounds encouraging. I too am not sure how long my CD changer will be working before it takes a crap and wanted another option. I'm not thrilled about an external cable but understand making the sacrafice. I hate the sound quality of my radio but am hopping this might be similar to the CD player quality.
Old 08-26-10, 01:26 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I mentioned this in CarGuy89's thread the other day. The quality of that Philips cassette adapter (which I currently am using) is really amazing for such a cheap piece of plastic you can buy at WM.

However the funny part is that me and my room mate have spent that same 10.00 probably 10 times over in lost adapters or adapters we have left in traded or sold cars. I think that cassette adapter is probably all that keeps Philips in business these days.
Old 08-26-10, 08:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Sony one isn't as good as I thought I will definitely check out the Philips one.
Old 08-27-10, 06:50 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a cassett adapter and it does have much better quality than a FM transmitter.
Old 08-27-10, 08:24 PM
Needzmuzic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor quality

First things first, I drive a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000gt with a stock 1995 stereo deck. For the last year i've used a cassette adaptor from like 2006. Its had the best quality of any adaptor i've used so far. Im on this forum because im trying to find a new adaptor (my good one has to have the cable in JUST the right spot to get door speakers.) So far all the aux cable and cassette adaptors ive bought either A. Had too much bass. or B. Didn't play through my door speakers. I'm hoping someone on here might have an answer for me?
Old 08-27-10, 08:46 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Needzmuzic
First things first, I drive a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000gt with a stock 1995 stereo deck. For the last year i've used a cassette adaptor from like 2006. Its had the best quality of any adaptor i've used so far. Im on this forum because im trying to find a new adaptor (my good one has to have the cable in JUST the right spot to get door speakers.) So far all the aux cable and cassette adaptors ive bought either A. Had too much bass. or B. Didn't play through my door speakers. I'm hoping someone on here might have an answer for me?
Uhh... not to sound like a Troll but... did you TRY the Philips? I've never heard a single complaint about that adapter, and have never had any "too much bass" issue unless I had too much bass coming out of my iPod. I'm not sure I understand what the adapter has to do with what speakers it comes out of unless as your old one, you have a bad cable.

I can tell you that the other good one is Sony. The Sony's are available on Amazon for between 12 and 15.00 shipped.

The WORST are HP and Insignia.
Old 08-27-10, 08:58 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i tried about 7or more different brands of these adapters(Belkin, Monster, Sony,Philips etc.) . Sadly i dont remember the model of Philips i had but it was on same level as those walmart brands for $3. Sucked.

best ones were Sony 9c and 7c i believe. other brands kept ejecting themselves after a few tracks but Sony was the best sounding and most reliable.
Old 08-28-10, 08:19 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I uses the Philips cassette adapter on long trips. I never had any problem with it and the quality never fail. Very good stuff for being so cheap lol
Old 08-28-10, 09:26 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin

Highly recommended!
I highly recommend the Vaistech unit. While disassembling the dash sounds intimidating, it really isn't that bad. Forum members has supplied full instructions with photos on how to do this installation. I would never have even tried without that help. My thanks to forum members for that. Search for that info.

The Vaistech provides it all. You can tuck a 160 GB iPod in you glovebox (no external wires) and access it thru the dash and steering wheel controls. You don't have to touch the iPod. It will be charged when the car is on, responds when accessed, remembers when it was when you quit, and you virtually forget it's there until you want to remove and add/change music.

By using playlists, you can see the title of each CD and each song as it plays.

This is truly a worthy addition to this car and very professionally done. Couldn't live without it.
Old 09-03-10, 09:44 AM
cmotomn
Driver School Candidate

TOYPD2/LEXPD2 by Soundgate (VAIS SoundLinQ SL2i-UP)

It's the best $75 you'll ever spend on the LS430!

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...products_id=87
Old 09-03-10, 10:46 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmotomn
TOYPD2/LEXPD2 by Soundgate (VAIS SoundLinQ SL2i-UP)

It's the best $75 you'll ever spend on the LS430!

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...products_id=87
For reasons I can't really describe beyond complete impulse, I went ahead and bought this thing. Now I need to find out how to take the factory non Nav radio out without damaging the dashboard when it arrives.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 09-04-10, 10:58 AM
cmotomn
Driver School Candidate

It only takes about 30 minutes to install!

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-52-01-p1.pdf

http://www.sound-repair.com/index.ph...-instructions/
Old 09-04-10, 04:47 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
For reasons I can't really describe beyond complete impulse, I went ahead and bought this thing. Now I need to find out how to take the factory non Nav radio out without damaging the dashboard when it arrives.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
I just ordered one also - seemed like a reasonable deal. $81 dollars shipped. I will post a review once I have it installed and up an running in my car. Looks like installation basically comprises taking the radio out and then plugging in a single cable connector into an open port on the back of the radio - should be relatively straight forward...we'll see. Its silly that Toyota did not provide a simple accessible ipod port on these cars but included a cassette player in 2006. Our 2007 Highlander Limited also has a cassette player but no ipod port. Talk about pre-planned obsolescence...this seems more an example of unplanned obsolescence.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-04-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 06:49 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I just ordered one also - seemed like a reasonable deal. $81 dollars shipped. I will post a review once I have it installed and up an running in my car. Looks like installation basically comprises taking the radio out and then plugging in a single cable connector into an open port on the back of the radio - should be relatively straight forward...we'll see. Its silly that Toyota did not provide a simple accessible ipod port on these cars but included a cassette player in 2006. Our 2007 Highlander Limited also has a cassette player but no ipod port. Talk about pre-planned obsolescence...this seems more an example of unplanned obsolescence.
No kidding Jabber! Honestly I was having a little "buyer's remorse" today now that I have my LS back from the shop for the wheel bearings, whilst listening to my iPod through the cassette deck. The reason why is I had completely forgotten that there is a little power port hidden inside the center console. So theoretically, with nothing more than a single thin cable hidden along the grooves of the center stack from the cassette player to the center console, I could have had an ALMOST as "integrated" feel. It did not help that everything I listened to today still sounded fantastic.

I am still stoked about the ability to control my tracks from the steering wheel though! But you know what, I bet you sound quality itself, won't improve much if at all. I will eat my words if it does, but man does it sound good already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise