LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 07:41 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've decided that I probably am not going to install this thing with the playlist limitations (I don't even use playlists, I just throw all my music into ONE master playlist and turn on the Shuffle mode, then go to any particular song directly on the iPod if I want to) it has, and given the fact that after another 400 mile trip I continue to find the cassette adapter amazingly detailed and crisp.

Moreover, I feel that I'd gain more value from utilizing the port on the back of the radio (not sure if thats where all of this stuff plugs in) from a quality Parrot Bluetooth solution. While having an iPod sitting in my center console may not be the most elegant thing around, picking up my phone and fussing with it while I'm driving, and then having to turn down whatever is on the radio is even worse.

Actually... the ideal solution? A Bluetooth cassette adapter (they do exist) that also had a line input or two for my XM radio and iPod, and which would automatically mute either one and switch to the phone's Bluetooth in the event of a phone call. I don't know why this doesn't exist.
Old 09-10-10, 08:28 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Actually... the ideal solution? A Bluetooth cassette adapter (they do exist) that also had a line input or two for my XM radio and iPod, and which would automatically mute either one and switch to the phone's Bluetooth in the event of a phone call. I don't know why this doesn't exist.
OMG I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT!
I have the Sony cassette adaptor and it's nice, but I hate fussing with plugging it in and unplugging it from my blackberry every time I get in or out of the car. Such a hassle! An A2DP bluetooth cassette adaptor with the streaming music would be IDEAL. I hope someone invents this crap soon.
Old 09-10-10, 08:56 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aypues
OMG I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT!
I have the Sony cassette adaptor and it's nice, but I hate fussing with plugging it in and unplugging it from my blackberry every time I get in or out of the car. Such a hassle! An A2DP bluetooth cassette adaptor with the streaming music would be IDEAL. I hope someone invents this crap soon.
Don't worry... I'm sure the autobots in China have already scanned this thread. It should be somewhere on the internet by tomorrow LOL!
Old 09-11-10, 02:55 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
As far as I can tell, it does not defeat the nav notice. It would be nice if it did. The process to enter simple mode is on p. 11 of the PDF I linked above. I tried the sequence for the VAIS-branded unit to toggle the auto-agree and it didn't seem to do anything, alas.
Well crap! So much for being the same unit with a soundgate sticker on it...
Old 09-11-10, 06:26 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears
Well crap! So much for being the same unit with a soundgate sticker on it...
It is physically the same - even Vais says so. That does not mean, however, that the firmware running on it is identical to the Vais firmware. If there is a way to get the override working with the Soundgate firmware I don't know what it is though; the feature may have just been omitted in that code release.
Old 09-12-10, 02:16 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK... I have installed the toypd2, and tested it with 3 different Ipods, 1 gen nano, late gen nano, and ipod classic 120GB... Works perfectly! powered/charged all units tested as advertised.

Installed such that the unit is in the console, accessible for upgrades, maint, etc. Routed cable carefully from radio to console and entered the console box via drilled hole. Had to be creative as the cup holder wanted to rub the cable and not open/close well, but was able to tuck away sufficiently between console side and framework. I drilled the hole and ovaled it out by as a slot to accommodate the plug and cable from the radio. The hole enters the console box directly under the power socket in the console. I made a false-floor to cover unit and wiring, so it is invisible when the console is open... Only the Ipod cable is visible, coiled up and attached to ipod.

This is a quality unit from initial impressions, even if it does not defeat the gps acknowledgement (have lived with it this long...). Sound is perfect... MD emulation works perfectly and lets you toggle from titles on/titles off. All controls in the car function perfectly with the toypd2.

One caveat: The ipod cable has a rather obtrusive rectangular prisim that contains, I suspect, voltage converter for charging 5V units... It is close to the toy unit, so it can be hidden easily enough, but was not anticipated.

All in all, the best $81 I have spent in a long while...

2004 LS430 ML and NAV w/6 disc in-dash changer

Last edited by Ears; 09-12-10 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 02:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Ears - Thanks for the update on the installation process - glad it is working well for you.
Old 09-14-10, 07:59 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

I just finished installing mine this morning (had a change of heart as I need the cassette adapter for my roving XM tuner) and all I can say is WOW, the thing sounds absolutely amazing! The cassette adapter sound is already top notch as it is, but in my experience, the PD2 brought a whole new depth to my audio. What it primarily does is extend the floor and the ceiling of the music range and thereby broaden the soundstage a bit.

While I am not entirely convinced on recommending to someone that they go drop 150.00 on the VAIS unit and go through the install hassle JUST for sound quality alone, it is DEFINITELY worth doing for the 75 I paid for the Soundgate unit. Now I have my Tape adapter as my dedicated XM "input", MD for the iPod, and CD for the changer. That is more audio options than I could ever possibly want or need. The only final "crowning" touch will be the ability to add a Parrot bluetooth solution, which I may not be able to do now with the PD2 plugged in.

Installation notes:

*All of the information you need for the programming portion of the installation exercise IS within the instruction manual. The minor confusion comes into play because the MD programming process is accurately depicted in the attached pictograms, but the text ABOVE the pictograms is what is missing the final step. I paid more attention to the pictograms anyway as they were decently put together.

*I did not have the patience to get to get the ipod cable, with the fat module adding frustration, all the way into the glovebox. There is certainly a way to do it, and even a nice panel at the back of the box you can route it through, but I decided to route mine out the side of the center console and next to the passenger seat. My primary reasoning for this was due to the fact that I plan to use my iPod in "Simple" mode frequently, and I know others who bring their ipods along in my car will want to do so as well. Perfect placement and easy to conceal my iPod nano between the console and the soft felt material that is next to the seat cushion.

*The instructions specifically tell you to turn ON Soundcheck and turn OFF the EQ settings. Hogwash. I did turn on Soundcheck because that helps level out the volume between songs, but I recommend experimenting with your iPod EQ settings in conjunction with the ***** on the front of the radio. I found the "Jazz" setting to well complement the adjustments on the radio itself.

*Soundgate main unit fit perfectly within a cavity behind, down and to the left of the lower-most wooden panel which contains the Sun-shade and climate controls for the seats. In this location, all I need to do should I ever need access to the "brain" is remove that single wooden panel which is only held on with pressure clips and is relatively pain-free to remove. I do not however, really anticipate ever needing to get to it for any possible reason. Since my XM hardware occupies the center console, this was an ideal solution.

*I recommend leaving the entire instruction manual in your glove-box should you need guidance on switching back and forth from "Simple" mode, or for when the car is passed on to the next owner should you decide to leave the unit in place for them (and trust me, its a REAL selling point).

This is one of the best and most immediately gratifying upgrades you can do to these cars, and really an absolute bargain considering what you get.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-14-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-14-10, 08:54 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it's working out for you Play!

Here's what I did to route the cable to the glovebox (I put my unit in the glovebox as well as the iPod, but you could do it with just the iPod cable if you want to keep the Soundgate/Vais in the dash - I was worried about the Soundgate creating a rattle if I put it back there):

* Take the wood pieces off and the radio unit out.

* Remove the panel below the passenger's side knee airbag, in the footwell. It just pops right off at the front edge with a few clips.

* Put a bright light on the floor there, shining upwards (I used a flourescent shoplight)

* Empty out the glovebox and remove the filter access panel in the back

Now you will see the cable path - the light shining from the footwell behind the glovebox visible through the filter access hole illuminates the area well, and you will also see the light through the open area in the back of the inside of the dash to the right of the radio. There is plenty of space to go either from the dash to the glovebox, or glovebox to dash depending on the size of the connector you wish to use, whichever is easier.
Old 09-14-10, 08:59 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I left my Vais in the dash where it is concealed. I routed the iPod cable into the glove box thru thru the A/C filter opening. Just notched out a corner for the cable and closed the A/C filter cover. The iPod now sits on top of the shelf in the glove box. I put a silicon skin on the iPod so it wouldn't slide around.

Everything is out of site and I only remove the iPod to add/change music.
Old 09-14-10, 09:01 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thinkin
Glad it's working out for you Play!

Here's what I did to route the cable to the glovebox (I put my unit in the glovebox as well as the iPod, but you could do it with just the iPod cable if you want to keep the Soundgate/Vais in the dash - I was worried about the Soundgate creating a rattle if I put it back there):

* Take the wood pieces off and the radio unit out.

* Remove the panel below the passenger's side knee airbag, in the footwell. It just pops right off at the front edge with a few clips.

* Put a bright light on the floor there, shining upwards (I used a flourescent shoplight)

* Empty out the glovebox and remove the filter access panel in the back

Now you will see the cable path - the light shining from the footwell behind the glovebox visible through the filter access hole illuminates the area well, and you will also see the light through the open area in the back of the inside of the dash to the right of the radio. There is plenty of space to go either from the dash to the glovebox, or glovebox to dash depending on the size of the connector you wish to use, whichever is easier.
Great instructions! I'll hang on to these in case I decide to move my 'Pod to the glovebox later on. I figured that getting from behind the center stack to the glovebox would involve removing a few of the panels down there, but by that time I had already decided to go with my "next to the seat" option. We'll see how that works out.

Another tip I forgot to mention is that at least for me (being that I tend to be a little slow to begin with), the whole "hook tool" thing in the PDF radio removal instructions that are floating around threw me for a loop, as I literally understood it to mean you need a hook tool to undo some kind of latch mechanism. I figured out later its just to pry things off with. For that purpose, I came up with something a little less scary than a "hook" tool, which was just to wrap the tip of a large (bigger is better so it isn't too sharp) flat-head screwdriver with a nice high quality polishing cloth I use for watches. This allowed me to get plenty of leverage against the sides of the dash or other areas without worrying about scratches or damage. Be careful not to use so much force that you punch through your covering material. YMMV.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-14-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-14-10, 11:34 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, gang, I'm still confused...

I have a 2001 LS 430 with ML, no Nav. I have the XM connected to FM for modulation use, with the expected mediocre results (static, interference, etc.). I'd like to get my iPod in on the action, but I've been told that I can't have both, because of the wiring in my year model.
I'd like to avoid using the FM for obvious reasons, and also be able to use XM and iPod/iPhone 4, and be able to control all these from the steering wheel. Is any of this possible???
Old 09-14-10, 11:38 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I was in the same boat a few years ago...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...in-my-ls4.html
Old 09-14-10, 12:20 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSDoc
OK, gang, I'm still confused...

I have a 2001 LS 430 with ML, no Nav. I have the XM connected to FM for modulation use, with the expected mediocre results (static, interference, etc.). I'd like to get my iPod in on the action, but I've been told that I can't have both, because of the wiring in my year model.
I'd like to avoid using the FM for obvious reasons, and also be able to use XM and iPod/iPhone 4, and be able to control all these from the steering wheel. Is any of this possible???
Would this work? It's for an iPod, but also has a second input for sat. radio, non-iPod mp3 players etc. I ordered one but have not installed it. Not sure about steering wheel control, however.

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...roducts_id=166
Old 09-14-10, 01:29 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Some LS cars come pre-wired for Satellite radio though I do not know when this began. Mine for example does not have an XM tuner installed, but it does have a SAT button which means I could add a tuner module in the back of the car (at least, someone on Ebay sells an aftermarket one anyway) and then theoretically utilize it as if it were a factory option.

However, I am not going to bother with full XM integration because I carry my XM from car to car and I drive several vehicles and thus, I'd have to pay for multiple XM radios which even at 6.00 a pop per additional radio, can get pricey every month.

So what McSwine suggested would really be your best alternative. That is, iPod control from your steering wheel with direct wired sound quality, plus an XM tuner plugged into the 2nd Auxiliary port of the iPod adapter. This way you can have crystal clear sound from either source, but only full control of the iPod.

Quick Reply: Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise